If You Had To Choose...

JimD

At first, I was leaning toward a hydro/aero grow in a locked metal storage cabinet. I'd obviously need two of those for a perpetual grow, minimum. Now that I have started to add up the cost of all the necessary pieces and modifications, I am beginning to lean toward fabricating some cheap walls to make a large box I can divide into two or three sections for seedling/clones, veg and flowering. I figure I have about $200-$400 to spend, and my med usage is about 2oz per month. I am pretty well versed in most trades, and I do have a wide variety of tools. What do you think...a room or a stealth grow in cabinets?

A room.

Oriented strand board (OSB) is cheaper and stronger than drywall. It paints nicely and you can hang anything you want from it.

For ventilation on a small room, you can use these:

gallery_1942_552_33840.jpg

They're cheap and mine have been running for three years without a hitch. You can find them here: http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/Technologies/Product.aspx?ProductID=SP101A1123HSTGNSUNON8904799

If you need any help, PM me.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Thanks for the information! My biggest concern was the whole "locked facility" thing. I was not sure if semi-permanent walls would qualify. OSB sounds like a good choice, I had actually thought about using furring strips sandwiched between veneer and Styrofoam for the walls. At the very least, a bigger area would allow me to have a larger reservoir for my nute solution. I suppose it is a bit like choosing a fish tank, always go with the biggest one you can afford so that chemistry changes are spread over a larger volume. ;)

If you totally enclose the box/room and put a lock on the door you have a locked facility. As long as you cant remove the walls from the outside without using power tools then i think your safe if built well and sturdy. Another option would be a tent but if you have the skills and resources to make your own room i would go that way. That does bring up an interesting question though. Does a tent need to be behind a locked door since you could just cut through it with any knife to get in?

Does a tent need to be behind a locked door since you could just cut through it with any knife to get in?

Paranoia will destroy ya.

Going to jail will wreck ya.

What would a judge say? If I had a tent, it would be in a locked room or basement. If nobody other than the caregiver and or patient live there, the exterior door or doors will do.

Paranoia will destroy ya.

Going to jail will wreck ya.

Aye, I think when a 5-15yr federal jail sentence is in the mix there is no such thing as paranoia, only good sense. Since I am new here, I'll add this;saying that should not be taken as some type of slight to anyone, what you do is your business. ;)

JimD, Im in a simular situation, my CG and I are finishing my cabinet now with clones going in on March 1st.

This is the set up we went with:

4'w x 8'l x 6'h

2" x 3" framing ----17 @ 8'......................$1.70= $29.00

1/2" osb floor ----1 sheet ......................$8.00= $8.00

7/16" osb front(doors) & top ----3 sheets........$7.00= $21.00

1/2 dry wall ---4 sheets ........................$6.50= $26.00(we found 5 sheets for 75% off in the cull pile)

4" inline duct fan ............................... $25.00 ^ $10 :thumbsu:

oscilating fan........................................ on hand

2 bubble totes ............................... $60.00

4' cfl (starter) for veg ............................. on hand

400 hps ballast,bulb,reflector (Famtek)............... $200.00

nutes................................................. $30.00

hardware(hinges,hasps,screws,brachets) ............... $20.00

casters .............................................. $30.00

DIY air filter ....................................... $20.00

paint ..........................

I recommend either 6' or 8' tall/long to maximize sheet goods. It looks like we have less than $500 out of pocket but we still need meters and other sheet.The box is starting out divided into 2 4'x4' chambers, eventually divider will be removed and a seperate veg chamber will be built. The vent fan and HPS light aren't battle tested I will update when we know more... Locked cabinet in a locked out-building. It looks like a large storage cabinet. I hope this helps.

happy growing

SH

JimD, Im in a simular situation, my CG and I are finishing my cabinet now with clones going in on March 1st.

This is the set up we went with:

4'w x 8'l x 6'h

2" x 3" framing ----17 @ 8'......................$1.70= $29.00

1/2" osb floor ----1 sheet ......................$8.00= $8.00

7/16" osb front(doors) & top ----3 sheets........$7.00= $21.00

1/2 dry wall ---4 sheets ........................$6.50= $26.00(we found 5 sheets for 75% off in the cull pile)

4" inline duct fan ............................... $25.00 ^ $10 :thumbsu:

oscilating fan........................................ on hand

2 bubble totes ............................... $60.00

4' cfl (starter) for veg ............................. on hand

400 hps ballast,bulb,reflector (Famtek)............... $200.00

nutes................................................. $30.00

hardware(hinges,hasps,screws,brachets) ............... $20.00

casters .............................................. $30.00

DIY air filter ....................................... $20.00

paint ..........................

I recommend either 6' or 8' tall/long to maximize sheet goods. It looks like we have less than $500 out of pocket but we still need meters and other sheet.The box is starting out divided into 2 4'x4' chambers, eventually divider will be removed and a seperate veg chamber will be built. The vent fan and HPS light aren't battle tested I will update when we know more... Locked cabinet in a locked out-building. It looks like a large storage cabinet. I hope this helps.

happy growing

SH

so you dont have a caregiver? im lost u said both u and your cargiver went with this? so both of u grow your plants? be carefull what u put on here LEO is always watching!!!

Nice SpartanH! That is nearly identical to what I am aiming for, right down to the inline duct fans. I am hoping I can get it done for around 300 so I can spend more on meters and gadgets. :lol: I believe I'll also do a step by step post. ;)

Thanks for the information! My biggest concern was the whole "locked facility" thing. I was not sure if semi-permanent walls would qualify. OSB sounds like a good choice, I had actually thought about using furring strips sandwiched between veneer and Styrofoam for the walls. At the very least, a bigger area would allow me to have a larger reservoir for my nute solution. I suppose it is a bit like choosing a fish tank, always go with the biggest one you can afford so that chemistry changes are spread over a larger volume. ;)

Consider keeping your Res on the Outside if possible. It stays cooler and much easier to service/ maintain.

u mean like vegging small plants? i u mean budding.....um maybe in dixie cups.lol

I was thinking overhead as my primary light for flowering. I could always add a few cfls, but if it would be more effective to move up to a 400w, I guess that's where I'd go. Thanks!

so you dont have a caregiver? im lost u said both u and your cargiver went with this? so both of u grow your plants? be carefull what u put on here LEO is always watching!!!

It's really not that difficult to follow; I have a caregiver, WE built a cabinet. I in no way implied I was growing.

Archived