Thrips....?

Never had any pest problems in the past. Recently I've obtained several batches of clones, from different sources. First I found powdery mildew, and got rid of it using a sulfur burner.

Then I found spider mites, got rid of them using chemical spray.

This morning I found this.....looks like thrips.....

71fa7635d9d26530075a.jpg

I found two thrips on the top surface of one leaf, I don't think the infestation is very severe yet.

Does anyone have a sure way to eliminate these gentlemen....?

Spray the leaves with alcohol and water and keep temps cool. Squish them with your fingers. Stay alert! They are some tenacious little jerks.

There is a plethora of sprays ranging from natural to completely synthetic. You can order lacewing larvae and other predators that can probably easily take care of the problem at this stage. I think that is the cool way to do it. I don't know how surefire it is, but the early stage of an infestation seems to be the best time to use predators.

Spray the leaves with alcohol and water and keep temps cool. Squish them with your fingers. Stay alert! They are some tenacious little jerks.

There is a plethora of sprays ranging from natural to completely synthetic. You can order lacewing larvae and other predators that can probably easily take care of the problem at this stage. I think that is the cool way to do it. I don't know how surefire it is, but the early stage of an infestation seems to be the best time to use predators.

I will try the alcohol spray today. Can you tell me the mix ratio...?

Then I'm gonna get me some predators.......

Thanks for the extreemly fast replys......

I will try the alcohol spray today. Can you tell me the mix ratio...?

Then I'm gonna get me some predators.......

Thanks for the extreemly fast replys......

One site says 1 - 2 cups 70% isopropyl alcohol per quart of water. Add Safer's or Dr. Bronner's liquid soap.

Alcohol Sprays

The idea of using rubbing alcohol as a spray for plants pests has been around for years. Can cause leaf damage on African Violets, and Apple trees.

Protection offered: Alcohol sprays work on aphids, mealybugs, scale insects, thrips and whiteflies. Alcohol sprays have been used successfully on houseplants and tropical foliage plants. Most of these have heavy, waxy cuticles that are not easily burned.

How to Make: Use only 70% isopropyl alcohol(rubbing alcohol): mix 1 to 2 cups alcohol per quart of water. Using undiluted alcohol as a spray is very risky for plants. You can also mix up an insecticidal soap spray according to the dilution on the label but substitute alcohol for half of the water required.

How to Use: Since alcohol can damage plants always test your spray mix on a few leaves or plants first. Tests results should show up within 2 or 3 days.

When fighting any pest infestation it is important torealize that one application of whatever you use is not enough.. You need to initially anihalate the little jerks.. Spray strong spray long soake them fers.. Then in a matter of 3 to 7 days their eggs are going to be hatching so you want to time it so that you are killing the bugs that have just hatched before they are mature enough to lay eggs of their own. So treatment is at least a two phase deal..

Hey I had these pesky ctitters one... The best stuff that works 100% is spinosad Its all organic... I found it in Captain Jacks DeadBug Brew... The spinosad is the important part. One application and they were gone.... Just trust me on this use Spinosad.. It is 100% organic... I promise if you have a thrip problem you wont after this...

Spinosad has been formulated into two commercial products registered for use in commercial agriculture, including DowAgros' Conserve SC, and Entrust. Entrust is approved for use on USDA certified organic produce.

There are several home garden products manufactured for use in the United States including Monterey Garden Insect Spray manufactured by Lawn and Garden Products, Inc. and 'Borer, Bagworm, Tent Caterpillar & Leafminer Spray' manufactured by Ferti-Lome. Bonide Products has introduced spinosad in its Captain Jacks Dead Bug Brew insect control product line

Archived