New Cg - Can I Acquire Meds For My Pt Before First Harvest?

I am a new Caregiver for a homebound Patient, they are my first and only Patient. Can I acquire meds for them before their first harvest? If so, would they have to come from a Caregiver who is also a Patient, or can it come from a Patient only, or Caregiver only? Would it have to be overages from a CG? How do I go about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am a new Caregiver for a homebound Patient, they are my first and only Patient. Can I acquire meds for them before their first harvest? If so, would they have to come from a Caregiver who is also a Patient, or can it come from a Patient only, or Caregiver only? Would it have to be overages from a CG? How do I go about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can Purchase from anyone for your patient. Read the Law a few times and you should understand.

You can Purchase from anyone for your patient. Read the Law a few times and you should understand.

Thanks!.. I have read the law many times, I am still unclear on a few things. So, I can acquire meds for my patient from another caregiver and/or patient?...But aren't caregivers to provide meds to their registered patients only? How is it that a caregiver can get rid of overages to people other than their registered patients? Does it work like, Caregiver A has 2.5 oz's over the limit, they transfer that to Caregiver B who is under his limit by more than 2.5 oz's?? So it's all legal?

Also, does the 2.5 oz of usable marijuana include buds that are drying/curing?

Like I said, I am a new CG, I plan on becoming more involved with compassion clubs and the likes. I am doing this to help out a relative who has many health problems, not for money or any other reason, but growing is becoming very fun, so that may be a reason too!!

You can acquire meds by any means necessary.. heck, "supposedly" even an uncarded street dealer is covered under law for that transaction, the way I read the law..

Section 4 is what you need to look at.. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28mprysm55z44qn1ncbd0bae3b%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-Initiated-Law-1-of-2008

These are ALL things you NEED to know.. print out the law, spend a few days, WITH a highlighter... after a few reads (some parts far more pertinent than others, obviously) you will see some REALLY interesting and awesome things..

7e - All other acts and parts of acts inconsistent with this act do not apply to the medical use of marijuana as provided for by this act

Pretty cool... :thumbsu:

Thanks!.. I have read the law many times, I am still unclear on a few things. So, I can acquire meds for my patient from another caregiver and/or patient?...But aren't caregivers to provide meds to their registered patients only? How is it that a caregiver can get rid of overages to people other than their registered patients? Does it work like, Caregiver A has 2.5 oz's over the limit, they transfer that to Caregiver B who is under his limit by more than 2.5 oz's?? So it's all legal?

Also, does the 2.5 oz of usable marijuana include buds that are drying/curing?

Like I said, I am a new CG, I plan on becoming more involved with compassion clubs and the likes. I am doing this to help out a relative who has many health problems, not for money or any other reason, but growing is becoming very fun, so that may be a reason too!!

As others have said read, read, read! As to the buds that are drying/curing they are not yet usable so there is your answer. I have heard many recommend that while drying/curing you should not split the plant apart, rather cure it as a whole so that it is only one plant. Once you break down to stems each stem could be considered a plant.

sorry i didnt even read waht the others wrote..

Why didnt you figure all this out before becoming a c.g to your sick family member?

Its not a game, pt is going to be counting on you for an unlimitied, uninterupted supply of their meds....

seems you should have been asking these questions before you sent in c.g paper! any one can go on the street and get crap weed, but not every one can get mm grade smoke w/o knowing some one. or growing fro them selves as a pt!

k I went easy on ya! I do wish you luck! and I realy wish your pt luck!

mimom.......said i could be a c.g if i wanted too! :rolleyes:

Must be nice to have it all figured out then eh?

Dudes just asking some legit questions, questions I've asked different lawyers and got shrugs and "it's all up in the air" for answers. Can't hurt to get as many different points of view on the matter as possible. I kind of thought thats what these forums were for.

I notice while you went "easy" on him, you failed to give any real useful advice pertaining to the question he asked. It's true that it is not a game, what it IS is a complicated, vague and extremely high stakes endevor, so I think we should all help each other as much as possible. You start judging and shouting down people who ask questions that you deem unworthy and people stop asking questions and communication stagnates. Thats not good for anyone.

As I understand the law (and at this point its ALL just up to interpretation) you are good to purchase from anyone who has it. It won't mean THEY are legal...in fact selling marihuana in any way shape or form is still illegal. you cant even sell it to your patient, they pay you for the service of growing it. (thats what my crack legal team tells me anyway )

just some thoughts.

...............Read the Law a few times and you should understand.

i haven't read any other posts contained in this thread, this one stopped me dead in my tracks, and i had to address this

seriously? i've been here (MMMA) for almost 2 years now. while my post count may be low (haven't posted a lot since the MMMA has changed sites, and my post count was reset to 0 during the move), i've been here a while. i have seen an evolution in the understanding and view of what the law provides for. it has been getting more and more liberal (the view, not the law), and i don't know that i would wager my schnitt (including my freedom) on the ever-increasing liberal views here. i like to think of the law liberally, but that's because i'm on this side of the fence. as evidenced by the increasing leo raids and the push of our government to limit our rights (and, they are the ones holding the power to put me in jail), the view of the law is also evolving for those with a conservative view of it.

the lawyers on this site will not give you a clear cut answer on anything, as things change on a case by case basis and they wouldn't be caught dead with their you-know-what in that wringer.

so, if a lawyer cannot give a clear cut answer, how can any of us? you're pretty safe in your answer, but to say anything is clear cut in this law is dangerous ground.

but, to send it back to be re-written and clarified would only leave us with a couple crumbs of the original (hel, they're even trying to take away our rights to grow the stuff!)

Locate a Cc (Compassion club) in your area or an experienced CG to speak with to help you progress as CG, both your patient and you will benefit.

Being a caregiver is a huge responsibility and a lot of work if you're not prepared. Education is paramount in the area of cultivation but it also takes practical hands on growing to start to understand the cannabis plant and its many variables.

The rewards of being a CG are few in material things but if you go into this with the desire to help relieve someone suffering you'll be a richer person for it spiritually.

Thanks!.. I have read the law many times, I am still unclear on a few things. So, I can acquire meds for my patient from another caregiver and/or patient?...But aren't caregivers to provide meds to their registered patients only? How is it that a caregiver can get rid of overages to people other than their registered patients? Does it work like, Caregiver A has 2.5 oz's over the limit, they transfer that to Caregiver B who is under his limit by more than 2.5 oz's??

So it's all legal?

Not the situation as presented.

Caregiver A has 2.5 oz's over the limit, <<== Here a law would be broken.

Caregiver A has 2.5 oz's available. <<== Not a legal problem

sorry i didnt even read waht the others wrote..

Why didnt you figure all this out before becoming a c.g to your sick family member?

Its not a game, pt is going to be counting on you for an unlimitied, uninterupted supply of their meds....

seems you should have been asking these questions before you sent in c.g paper! any one can go on the street and get crap weed, but not every one can get mm grade smoke w/o knowing some one. or growing fro them selves as a pt!

k I went easy on ya! I do wish you luck! and I realy wish your pt luck!

mimom.......said i could be a c.g if i wanted too! :rolleyes:

Wow....I wish you luck in life because you sound like a real winner. Maybe you should take care of your kids instead of talking bunny muffin online and getting high all day.

If you noticed I've been a member of this website since 2009. I have done plenty of reading and research before I became a caregiver.. and just like a couple other posters have mentioned, parts of the law are vague and open for interpretation. Don't forget, there was a time not too long ago when all of this was illegal. How many times have you smoked, bought, sold or grown weed illegally before this law was inacted? Two and a half years is hardly enough time to become a master grower, so if you claim to be, then you were growing illegally. I am just trying to do it right, needed a couple clarifications. I search the forum for answers, didn't find it, so I asked. And, on another note, I am doing this for my family member and anyone else that may come along in the future for FREE! This law is abused by a majority of the people who are cardholders, I'm glad to say I am not one of them.

As for the uninterrupted supply of meds.. That's exactly why I was asking the question, because I haven't harvested yet and want to make sure it is legal for me to buy meds for my pt, or in the case of low supply in the future, I know I can get it for them.

Thank you to the others who offered helpful advice. When I am able to offer someone advice, I will gladly do it.

Must be nice to have it all figured out then eh?

Thanks for the help..lol.. you took a lot of the words right outta my mouth. I have already successfully rooted clones by air-layering as of yesterday... very cool method. When I first encountered it, I was like, why didn't I think of that??..lol.

Locate a Cc (Compassion club) in your area or an experienced CG to speak with to help you progress as CG, both your patient and you will benefit.

I agree... I have always been well-read, and prepared, and I fully intend to become involved with the compassion clubs, just haven't made time do do it yet. And just like most others on this site, I have had plenty of education in this area before the law was enacted...lol. But one can read all they want about cultivating MMJ, and never learn it all!

Thanks for your input.

sorry to call ya out, but this thread seems pretty fishy, youve been a member for 18 months, and still classify yourself as a new caregiver, yet youve mastered aero cloning as of yesterday, adn have a very cut and dry knowledge of the law, yet your compassion for your sick relative has just recently blossomed?

then you excessively bash another for giving you a serious heads up?

im thinking troll, if not i apologize, but this is too out there

Wow....I wish you luck in life because you sound like a real winner. Maybe you should take care of your kids instead of talking bunny muffin online and getting high all day.

If you noticed I've been a member of this website since 2009. I have done plenty of reading and research before I became a caregiver.. and just like a couple other posters have mentioned, parts of the law are vague and open for interpretation. Don't forget, there was a time not too long ago when all of this was illegal. How many times have you smoked, bought, sold or grown weed illegally before this law was inacted? Two and a half years is hardly enough time to become a master grower, so if you claim to be, then you were growing illegally. I am just trying to do it right, needed a couple clarifications. I search the forum for answers, didn't find it, so I asked. And, on another note, I am doing this for my family member and anyone else that may come along in the future for FREE! This law is abused by a majority of the people who are cardholders, I'm glad to say I am not one of them.

As for the uninterrupted supply of meds.. That's exactly why I was asking the question, because I haven't harvested yet and want to make sure it is legal for me to buy meds for my pt, or in the case of low supply in the future, I know I can get it for them.

Thank you to the others who offered helpful advice. When I am able to offer someone advice, I will gladly do it.

For your original post, im just a layman, but The following excerpts from the law clearly state the mechanics by which you may acquire medicine for your patient, and it seems quite clear. In assisting in the medical use of marihuana you are acting as a proxy for your patient and are allowed to acquire, possess, transfer, deliver, and transport marihuana as long as you stay within the limits outlined by the law.

how more clear does this need to be?

(b) A primary caregiver who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for assisting a qualifying patient to whom he or she is connected through the department's registration process with the medical use of marihuana in accordance with this act, provided that the primary caregiver possesses an amount of marihuana that does not exceed:

(1) 2.5 ounces of usable marihuana for each qualifying patient to whom he or she is connected through the department's registration process; and

(2) for each registered qualifying patient who has specified that the primary caregiver will be allowed under state law to cultivate marihuana for the qualifying patient, 12 marihuana plants kept in an enclosed, locked facility; and

(3) any incidental amount of seeds, stalks, and unusable roots.

and from the definitions

(e) "Medical use" means the acquisition, possession, cultivation, manufacture, use, internal possession, delivery, transfer, or transportation of marihuana or paraphernalia relating to the administration of marihuana to treat or alleviate a registered qualifying patient's debilitating medical condition or symptoms associated with the debilitating medical condition.

For your original post, im just a layman, but The following excerpts from the law clearly state the mechanics by which you may acquire medicine for your patient, and it seems quite clear. In assisting in the medical use of marihuana you are acting as a proxy for your patient and are allowed to acquire, possess, transfer, deliver, and transport marihuana as long as you stay within the limits outlined by the law.

how more clear does this need to be?

(b) A primary caregiver who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to arrest, prosecution, or penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege, including but not limited to civil penalty or disciplinary action by a business or occupational or professional licensing board or bureau, for assisting a qualifying patient to whom he or she is connected through the department's registration process with the medical use of marihuana in accordance with this act, provided that the primary caregiver possesses an amount of marihuana that does not exceed:

(1) 2.5 ounces of usable marihuana for each qualifying patient to whom he or she is connected through the department's registration process; and

(2) for each registered qualifying patient who has specified that the primary caregiver will be allowed under state law to cultivate marihuana for the qualifying patient, 12 marihuana plants kept in an enclosed, locked facility; and

(3) any incidental amount of seeds, stalks, and unusable roots.

and from the definitions

Hi hempcheff, Thank you for acknowledging the reason I started this thread. What you posted here is exactly where I was confused, because it states "a qualifying patient to whom he or she is connected through the departments registration process" I assume this to mean the CG-PT relationship. So my question was... How is it legal for a caregiver to provide meds to another caregiver who is getting meds for their patient, when there is no connection between the two caregivers through the department registration process. Isn't it ONLY legal for a caregiver to provide meds for their patients? The way I interpret it is, that the caregiver providing the meds would be doing so illegally, and the caregiver acquiring the meds for patient would be within the law. Because as a caregiver, the plants and meds are the patients with whom they are connected to. Does that make sense?

Now to answer your questions from above. No quite sure of your definition of troll, but if it means I browsed abd read everything on this site before I became a caregiver and started posting on here, then yes I am a troll, gotta start somewhere. But if you mean troll as in someone just looking to post and tinkle people off, then, no I am not a troll. I legitimately had questions. I have been a CG for a few months now, and I joined this site back when I was just beginning the process. My relative didn't just wake up one morning with their MMJ card, it takes some time, and initially they were going to grow themselves but the health problems got so bad they asked me to help, and eventually designated me as their caregiver.

I never said I mastered anything, I said I was successful at air-layering, not aero-cloning, although, I did build an aero-cloner and had success with rooting clones, to my surprise, on my first try I had 5 of 5 grow roots. The only problem I had was getting the darn plastic tote to stop leaking..lol.

I apologize if I came across as excessively bashing someone, but I would call that person the troll. It was not a "serious heads up".. Telling me this is not a game, and I should have figured this all out before becoming a caregiver, and wishing my patient luck, like I am going to be a crappy CG or grower.. sorry but I took offense to that. I don't see how this thread or my questions seem "fishy" or "just too out there".

I plan on using and being a part of these forums for a long time, so expect to see more from the engineer once I have something to brag about..lol

again, (e) "Medical use" means the acquisition, possession, cultivation, manufacture, use, internal possession, delivery, transfer, or transportation of marihuana or paraphernalia relating to the administration of marihuana to treat or alleviate a registered qualifying patient's debilitating medical condition or symptoms associated with the debilitating medical condition.

is in play, it makes no difference where you acquire the medicine, you are not needing to concern yourself with the legality of the other person, unless you have a vested interest in the person you are acquiring it from. it is NOT your responsibility to hold your source to a legal standard, only a standard of quality for your patient. As a caregiver you are covered by the law. The people that will transfer to you are aware of the risks and are comfortable with them else they wouldnt be doing business. If it still is an issue, then acquire from a card holding patient and stop trying to deal with other caregivers, its obviously an issue that you can easily walk away from. To continue questioning it at this point only leaves you argumentative, not inquisitive.

Or keep putting yourself in the situations that are uncomfortable for you. .

Hi hempcheff, Thank you for acknowledging the reason I started this thread. What you posted here is exactly where I was confused, because it states "a qualifying patient to whom he or she is connected through the departments registration process" I assume this to mean the CG-PT relationship. So my question was... How is it legal for a caregiver to provide meds to another caregiver who is getting meds for their patient, when there is no connection between the two caregivers through the department registration process. Isn't it ONLY legal for a caregiver to provide meds for their patients? The way I interpret it is, that the caregiver providing the meds would be doing so illegally, and the caregiver acquiring the meds for patient would be within the law. Because as a caregiver, the plants and meds are the patients with whom they are connected to. Does that make sense?

Now to answer your questions from above. No quite sure of your definition of troll, but if it means I browsed abd read everything on this site before I became a caregiver and started posting on here, then yes I am a troll, gotta start somewhere. But if you mean troll as in someone just looking to post and tinkle people off, then, no I am not a troll. I legitimately had questions. I have been a CG for a few months now, and I joined this site back when I was just beginning the process. My relative didn't just wake up one morning with their MMJ card, it takes some time, and initially they were going to grow themselves but the health problems got so bad they asked me to help, and eventually designated me as their caregiver.

I never said I mastered anything, I said I was successful at air-layering, not aero-cloning, although, I did build an aero-cloner and had success with rooting clones, to my surprise, on my first try I had 5 of 5 grow roots. The only problem I had was getting the darn plastic tote to stop leaking..lol.

I apologize if I came across as excessively bashing someone, but I would call that person the troll. It was not a "serious heads up".. Telling me this is not a game, and I should have figured this all out before becoming a caregiver, and wishing my patient luck, like I am going to be a crappy CG or grower.. sorry but I took offense to that. I don't see how this thread or my questions seem "fishy" or "just too out there".

I plan on using and being a part of these forums for a long time, so expect to see more from the engineer once I have something to brag about..lol

again, (e) "Medical use" means the acquisition, possession, cultivation, manufacture, use, internal possession, delivery, transfer, or transportation of marihuana or paraphernalia relating to the administration of marihuana to treat or alleviate a registered qualifying patient's debilitating medical condition or symptoms associated with the debilitating medical condition.

is in play, it makes no difference where you acquire the medicine, you are not needing to concern yourself with the legality of the other person, unless you have a vested interest in the person you are acquiring it from. it is NOT your responsibility to hold your source to a legal standard, only a standard of quality for your patient. As a caregiver you are covered by the law. The people that will transfer to you are aware of the risks and are comfortable with them else they wouldnt be doing business. If it still is an issue, then acquire from a card holding patient and stop trying to deal with other caregivers, its obviously an issue that you can easily walk away from. To continue questioning it at this point only leaves you argumentative, not inquisitive.

Or keep putting yourself in the situations that are uncomfortable for you. .

Ya..ok, I get what your saying. So far I haven't had to put myself in any uncomfortable situations. I guess I'm just one of those people that over-analyze. Thanks for the input

Archived