Pruning Way Back

Big J

I recently heard of a caregiver cutting back all branches after toping and having just 2 main stems with no branches just fan leaves. I heard he got the same yield as having a bushy plant. could this be?

Interesting idea. In the right size tote you could get a few plants in there with out blocking one another's light.

Theory's, ideas, comments just curious.

I have seen a plant like that sort of because something got to it and just the main stem was left the cola was real large for a plant that was planted late in the summer. It was some time ago, he had 2 plants in his yard 1 right next to where you pulled up. You had to pull in just right to get out of your car lol. This was before our law.

i actually prefer to leave the top 4-5 nodes instead of just the first couple. it will help keep the "worthless" lower shrubbery out of the way on most strains.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/18150-need-your-grow-questions-answered-come-on-in/page__view__findpost__p__256837

BUT, you still cannot squeeze a bunch of plants in one tote.... the roots need their space as well.

med_gallery_13801_60_147606.jpg

here's a picture from a recent hightimes mag:

gallery_13801_182_103127.jpg

with autoflower plants like that, one could probably squeeze 6 or 7 in a tote..... the roots wouldnt be so happy, but it could be done.........

and those 6-7 plants would probably yield 6-7oz at most........ the same as the single plant pictured above.....

the pic above took 2 weeks longer than an average autoflower plant, and yielded just as much as 6-7 of them.

i just can't see killing my plant count like that just to fit more plants in one tote.

thats a GREAT question btw.

Oh yeah obviously you would not want to put 6 plants in a tote I was thinking maybe 4 in a 20 gallon might work

. Also he was saying he only had two branches. Kindle like the autoflowers in the picture but two colas per plant.

So you would be cutting to much away to get a good yield?

It would not put more energy into building the two colas?

yeah the room for roots would be an issue. the other issue with it, J, is that changing the water in a 20 Gallon tote (if you're not recirculating) is gonna be twice as difficult for those of us with bad backs.

Actually bubblegrower found the solution to that a water pump like he did in the dog cage scrog.

I was just thinking you could use a battery operated hand held pump. They sell them for removing water from boats. Or you could do like I am doing to change out my nutes I got a pump from harbor tool and freight. I put a hose in the res and another into a different container and hand pump the water out. Works like a champ. I had to do that because there is seriously limited space where I am growing.

If only Wyoming would lift the ban. I could build a room at home.

yeah the room for roots would be an issue. the other issue with it, J, is that changing the water in a 20 Gallon tote (if you're not recirculating) is gonna be twice as difficult for those of us with bad backs.

I use a small 110V pump. It will move about 5 GAL per min. I pump the old out & the new in. It is a back saver, I use a pump just like it in my mix tank & an air stone. It works nice for mixing!

Archived