Dr Geenthumbs "Big Purps" Grow Journal

Dr Gruber

Wow! Looks wonderful bro!! What about the males? They look good? Bushy indica plants? Do you have plans for reproduce them and made a litle of seeds from this beauty??

Take care bro! and thank's for sharing!

Hmmm...I dont seem to be getting any notice when someone posts on a thread.

I destroy all the males, I dont know anything about breeding and I have a plant count to consider.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand what you're talking about bro! But imo it's always better get a litle number of seeds and it's more obvious when you have a pure line like the Kashmir...you you can get your own Kashmir seeds for the future!

Take care! I stay here waiting!

Not a bad idea...maybe in the future...

I'm pretty sure that Big Purps isn't a pure line, Doc tweaked the Kashmir with something else to improve the yield. I'm not even positive the original Kashmir is a pure line because of it's stability. You would have to ask Doc himself, as he won't give out the genetics of a couple of his own personally created strains.

The problem with making a few seeds and our plant count limits is indeed a hard thing to do properly if you are not a caregiver to enough people.

If it was a pure land-race, there would be much more variation than with a stabilized hybrid in most cases, because pure land-races are genetically programmed to produce a VERY wide range of genetic possibilities because the next spring and summer where they originated from could be drastically different than the previous year. There would have to be a genetically correct phenotype to carry on the genetics that will allow it to subsist until a more favorable climate returns, or the strain would quickly become extinct. An exceptional male will be much harder to find in a single pack of seeds. You can't just pick one male of any strain that has not been flowered and chuck some pollen (you may not like the results). Most casual growers are under the assumption you can do this.

You would either have to grow out all the males, and do an open pollination with all the females, or grow them all out, flower them, and find the best one to pollinate to your best female while keeping a clone of each alive until you know for sure. You could skip the clone part and use the pollen gathered from the best male, but why throw away such a valuable breeding male at that point after all the trouble?

Believe me, I know. I am trying to juggle things in order to keep all my F-13 males going which I want to eventually select from to pollinate my best female, and make a few other crosses for personal curiosity.

That's a hard one DG. Some strains have that weird look, but it is usually on new growth in the vegetative state due to heat and or humidity issues. I would cut to the chase and email Doc the pictures and ask his opinion, as nobody knows the strain better than him. Give them a flush just in case it is a nutrient imbalance.

That's a hard one DG. Some strains have that weird look, but it is usually on new growth in the vegetative state due to heat and or humidity issues. I would cut to the chase and email Doc the pictures and ask his opinion, as nobody knows the strain better than him. Give them a flush just in case it is a nutrient imbalance.

Thanks Porc!

I didnt want to bug Doc but I may have to.

The reason im asking about it is Im getting a real hard time at CLC from one mostly one guy and he tells me that not only am i a bad grower but my plant is dying. Does it look that bad to you?

Thanks Porc!

I didnt want to bug Doc but I may have to.

The reason im asking about it is Im getting a real hard time at CLC from one mostly one guy and he tells me that not only am i a bad grower but my plant is dying. Does it look that bad to you?

The guy is an idiot, so don't listen to him. It doesn't look too bad, but it looks like something is starting to happen.

That's why Doc makes himself available, it's important to him to help anyone with his strains, so email him. I don't think think you would be bothering him at all. Good luck.

The guy is an idiot, so don't listen to him. It doesn't look too bad, but it looks like something is starting to happen.

That's why Doc makes himself available, it's important to him to help anyone with his strains, so email him. I don't think think you would be bothering him at all. Good luck.

Thanks again Porc!

I will send Doc some pics today and see if he can help.

Maybe they are a bit fertilized with Nitrogen..so try to cut it down! use soft flowering stimulators, sea weed stimulators works very fine!

I love aminoacids as it's provides the plant with plenty of nutrients that are taken directly by the plant, by roots of leafs.

For me they look very nice, I will just try to cut the Nitrogen and that's all! Thank's for sharing Dr Gruber, they look promising!

Maybe they are a bit fertilized with Nitrogen..so try to cut it down! use soft flowering stimulators, sea weed stimulators works very fine!

I love aminoacids as it's provides the plant with plenty of nutrients that are taken directly by the plant, by roots of leafs.

For me they look very nice, I will just try to cut the Nitrogen and that's all! Thank's for sharing Dr Gruber, they look promising!

Thanks Ras Pablo!

Funny thing is I didnt feed them anything through Veg and no super high Nitrogen food at all through flower. Ive flushed them down to 195ppm and then after a couple waterings I hit them with 400ppm of Jacks Classic General purpose which is (20-20-20)NPK and the tips burned slightly. I gave them a small flush to stop the burn and thats how they sit now. I'm just going to water or give small feedings for awhile and see if the color returns to normal.I've also got some leaf curl at the top of the plant...stilll trying to nail that down.

Thanks for your input.

The leaves also show some moisture stress to me. Really low room humidity maybe? Idk they look fairly healthy too me, all minor stuff.

The leaves also show some moisture stress to me. Really low room humidity maybe? Idk they look fairly healthy too me, all minor stuff.

Thanks!

I think you may be right about the moisture stress but i havent been overwatering.. Leaves at the top are curling up. ive raised the lights a bit and they seem to be returning to normal. I do have low humidity ...going to see if i can raise it up a bit.

Those sure are some gorgeous ladies you have there and it leads me to believe in the classification of Afghanis as there own subspecies following Indica and Sativa as well as Ruderalis . Do you water from above > ? I have read that afghanis must be waterd from the bottom in order to thrive properly ! It makes logical sense with many Indicas originating from dry arid regions . They dont get much rainfalll and have to take water from below . I am noticing a small amount of water retention in your leaves . But hey many may and will most likely disagree but I just wanted to shed some light on this subject . If you decide to water from below and notice a change . please let me know or keep us all posted .Peace

I do water from above, dont really have a set up to water from the bottom. I seem to get that moisture stress thing going on with a lot of my strains. Could it be low humidity? Other then watering form the bottom do you have any ideas how to fix this problem? At the top of the plant I get leaf fringe standing up and looking like a taco, do you know what causes this or is that what you are refering to? Any ideas would be helpful...its one of my last remaining problems in my room and it would be a big corner to turn...thanks!

Have u checked the temps near your plant tops doc..it really looks like the standard "Holy bunny muffin its hot" leaf position to me..i get it often in my little donkey grow tent. Try checking the temps at plant tops to see thats the case. A fan blowing over your bulb would help cool it down if its a HID. But you look like you have your bunny muffin together so your prolly running an air cooled hood of some kind.

sorry for the ramble..i blame the chemdawg.

Peace Lilman

Low humidity is not what I am seeing . The tips usually get a little dry from that . I really would need to know more about your tecniques of growing to be more acurate . It may very well be excess sodium in the h20 thats built up in your soils over time , perhaps another mineral as many are salts as well . what some people call good fertilizer ie fox farms is still salt with other things added . So many variables come into play . Still salts can make leaves thicker than normal and have that appearance , just as light overwatering can do or poor soil aireation as well as soil compacting . Many growers fail to achieve a ten percent runoff when watering by hand due to convenience of no spill or they simply know no better . It really helps to flush out the buildups regularly .My first grow at 14 lol I learnt this by having Afghanis in a crappy cheap peat based medium and my leaves looked alot like yours do . My soil was compacted and I was using softend water . Anyways my friend good luck I hope you get this figured out ......

Compacted soil huh? How do I tell if I have that?

Well, I do get at least 10-20% runoff and I flushed the crap out of them and it didnt seem to help.

Have u checked the temps near your plant tops doc..it really looks like the standard "Holy bunny muffin its hot" leaf position to me..i get it often in my little donkey grow tent. Try checking the temps at plant tops to see thats the case. A fan blowing over your bulb would help cool it down if its a HID. But you look like you have your bunny muffin together so your prolly running an air cooled hood of some kind.

sorry for the ramble..i blame the chemdawg.

Peace Lilman

I was thinking that too, so i moved the lights away from the tops and it didnt change....???? I dont have a cooled hood but I do have a fan blowing directly on the bulbs, temps are about 81 degrees at the top of the plant. 77 degrees overall in the room.

what size pot you using ?

5 gal

Thanks everyone!

IME with pure Indicas, imho similar to this Kashmir improved, they need big pots specially when they are grown indoors and in commun substrate ( spaghnum peat + perlite + vermiculite + organic matter if you wan't to add).

This kind of indicas are adappted to very dry soils, so their roots are obligated to go deeper in soil searching for nutrients and specially water, so what I would recommed you is grow this kind of pure Kushy indicas in bigger pots with very moisture substrate to let roots grow freely.Also the substrate must pass periods been dry and then add water as much as you think plant will need, then let the substrate et dry again until the plant ask you for more water! Also I will go better with aminoacids than direct NPK as this kind of plants love's nutes but in low concentrations so they can get each time what they need without gettin overfertilized, obviously in middle flower they'll enjoi very much higher PK concentrations and some flower stimulators!

Hope the info. helps and sorry for my bad english...

Watering from the bottom is an invitation to disease and deprives the plants of oxygen

Excellent point Doc GT , Good to see ya posting ,

Gotta keep the Organization goin in the Root-Zone . That's why I like the Square Roots fabric 7-gallon pots watering from above from the Center Root-ball & then outwards . Works like a Charm ,,,

Archived