Dr Bob Townsend

hofner67

http://www.petoskeynews.com/gaylord/news/ght-medical-marijuana-clinic-032311,0,5714471.story

GAYLORD — Dr. Robert “Bob” Townsend, DO, said about 95 percent of the prospective medical marijuana patients he sees at his traveling clinics have past experience with cannabis or currently use it.

After the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act passed in 2008, Townsend realized people who were managing their pain or other aliments through the illegal use of cannabis had been granted a means to do so legally. His goal is to make sure they do it right and follow a legitimate process.

“My average patient is a middle-aged, blue-collar worker with a bad back who has been using (marijuana) for 15 years illegally, has gotten some relief and wants to do it legally,” he said.

For Townsend, who holds upwards of 25 clinics monthly throughout the state, being legitimate in his practice means he follows three steps: Verify patients’ qualifying conditions through records; determine if medical marijuana is the right course of action; and follow up with his patients by phone or e-mail.

He compares the process to that adhered to by any other physician.

“When you go to the doctor there’s certain things you’re going to expect. He will make a recommendation based on evidence of what is best, then follow up with them,” he said. “That’s the way I do it and that’s the way medicine dictates it be done.”

Before seeing a patient, Townsend insists he or she provide medical records as evidence they have a qualifying condition (see story below). By doing so, he not only determines whether the person can be a legal marijuana patient but also decides whether marijuana will help them. Should the legitimacy of a patient’s medical marijuana certification ever come into question, he will have copies of the patient’s records to support his recommendation and the patient’s qualifications.

Townsend referred to clinics that do not require patient records as “signature mills,” where patients are “basically purchasing a signature.” He said the affidavits patients receive from these clinics will not hold up should the cardholder be questioned in a court of law and only serve to protect the doctor and his/her clinic.

Once Townsend determines marijuana will help a patient, he writes his certification and refers the patient to a local compassionate care club to either find a care provider to grow their medicine or learn how to do it themselves (see story in Saturday’s Herald Times).

He also recommends certain strains of marijuana — which have varying levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other active compounds — to treat specific aliments. Cannabidiol (CBD) is a compound determined to decrease inflammation and treat pain.

Finally, he provides patients with his personal phone number so they can call him anytime with questions.

“That again is part of the education process,” he said. “It’s ongoing.”

After receiving their certification, patients must submit their paperwork to the Department of Community Health to receive their card.

Townsend is holding a clinic Friday, March 25, from 6 to 9 p.m. at Alpine Lodge in Gaylord. Call 989-619-6312 for an appointment. For more information about Dr. Townsend visit www.drbobmmj.com.

Contact Chris Engle at 732-1111 or cengle@gaylordheraldtimes.com.

What conditions qualify for medical marijuana?

Medical marijuana patients must suffer from a debilitating medical condition, defined by the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act of 2008 as:

• Cancer, glaucoma, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Crohn’s disease, agitation of Alzheimer’s disease or nail patella.

• A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following: cachexia or wasting syndrome, severe and chronic pain, severe nausea, seizures (including but not limited to those caused by epilepsy), severe or persistent muscle spasms (including but not limited to those characteristic of multiple sclerosis), or any other medical condition adopted by the Michigan Department of Community Heath (none added yet).

Hopefully he has a competent facilitator so confidential patient records aren't stolen or breached once again. I think Dr.Bob T. is full of passion for the MMJ community and has went out of his way for me in the past. I respect that and appreciate it tenfold. At the same time, I clearly do not understand why he "hires" anyone off the street to facilitate his clinics. Once burned, twice shy you would think?? I personally have taken many "friends" and "aquaintances" to this doctor and will continue to do so, IF he hires a competent, regular facilitator. I will not subject further people to what my husband is now going through to attempt to rectify thievery from his facilitators.

Anyone can be the victim of theives, but once the victim, change the way things are done!!!

Hopefully he has a competent facilitator so confidential patient records aren't stolen or breached once again. I think Dr.Bob T. is full of passion for the MMJ community and has went out of his way for me in the past. I respect that and appreciate it tenfold. At the same time, I clearly do not understand why he "hires" anyone off the street to facilitate his clinics. Once burned, twice shy you would think?? I personally have taken many "friends" and "aquaintances" to this doctor and will continue to do so, IF he hires a competent, regular facilitator. I will not subject further people to what my husband is now going through to attempt to rectify thievery from his facilitators.

Anyone can be the victim of theives, but once the victim, change the way things are done!!!

That was changed and as you are aware, the legal system will work and those responsible will be held accountable. They were not facilitators, they were marketers that claimed to have a 'clinic' and 'hire' me. When I refused to work with them for a number of reasons, they refused to return the records of those patients. They hired another physician to 'replace' me. Legal action for what they did is pending and they have a cease and desist demand from my attorney.

That action was theirs (Alternative Medicine Solutions Plus out of Harbor Springs) and theirs alone. It was the stupidest, most unprofessional, and illegal action I have ever witnessed. You want to stop this sort of thing? Stop going to no record clinics. I've been warning this community about this type of clinic for months, they were actually listed specifically on top of page 25 of the O'Connell concurring opinion in the Redden Case, and still people go to them and those types of clinics. Many folks received those bright green reminder cards with their name and address on one side and the fact they were a cardholder on the other and didn't think twice about what was released for the postman and anyone else to see.

My facilitators are and always have since I've been doing this after leaving that group members of local organizations that are involved in this cause. They are professionals and directly supervised by me. I retain all records in a locked, secured facility and protect their privacy like any record. The records in question were maintained by the 'director' of that clinic, Kristin Benson. When I left, I demanded the records, she refused (and I was informed by my attorney that I could not force her to release them) and she was specifically warned that she was responsible for the safekeeping of the records as required by law. She and the others associated with that clinic violated both Hippa and the MMMA in a foolish effort to get some renewal business. I have once again demanded the records of any patient I was personally involved with to protect against this type of problem.

Dr. Bob

That was changed and as you are aware, the legal system will work and those responsible will be held accountable.

Dr. Bob

I removed my response, as when I responded only the above was written. (perhaps due to site issues happening at the time, as I do not see that it has been edited?) The response I removed here, was no longer relevant after reading the whole message from Dr. Bob. If a response is needed, I will add that once I am able.

That is them.

Dr Bob has helped a lot of folks in NE michigan through our compassion club... He always showed a high degree of professionalism and does every certs by the book... Thank you for all you have done for the folks up here in NE Mi...

Dr Bob always my respect and thanks again... Marty aka xgi /Gayle

Dr. Bob ,

Keep doing what yer doing by Raising the Bar & Setting the Standards of your Practice to an Optimal Protection Level for All Your Patients as well as Helping Other Like Minded Physician's in the MM Area of Expertise in Keeping In Compliance for the Protection of All .

I'm sorry to hear of a Disgruntled Former Employee that you Obviously had No Idea of their Shenanigans all driven by Greed in Attempting the crime of stealing your Patients as well as their protected Medical Records from your Fiduciary Safekeeping . I am Confident you had No Prior Knowledge or Part of said Medical Records stealing by the former Disgruntled Office worker . I know You well enough to know yer True Heart's Intent ,Compassion & Kindness to know that You had No Part in Any wrongdoings in Protecting yer Patients from Any Harm . Unfortunately You were & are a Victim of Circumstances .

I Applaud & Admire yer Stepping up-to the plate and bring to light something that should have never happened & I Personally Know You would have Never let happen if you felt even a minute amount of Suspicion and Mistrust or prior knowledge that a situation like this would ever happen with a Trusted Former Colleague . I can only imagine how bad you feel about the situation and You have Implemented Legal Investigations with the proper authorities with Full Cooperation in bringing Justice to the parties involved , They Can't Hide from Karma .

Your Willingness to discuss this all in an open forum when it should be discussed between Effected Parties in Private is Further Proof of yer True Compassion with Your Patients Better Interest as well as All Patients even those Certified in a MM Mill in keeping us informed and Protected . It saddens me to see that you are no longer an active poster here on 3-M-A as I see when You as well as the Other Good Dr's post actively here it keeps Us Patients Informed . You answered Patents Questions , No matter who their Certifying Dr. was in a Respectful & Informative Manor providing a Priceless Service for the General Public & site members . I do recall some site politics coming into play in recent times & I can only Assume this is the reason you refrain from posting as you once freely did . I for one miss your posting contributions as I'm sure many other members do as they were always from a a Doctors Eyes & Heart . This is something we as patients have minimal at best Expertise with .

I know in my heart & soul you Never came onto the site looking to Recruit New Patients , Nor do I feel you were ever Financially Motivated , I Just Hope the Staff & Membership understands yer True Compassion in Doing a Job you have Devoted so many years of Training and expenses . Yer Professional Reputation and True Compassion Speaks Volumes of the Real You .

I for One am Proud You are My Doctor & I Feel Privileged to also call You a Trusted Friend . I Trust Your Honor , Intentions , Compassion and Professional Judgement as Much if Not More than Any other current or prior Physician I have Ever Seen . I Thank You for Being the Good Person I Know You are . I Believe In You , Because I Know You Believe in Us ,,,

Be Well ,,,

Your Patient/Friend , Dubliner ...

Dubliner, I agree with most of your post above. I will not go into too many details here, as requested by Dr. Bob. BUT just to clarify my "position" in this. I NEVER intended for Dr. Bobs name to be brought into it. I have always layed blame on the thieves. I have been sent more than one message, where people were already dealing with this and already knew which doctor it involved. (after I posted the PT's records post) I did not affirm it or deny it until this thread. Perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut. I did talk to him before I posted the letter from him, I am not a sneaky nor vindictive person. But at the same time, the MMJ community needs to be aware of issues directly involving them, this involved MANY pt's records, not just my husbands. I am sure my husband isn't the only one with reason to protect his privacy. I do believe Doctor Bob is doing his best to see that he does everything possible to deal with these thieves. I have been treated very well by the Doctor, have personally driven several aquaintances to clinics all over Northern Michigan to see him. I am not by any means attacking him or his compassion!!!

I will bite my tongue now.....

Dubliner, I agree with most of your post above. I will not go into too many details here, as requested by Dr. Bob. BUT just to clarify my "position" in this. I NEVER intended for Dr. Bobs name to be brought into it. I have always layed blame on the thieves. I have been sent more than one message, where people were already dealing with this and already knew which doctor it involved. (after I posted the PT's records post) I did not affirm it or deny it until this thread. Perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut. I did talk to him before I posted the letter from him, I am not a sneaky nor vindictive person. But at the same time, the MMJ community needs to be aware of issues directly involving them, this involved MANY pt's records, not just my husbands. I am sure my husband isn't the only one with reason to protect his privacy. I do believe Doctor Bob is doing his best to see that he does everything possible to deal with these thieves. I have been treated very well by the Doctor, have personally driven several aquaintances to clinics all over Northern Michigan to see him. I am not by any means attacking him or his compassion!!!

Thanks Northern-Gal ,

I never once doubted that you would or did do any thing other than use the Utmost Respect for Your Situation as well as Dr. Bob's . I Admire you in how you dealt with it all Considering the Severity of the whole Patient Information Debacle . You Also stepped up-to the Plate Helping others possibly in a similar situation from yer own Unfortunate experiences . I Commend You & Respect the need for Privacy for yer Husband & Dr. Bob until this whole investigation comes to surface and the Guilty Parties are Served Justice . I Hope for the Best Possible Outcome for you all .

Be Well ,,,

No hard feelings, I am devastated by what happen to some of the patients I've seen, including your husband. I understand the sense of betrayal you must feel and know you don't blame me. I do accept the blame. That is what professionals do, they take responsibility for those that place trust in their hands. Though there was nothing I could have done differently, I still remember the name and face of a 9 year old boy from Bangor, a drowning victim. He was the first patient I ever lost, as an EMT back in 1981.

I've lost many hours of sleep over this, as I am sure you have, and have worked on correcting the problem daily since it was brought to my attention. Together we will make it right.

Dr. Bob

No hard feelings, I am devastated by what happen to some of the patients I've seen, including your husband. I understand the sense of betrayal you must feel and know you don't blame me. I do accept the blame. That is what professionals do, they take responsibility for those that place trust in their hands. Though there was nothing I could have done differently, I still remember the name and face of a 9 year old boy from Bangor, a drowning victim. He was the first patient I ever lost, as an EMT back in 1981.

I've lost many hours of sleep over this, as I am sure you have, and have worked on correcting the problem daily since it was brought to my attention. Together we will make it right.

Dr. Bob

I have not lost faith :) Who knows, perhaps I will rustle up a patient or two and bring them in to see you tomorrow evening :o

Thanks for the compassion Dr.Bob.

We are all human and in the end the worms win, the difference is what did a

person do in his lifetime to help his fellow man?

Genuine physicians know this and respect the human condition, we are not

meat sacks to be ripped for profit and 'practice.'

We are not experiments for the chemical pharmaceutical corporations.

We (you and I) are human beings that often know what is best for ourselves, not some

billionare sitting on a antidepressant patent.(and their govt lackeys)

I will see you soon and hope to bring my family members to you.My own mother even.

Yours in humanity (for God's sake) freebird.

• 2 months later...

The courts have ordered Benson and her cohorts to turn over the records. They will be safe again once I have control of them. They are also ordered to stop contacting or otherwise interfering with my current or future patients.

Dr. Bob

The courts have ordered Benson and her cohorts to turn over the records. They will be safe again once I have control of them. They are also ordered to stop contacting or otherwise interfering with my current or future patients.

Dr. Bob

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

I LIKE IT!

Thanks Dr. BOB!

It took some time but the courts are holding Alternative Solutions Plus, Kristin and Marty accountable for what they did. The first step is to secure the records. That is a done deal, but they still haven't turned them over as ordered. I suspect that their list and my numbers will not match, so anyone that was seen by me between 2-1-10 and 8-1-10 should request their records be sent to me individually. We'll catch them if they try and short the list.

Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob

While working with terminal people, I've come to gain a great respect for what doctors endure.

There must be many that simply can not cope with it.

While working with terminal people, I've come to gain a great respect for what doctors endure.

There must be many that simply can not cope with it.

I have enough trouble dealing with disease and injury, the problem is I would rather expend my emotional, intellectual and physician energy dealing with the sick, not with knuckleheads like these guys. Every min I have to spend in court or with a lawyer to protect patients against this type of 'clinic' or these business practices is a wasted min better spent doing my job.

Dr. Bob

Here is the link to request your records from the marketing company, Alternative Solutions Plus, that sent out the postcards. These are people that need to be shut down to protect patients and the Act. The best way to do that is not to attend their no physician clinics.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28101571/Denali%20Record%20Release-Alternative%20Solutions.rtf

Protect the act, do not attend no record clinics.

Dr. Bob

Here is the link to request your records from the marketing company, Alternative Solutions Plus, that sent out the postcards. These are people that need to be shut down to protect patients and the Act. The best way to do that is not to attend their no physician clinics.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28101571/Denali%20Record%20Release-Alternative%20Solutions.rtf

Protect the act, do not attend no record clinics.

Dr. Bob

First of all, I want to say thank you for all you have been doing for the medical marihuana community. But I do have a few questions. Couldn't you get around the 'no records' requirement by becoming all of your medical marihuana patients primary physician? I have had back troubles before and when I went in to see a doctor, I was given a Rx for Vicodin (a much more dangerous drug) but did not have to have any 'records' indicating that I had any issues with my back. Also, I am wondering why a certification costs $150-$200? I guess I just do not understand why doctors make so much money in general. College loans are often given as a reason for the high charges (its about $150k to attend medical school), but I have loans from my bachelors degree too, but I could never get that kind of money for any services I provide. Is the high cost of health care due to the fact that about 60,000 students apply to medical school but they only accept about 20,000? Also, the AMA, from what I have read, does not allow any new medical schools. Less competition=More money? I am asking these in earnest...I have yet to figure out why our health care system is so expensive, but through much investigation have come to the conclusion that doctors get paid so much compared to the average worker because we limit the amount of doctors in the United States through monopolistic practices regarding who can 'Teach' medicine, and how many students we will allow to pursue medicine. It's not jealousy that motivates these questions, I am seriously wondering why it costs so much, and since your are within the business of medicine I figured you could shed some light on it. Thanks Dr. Bob for reading this, and I look forward to hearing from you on the questions I have asked.

Also, Couldn't you take insurance by becoming the primary physician for all of the folks you assist with medical marihuana certifications?

Archived