Msp Trooper To Spend Week In Jail

http://themorningsun.com/articles/2011/01/22/news/doc4d39fb67a16d3284634789.txt

A Michigan State Police Motor Carrier officer on Friday recounted several instances of inappropriate behavior involving a trooper being sentenced for assault in Isabella County Trial Court.

Recalling the event that led to Trooper Jeff Dilts' arrest, the officer told Judge Mark Duthie that Dilts touching her breast during a training exercise in April was deliberate.

While Dilts’ attorney, Matthew Smith of Grand Rapids said the touch was accidental during a session where officers were being trained on how to prevent someone from taking their weapons, Duthie disagreed.

Dilts’ wife wept in the gallery when Duthie sentenced him to a 30 days in jail with 23 days suspended if he successfully completes one year of probation.

Because Dilts is a police officer, Duthie agreed to let Isabella County Jail Administrator Tom Recker determine if Dilts should be housed at that facility for a week or be transferred to another.

Duthie’s sentence came after Smith spoke of his client trying to apologize after the incident and that it would be “ludicrous” to intentionally touch the officer during a training session in the presence of about 25 police officers.

Smith said that Dilts has more than 21 years with the state police, beginning as a motor carrier officer before graduating from trooper school.

Dilts has no other criminal convictions and has “diligently served” in his role as a police officer, Smith said, adding that the charges against his client have cost him about $50,000 in wages, attorney fees and other costs.

Smith also said it is nearly certain that the incident will cost Dilts his job.

“At this point, it seems clear that his police career is probably over,” Smith said. “His future as a trooper is significantly in doubt.”

Meanwhile, the victim spoke of not only the April incident at the state police post in Mt. Pleasant but several others in which she said Dilts made sexual references or was antagonistic.

She said she wanted the “whole truth” to be known and that both she and the state police as an institution deserve to be treated better.

While speaking to Duthie, the woman said Dilts made her feel inferior when she asked him questions and would tell her he was praying for her.

She also said she was shocked and angry when the incident occurred.

“This was not an accident,” she said. “This was not an accident or horseplay in any way.”

Assistant Attorney General Jim Metz asked Duthie to give Dilts jail time, in part because of past behavior.

Metz cited an incident in 2004 in which Dilts pulled an Isabella County dispatcher back in her chair and kissed her on the lips.

Smith countered that although inappropriate, Dilts kissed the dispatcher because he was grateful to her for sending another officer on a call because he was busy working.

In sentencing Dilts, Duthie said there is no doubt that his conduct was wrong and constituted unwanted, offensive behavior.

Duthie also noted that Dilts could have been charged with fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct.

“As a police officer, you take an oath to uphold the law,” Duthie said, adding that Dilts’ actions “reflect horribly” on the state police.

Duthie also acknowledged that Dilts did a lot of good during the course of his career.

Dilts, who pleaded no contest to assault and battery, was originally charged with misconduct in office and assault.

Definition of a pig. He should neve again be able to be an officer of the law.

Where so you see any proof that he really did what they claim he did or are you just one of those people who think all cops are bad cops for no real reason? IF he did do it then yes he would be a disgrace to the force, but if he didn't and its just someone looking for what ever they are looking for he is a victim of the system. I don't see a way for you to arrive at your logic at all from that article it gave no real details of what happens how he was attempting to demonstrate disarming someone could involve in grazing the persons body.

Just need to have more info before you judge someone like that these types of stories are all he said she said.

If the supposed kissing incident in 2004 happened and it really bugged her she would have come forward with something then not wait till not she is just out to get something.

Where so you see any proof that he really did what they claim he did or are you just one of those people who think all cops are bad cops for no real reason? IF he did do it then yes he would be a disgrace to the force, but if he didn't and its just someone looking for what ever they are looking for he is a victim of the system. I don't see a way for you to arrive at your logic at all from that article it gave no real details of what happens how he was attempting to demonstrate disarming someone could involve in grazing the persons body.

Just need to have more info before you judge someone like that these types of stories are all he said she said.

If the supposed kissing incident in 2004 happened and it really bugged her she would have come forward with something then not wait till not she is just out to get something.

Last part of it,

Dilts, who pleaded no contest to assault and battery, was originally charged with misconduct in office and assault.
. Sorry, but if I did not do that, I would fight for my innocence and my job.

Last part of it, . Sorry, but if I did not do that, I would fight for my innocence and my job.

Yea i dont agree with taking plea deals but you don't know the full details of the case it may have just been the best way out instead of spending more money at a trail which he didn't have and chance losing it there, but you people gotta understand just becuase someone says someone is guilty does not mean they are, people do it all the time to us but as soon as its on someone else people join the bandwagon. why wait six years to mention a supposed kiss i wouldn't trust that woman at all.

Think of the way the world is right now this is not the first or last sexual harrasment claim by a woman in the workplace and I have seen some where I personally know the accused and know they would not do what they are being accused of but still loose their job because of the risk factor of it.

Maybe the state police need training classes separated by gender? (Assuming a lesbian officer conducting the training would not have committed the offense on a female officer's breast, maybe an erroneous assumption?) And is the offense a form of violence and arrogant insult, or is sexually motivated--the offender's wife was present in court. If it was sexually motivated--a need for partner variety--maybe as a couple he and his wife needed to do some swinging with other couples to (in a socially acceptable manner) allow him to experience another woman (and his wife another man) in a much lesss destructive mode to his career and their lives?

are you making exscuses for this cop. He his dirty no if and or buts. if you or I kissed anyone like that we would b in jail atleast here in branch county. I've seen past police chiefs drunker then a skunk out at the rec. bowling alley "here in coldwater" and get into their car and drive away they could barely stand up. and the cops one year had a xmas party in bronson at the bowling alley and the same thing pretty much. it all get swept under the table. I've had probation officer tell me that I was getting screwed. my atty joe hayes was not working for me. and told me that I should fight my case they have no evedince it was all stolen by the ups driver. so I talk to my atty he says nothing he can do. I later find out this is bull my sister ended up being a police officer and when she was taking her classes they talked about my case.the instructor said It should have been throw out. they say I have a case for the aclu for my atty and the judge violating my civil rights. 1 not working on my best intrest. 2 the judge spoke with my family and had work release taken away2 times because of family. now I my be wrong here but I was told. that what they did was wrong.and did not follow court rules.

Dirty cops need to go to prison / no second chances

are you making exscuses for this cop. He his dirty no if and or buts. if you or I kissed anyone like that we would b in jail atleast here in branch county. I've seen past police chiefs drunker then a skunk out at the rec. bowling alley "here in coldwater" and get into their car and drive away they could barely stand up. and the cops one year had a xmas party in bronson at the bowling alley and the same thing pretty much. it all get swept under the table. I've had probation officer tell me that I was getting screwed. my atty joe hayes was not working for me. and told me that I should fight my case they have no evedince it was all stolen by the ups driver. so I talk to my atty he says nothing he can do. I later find out this is bull my sister ended up being a police officer and when she was taking her classes they talked about my case.the instructor said It should have been throw out. they say I have a case for the aclu for my atty and the judge violating my civil rights. 1 not working on my best intrest. 2 the judge spoke with my family and had work release taken away2 times because of family. now I my be wrong here but I was told. that what they did was wrong.and did not follow court rules.

Dirty cops need to go to prison / no second chances

So you know for a fact beyond a doubt that he really did kiss her? why should we believe her she waited six years to report it clearly it did not bother her then. Also just because the instructor says your case should be thrown out does not mean anything if he handled the cases he would not be an instructor he would be a judge, Im sure you have opinions of cases that got thrown out that clearly shouldn't have so why should the same not apply to him? He can have his opinion but still not his call.

Yea i dont agree with taking plea deals but you don't know the full details of the case it may have just been the best way out instead of spending more money at a trail which he didn't have and chance losing it there, but you people gotta understand just becuase someone says someone is guilty does not mean they are, people do it all the time to us but as soon as its on someone else people join the bandwagon. why wait six years to mention a supposed kiss i wouldn't trust that woman at all.

Think of the way the world is right now this is not the first or last sexual harrasment claim by a woman in the workplace and I have seen some where I personally know the accused and know they would not do what they are being accused of but still loose their job because of the risk factor of it.

They didnt wait, it was a cited incident from 04. So that incident was reported.... It would seem that either way he is loosing his job. How hard is it to say "Not Guilty Your Honor". She would have to prove that he did something right?

Metz cited an incident in 2004 in which Dilts pulled an Isabella County dispatcher back in her chair and kissed her on the lips.

Smith countered that although inappropriate,.......

Either way, someone says that I sexually harassed or assaulted them and I didnt do it, then I am not going to plead "No Contest", but I guess that is just me....

Imo Double punishment for all justice officials who are convicted.. jest sayin..

Amen , every day we are reading in the paper how thi chief or police, this ex chief of police, or this police offecer ot this judge,If they take on the role to UPHOLD the laws and are suppose to know them better than us..Thn why when they break a law..they do not get any punishment? A week in jail? thats it? you go foundle a co-worker and see if you get more than a week n jail...SO AMEN!!!!double trouble..Bet they think twice setting in jail with all they sent..

Something is wrong when kissing and hugging are Criminal Offenses.

It was a training exercise,

there were 25 other witnesses,

she was on the Payroll, what if it was a perp ?

What would she do had it not been training ?

Take out her 44mag and give him a new a$$ hole ?

...I think they should have to serve it to.get.her married for a week. No sex. Work it out. Take care of six kids. No TV except them Live 24/7. JailhoussMusik. Glass walls ....

Archived