Letter To The Lapeer County Prosecutor

It's been two days since I sent this letter off to the prosecutor of Lapeer County.

He and I had been interviewed on TV-12 a while ago. I had a chance to chat with him off camera. He seemed to be a very reasonable man. Here is the content of the e-mail I sent to him:

Hello Byron.

I didn't realize that we were outside your office today. It wasn't until I saw you on the news that I realized who you were.

You struck me as a reasonable man, the day I met you.

Our community, the medical marijuana community, has a problem. There are firestorms of arrests of sick people that are taking place these days. Most of us are sick and/or disabled. Myself, I've been diagnosed with cancer since we've met.

What energy I have left in this world, I want to put to the best use possible.

A couple of numbers for you:

Over 1800 people die in Michigan every year from the side effects of "legal" pain killers.

At a cost to the citizens of Michigan of over a half billion dollars per year.

In Michigan alone.

I have a simple bargain: I won't bill your insurance company for my liver transplant. You save money and I stay alive. Seems like a fair trade to me.

To save health care costs and lives in Michigan requires that chronic pain patients have access to this medicine without fear.

The amount of fear that is generated by our government is directly related to these costs and deaths.

Our current on line survey shows that about 80% of chronic pain patients will switch to non toxic marijuana when given the chance.

The raids that have taken place lately will have the unintended effect of larger numbers of these people dying out of fear.

Sorry, I can get long winded.

The purpose of this letter:

We believe that law enforcement in Lapeer county have committed criminal acts. I would like to avoid targeting street level officers. I respect the fact that they were just following orders. Furthermore we still have to exist within these communities when the dust settles.

Please examine this section of our new law:

(h) The following confidentiality rules shall apply:

(1) Applications and supporting information submitted by qualifying patients, including information regarding their primary caregivers and physicians, are confidential.

(2) The department shall maintain a confidential list of the persons to whom the department has issued registry identification cards. Individual names and other identifying information on the list is confidential and is exempt from disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.

(3) The department shall verify to law enforcement personnel whether a registry identification card is valid, without disclosing more information than is reasonably necessary to verify the authenticity of the registry identification card.

(4) A person, including an employee or official of the department or another state agency or local unit of government, who discloses confidential information in violation of this act is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or a fine of not more than $1, 000.00, or both. Notwithstanding this provision, department employees may notify law enforcement about falsified or fraudulent information submitted to the department.

I'm sure that you've already read it. I just wanted it here for reference.

Applications and supporting INFORMATION, including information regarding their primary caregivers and physicians, are confidential.

When confidential information is mishandled by any employee of state or local government, they are supposed to go to jail.

Are you willing to arrest your sheriff pursuant to 333.26426 (h) (4)?

Gersh Avery representing the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association.

If you agree that officers should be held to the same, or even higher, standard that we are please send him a note:

bkonschuh@lapeercounty.org

Nicely done once again PB. We will see if this prosecutor works to protect our individual human rights by arresting these criminals or if he is part of the rogue regime that needs to be voted out.

I noted that medical records were not included in any search warrants issued in the Dryden events.

I believe he is already listening.

Peanutbutter says: "I can get long winded".

Boy, can I relate! : ]

All I can say about that is:

It's a Gosh-darn GOOD THING (and then some!) for us that you CAN!

And, also, that you are so WILLING ...

And, as we can ALL see ...

You are, indeed, VERY MUCH certainly as ABLE to do what you do so well!

To that, I'd just like to say:

"THANKS!"

"Thanks, for doing what you do - as you do so well - for ALL of US".

And, "I'm sure as glad that you're as pointedly sharp-whitted with your well-chosen words as you are so clearly forthright with your truth-laden, fact-filled, powerful statements".

THANKS to ALL of YOU!

(for revealing to the ever Healing World the Truthful, Healthful FACT that ...)

CANNABIS CURES - Without Fears.

(And, it's so good to know we can all be assured to, at least as much as we've been able to, "Do ALL That We Can" to help ...)

FREE The CURE!

(For Humanity's Sake)

Nicely done once again PB. We will see if this prosecutor works to protect our individual human rights by arresting these criminals or if he is part of the rogue regime that needs to be voted out.

Bish,

I think what you can expect this PA to do is to keep on trying to get his name in the paper for 'publicity' in an effort to get himself elected to some tax payer supported political position, such as AG or even maybe a senator's job at some point in the future.

We average citizens are so gullible we still believe these guys ( PAs, AGs, Senators, Congressmen, etc.). have our 'best interest' in mind while they maneuver themselves to get elected into a sweet government job.

And the MMJ patients are easy targets to go after... and it ALWAYS makes headlines... "Huge Dope Bust in Lapeer County" with a long quote by the PA himself.

My letter to the P A of Lapeer Co.

Subject : Losing Battle

Why fight the will of the people.These are civil rights you are messing with.Could be the wrong neck might get caught in the noose. And Karma is a very powerfull force be carefull.Here some good reading The 4th Amendment .Something about elected officials cant make up the rules as they go along

Pb I'm so sorry you are ill, I wish you didn't have to spend all your energy fighting this crap but I am glad you are here helping us win. I won't be surprised if that man you wrote to doesn't reply, or gives you some form letter. If he really was willing to listen, it'll be interesting to see his response. People can "seem reasonable" when they want, then turn around and stab someone in the back, I sincerely hope he isn't one of those. I believe you see the good in everyone, as do I, but sadly it's often buried so deep it seems to be dead. Throughout history there's always been war on the citizenry, we're still in the Dark Ages. Although we're weary of the fight, if we don't fight, we surrender. United we stand, divided we fall, etc.

I've seen so much injustice, not just over this medicine, but everywhere I go.

Right now all I can do is cry.

Sb

Thank you for the indirect answer:

The Lapeer Prosecutor says the Patient records are not confidential under a search warrant:

Asked earlier in the day about objections to the sheriff department's seizure of patient records from CCCM, Lt./Det. Parks said, "It all depends on what you're calling patient records." He acknowledged that he reviewed dispensary documents, including copies of medical marijuana licenses.

Konschuh said patient records would include information regarding a patient’s condition, but he also noted that under a search warrant there’s an exception to patient privilege. He said, “Our position is (that) this isn’t disclosing confidential information.”

Simply making the claim does not make the law go away.

Thank you for the indirect answer:

Simply making the claim does not make the law go away.

You got that right. That definition is not even accurate. The way I have always seen HIPAA interpreted even admitting a person is a patient is protected information. To me that means even the patients name is protected.

Archived