Linux "live"

Running Linux operating System (OS) "live" off of the CD / DVD drive can operate most computers without a hard drive...............

Things needed:

Download an ISO file........http://distrowatch.com/ ................. They are free, pay attention to the top 100 on right side of page

Disc burning software...................Imageburn, a good free one.............http://www.imgburn.com/

A good reliable CD / DVD drive that is write capable.

Some good quality writable Cd's and or DVD's that are consistently reliable for your burner drive. Taiyo Yuden, TDK, Verbatim, etc.

Always burn the image file at the slowest speed possible. Probably 4x with Imageburn.

Great tip... you can also make a flash drive bootable and install your live version of linux to it... this will allow you to set a portion of it for saving settings like bookmarks and desktop layouts.

I am currently running that setup with the newest Ubuntu distribution.

The benefits of running your system off of cd or flashdrive is you are leaving no traces on a hard drive of where you have been or who you have been communicating with, you can take your operating system where ever you go, and with the cd live versions you can boot up your operating system on any computer that has a cd drive. Oh and did we mention, running a live version off of cd means never having to deal with a virus again.

I will try to find some time over the next week to put something together as a walk through. Linux is not the scary beast that many used to think of it as, most distributions these days aim for ease of use and to allow even the computer novice to just do their thing.

Running Linux operating System (OS) "live" off of the CD / DVD drive can operate most computers without a hard drive...............

Things needed:

Download an ISO file........http://distrowatch.com/ ................. They are free, pay attention to the top 100 on right side of page

Disc burning software...................Imageburn, a good free one.............http://www.imgburn.com/

A good reliable CD / DVD drive that is write capable.

Some good quality writable Cd's and or DVD's that are consistently reliable for your burner drive. Taiyo Yuden, TDK, Verbatim, etc.

Always burn the image file at the slowest speed possible. Probably 4x with Imageburn.

u can use a thumb drive and just have it boot usb

I originally used the Ubuntu Linux live CD when I had a virus problem in Windows. I liked it so well that I now have a duel boot system. Linux runs much faster than Windows and is much more secure. The graphics leave something to be desired though.

hi guys

ive been a full time linux user for over 7+ years... i have found it a little tuff to get use to some times but over all im very happy with how it runs... i have always wanted my system to be a little more secure... windows would never fit the bill... the biggest things i have found is dual booting works great... if your a gamer then stay with windows or if you have a special program that you use on windows... as for me im not a gamer so i jumped into linux full time... it is more stable and now easier to use for me... where you will see it shine is true multitasking multi user and runs fast on some systems that windows will only crawl on... it can be made to run desktops that can be a look alike to windows... i have ran linux on an older 386 system and was happy with its speed... if you want to learn more about computers and how they work linux is your way if you only want it to do what it wants then stay on windows... i have installed about every major distro out here just to see how it looks and runs... for the easiest id look at kubuntu or ubuntu...

whats the different between these 2 is both run on debian os which is very stable and easy to control... main diff is in desktop gui ubuntu is using d gnome and kububtu is using kde you can google them to see what they look like... i have ran suse also it is another good one but does lack in some areas...

if anyone wants more info or needs a hand with something on linux let me know i can help on most things and if not i do know where to go out here to find the answer... i do like to use my linux for firewalls and multimedia systems so theres a lot that can be done you just have to want to learn how to do it...

abbe

• 3 months later...

I use umbutu also, yet not always as, like abbe said I also find it a bit hard at times. I just put the disc in

and work with it until my brain starts to hurt ;) then go back to the old comfortable windows (which I don't

know doo-doo about either!). My reason for trying linux is for security also. I'm the gal that swore I would

never have one of these contraptions in my home (computer) to attempting to learn many windows OS's,

the mac 10 OS and the linux. What this has brought me to is going back to school as I found the more I

learn, the less I know :D

• 3 weeks later...

hello all

well if others out here are thinking about running linux or at least trying it please feel free ask your ? here im sure between the others who use it even part time can help in the ? you may have... also if you need a more personal touch do ask as some of us can help when and if were in your area... i run other chat rooms that are linux related and im no guru but do know who and where to find most answers and dont mind helping if i can but in linux theres some reading that has to be done... just let us know...

ps might be nice to get a mmmalinux users group going if theres enough interest in it... just a thought...

abbe

• 3 weeks later...

Archived