Charges Filed In 2009 Pot Case

BAD AXE — The Livonia man who openly admitted to operating a marijuana growing operation in a rental home police busted in September 2009 — and who subsequently defended himself, noting he was legally growing marijuana as allowed by the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act — turned himself in to police last week after a warrant for his arrest was authorized.

Bad Axe Police Chief David W. Rothe reports Jeffery David Ellis, approximately 46, of Livonia, was charged with delivery/manufacture of a controlled substance — marijuana, which is a four-year felony; and a possession of a firearm while committing a felony, which is a two-year felony.

Last April, Bad Axe police filed warrant requests against three people, two from the Livonia-area and one from Whitmore Lake, on charges of possession with intent to deliver marijuana and possession of marijuana.

yld_mgr.place_ad_here("B300");No arrests were made, as local law officials were awaiting the court system to clarify some points in the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act and to conduct follow-up investigation that was required by the Bad Axe Police Department, Huron County Prosecutor Timothy J. Rutkowski told the Tribune on Monday.

Rothe said at this time, no other arrests have been made in regard to the Sept. 25, 2009 bust. Shortly after that bust, Ellis contacted the Huron Daily Tribune to admit his involvement in the growing operation — and to defend his right to grow marijuana, stating the W. Huron Avenue rental home was the site of a legitimate medical marijuana growing operation — not an illegal drug house. Ellis maintained the operation was fully within the scope of Michigan’s Medical Marijuana Act, and that he did nothing wrong.

But police disagreed, and after the magistrate authorized a warrant for his arrest March 25, Bad Axe Police Det. Kevin Knoblock contacted Ellis’s defense attorney to make arrangements. Rothe said Ellis turned himself in last Tuesday, without incident. Rothe said it was nice Ellis agreed to turn in himself, otherwise Bad Axe would have had to have send an officer to Livonia to pick Ellis up and transport him to the Huron County Jail.

http://www.michigansthumb.com/articles/2011/04/05/news/local_news/doc4d9b02afbaad3720743021.txt

They can arrest all the people they want , however with the unbearable suffering out there the current medical system cannot solve as well as the damage experienced patients know first hand from alternatives ; there will always be more patients trying to find the comfort and the peace of mind Cannabis provides for many safely where no other solution is available . New illness and injury are a daily event .

Justified or not whenever you find houses rented just for growing it is a sensitive case for patient credibility .

Just as whenever you see a Judge order a patient cannot tell a jury their a qualified patient or Courts are not respecting that the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act is State Constitutional law taking precedent over any Federal Law in State and local Courts it diminishes our Judicial systems credibility .

Yes Bob it is me.I have hired Michael Kormon for this case.It has been year and half since raid.I will have my day in court.The whole story will come out.What LEO is doing too people is wrong.My wife died from the stress they caused us.Thx Bob you are a true warrior for the cause.

Am so sorry to here about all of this i know how you feel ares was inn March of 09 it's all most over for us

others like you will have to take the lead and fight the good fight

Torey is just to sick to go on

Archived