Trying To Step Forward.

greenbuddha

genCrumbs("n-us-al","US AL: OPED: Drug War Politics Hurt Medical Marijuana In State");Home > State by State Laws > Alabama > Daily Headlines > OPED: Drug War Politics Hurt Medical Marijuana In State

Daily Headlines

DRUG WAR POLITICS HURT MEDICAL MARIJUANA IN STATE

by Loretta Nall, (Source:Birmingham News)

writeNewsItems();Regional NewsUS AL: Editorial: New Front in War on Drugs

US AL: Edu: Column: Sessions Should Re-Think Marijuana Policy

US AL: OPED: Effort to Legalize Marijuana Bad News in U.S.

US AL: Anniston Man Finds One State's Medicine Is Another's Illicit Drug

US AL: The Green Rush

US AL: Drug Task Force Flies Low To Spot, Destroy Marijuana

US AL: Edu: Editorial: State Debates Medical Marijuana

US AL: Edu: Editorial: A Look Into The Marijuana Arguments At Hand

US AL: Edu: OPED: “Heads” vs. “Feds'

US AL: Edu: OPED: 'Heads' vs 'Feds': The Debate Over Marijuana, 'Feds'

More News Select a State See Map Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia FEDERAL Florida Georgia Guam Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Puerto Rico Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virgin Islands Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Check State Laws

10 Apr 2011

Share This Article delicious.gif digg.gif stumble.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif

Alabama

-------

The Michael Phillips Compassionate Care Act, introduced in the Alabama House late last month, will protect from arrest and prosecution physicians who recommend marijuana and patients who use marijuana as medicine. Sixteen states and the District of Columbia have already passed similar laws. It's time Alabama joined them.

While some Alabama legislators consider this a controversial bill, it is important to point out that the bill passed the House Judiciary Committee last session, although too late to progress any further, and Alabama already has a medical marijuana law on the books.

In 1979, the Legislature passed the Controlled Substances Therapeutic Research Act and established rules for medical marijuana. This can be found in the Alabama Code sections 20-2-110 through 20-2-120. The code states that medical marijuana can be used in the treatment of cancer and glaucoma. Sadly, due to drug war politics, that law was never implemented. The time has come to not only implement the existing law, but also to update it to include the most recent research, which shows that the marijuana plant is beneficial not only to people suffering from cancer and glaucoma but a whole host of other debilitating illnesses as well.

New research shows that in addition to helping manage the side effects of radiation and chemotherapy, medical marijuana has anti-tumor properties. Recently, the National Cancer Institute, a division of the National Institutes of Health, posted information on its website admitting for the first time what the federal government has known since 1975. THC and other cannabinoids found in the whole marijuana plant induce apoptosis, inhibit angiogenesis and prevent the metastatic spreading of cancer cells. In short, marijuana kills cancer.

In addition to cancer and glaucoma, scientific research shows that marijuana is also beneficial in treating the following conditions: Alzheimer's, ALS, chronic pain, diabetes, dystonia, epilepsy, fibromyalgia, GI disorders, hepatitis C, HIV, hypertension, MRSA, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, PTSD and rheumatoid arthritis, just to name a few.

Aside from the obvious reasons to allow Alabama patients to use medical marijuana, there are other reasons this bill should be passed. Right now, a sentencing and drug law reform package is being debated in the House. This bill is aimed at reducing prison overcrowding by not imprisoning nonviolent, low-level drug offenders. It makes sense to take patients out of the prison equation altogether.

If we aren't going to imprison recreational users because it costs too much, we certainly don't want to imprison sick people where we would not only have to pay $15,223 per year to house each one, but also pay for their medical care, which can be astronomical in cost. Besides, imprisoning patients for using a medication that not only can treat the symptoms of their illness, but cure it, is morally bankrupt and sadistically cruel.

Another reason to pass this legislation is the potential tax revenue that could be generated for ailing state coffers. The Washington Times recently reported that medical marijuana revenues are currently worth about $1.7 billion. Colorado, which has a population similar in size to Alabama, raised $9 million in tax revenue last year. This is a revenue source our state could use.

Patients in Alabama deserve all options when it comes to treating debilitating and sometimes deadly illnesses. These patients using medical marijuana aren't people just trying to get high. They are our mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, brothers and sisters. They are our veterans returning from war and suffering from PTSD. And one day, they could be you.

Basing access to medical marijuana on geographic location makes no sense. Diseases don't strike based on geographic location, and treatment should not be forbidden based on geographic location. Government interference in the doctor/patient relationship is nothing less than socialized medicine.

We must pass this law for the people suffering from debilitating diseases now, and for those who will be diagnosed with them in years to come.

Share This Article delicious.gif digg.gif stumble.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif Pubdate: Sun, 10 Apr 2011

Source: Birmingham News, The (AL)

Copyright: 2011 Loretta Nall

Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/45

Author: Loretta Nall

Note: Loretta Nall is executive director of Alabamians for Compassionate Care.

Bookmark: http://www.drugsense.org/cms/geoview/n-us-al (Alabama)

Thank you greenbudda.

I am so angered by those who use children as pawns... :growl:

Senator Jeff Sessions was the only one to reply.

"While I understand the arguments that you and others have made in support of legalizing marijuana, I am still concerned that the legalization of the drug, or decriminalizing its use, would encourage today's youth to turn to more deadly substances such as heroin and cocaine," Senator Sessions said in his reply. "At a hearing of the Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control, we listened to four teenagers, each of whom is recovering from heroin addiction. I was struck by the fact that the first drug each had used was marijuana. I believe our policies should deter people from using these substances, not encourage or endorse them."

Senator Sessions, it is time to get some new material.

genCrumbs("n-us-al","US AL: OPED: Drug War Politics Hurt Medical Marijuana In State");Home > State by State Laws > Alabama > Daily Headlines > OPED: Drug War Politics Hurt Medical Marijuana In State

Daily Headlines

If we aren't going to imprison recreational users because it costs too much, we certainly don't want to imprison sick people where we would not only have to pay $15,223 per year to house each one, but also pay for their medical care, which can be astronomical in cost. Besides, imprisoning patients for using a medication that not only can treat the symptoms of their illness, but cure it, is morally bankrupt and sadistically cruel.

I've seen these costs on here previously at around $35,000 a yr for normal Prisoner Care. Maybee they meant $ 35,223 other wise sounds like your better off as a normal prisoner, vs sick prisoner . Maybe you have to grow and sell pot for them ?

How about Cannabis Camps? 3 mos / grow 3lbs , see the doc., get your card, learn to grow, I think this Kelllog guy did somethig like that .....

Hell Id settle for the $35k a year, I'll give you 10 lbs. or not I'll grow 10 lbs less . 5lbs for $15,223 /yr + 5lbs Kona Coffe. sign me up .....

soo sorry , trippin out on you. Just wanted to point out that seemingly spurious figure.

peace

Thank you greenbudda.

I am so angered by those who use children as pawns... :growl:

Senator Jeff Sessions was the only one to reply.

"While I understand the arguments that you and others have made in support of legalizing marijuana, I am still concerned that the legalization of the drug, or decriminalizing its use, would encourage today's youth to turn to more deadly substances such as heroin and cocaine," Senator Sessions said in his reply. "At a hearing of the Senate Caucus on International Narcotics Control, we listened to four teenagers, each of whom is recovering from heroin addiction. I was struck by the fact that the first drug each had used was marijuana. I believe our policies should deter people from using these substances, not encourage or endorse them."

Senator Sessions, it is time to get some new material.

What SCARES me, is they act like they believe this "kids start on marijuana". The scary part is, they fail to see the ROOT of the problem - teens in trouble first. A teen had to be in trouble at home first, because he sought drugs for help. A teen could not understand the choice he/she is making, they need PARENTS to help them make the right choices.

As long as society is willing to place blame on an inanimate object, and not take responsibility for their own actions - we will not get anywhere. The real cause for drug abuse is .. adults failing to act as parents, adults failing to act responsibily around medications and other drugs. Perhaps what these politicans are afraid of, is exposing their own drug abuse, their own failings as parents.

-DN

TEENS EXPERIMENT WITH ANYTHING THEY CAN GET THEIR HANDS ON!

when a teen most think they are immortal-i did-you push the envelope

i tried inhalants rubber cement strangulation alcohol pills from medicine cabinet beer sex masturbation jumping off of roofs etc etc

i found i liked cannabis best ...grooved with my body chemistry

i say pharmaceutical pills in the med cabinet are the gateway!

heck when young i went as fast and hi as i could to capture the feeling of flying-some are wired this way

I've seen these costs on here previously at around $35,000 a yr for normal Prisoner Care. Maybee they meant $ 35,223 other wise sounds like your better off as a normal prisoner, vs sick prisoner . Maybe you have to grow and sell pot for them ?

How about Cannabis Camps? 3 mos / grow 3lbs , see the doc., get your card, learn to grow, I think this Kelllog guy did somethig like that .....

Hell Id settle for the $35k a year, I'll give you 10 lbs. or not I'll grow 10 lbs less . 5lbs for $15,223 /yr + 5lbs Kona Coffe. sign me up .....

soo sorry , trippin out on you. Just wanted to point out that seemingly spurious figure.

peace

Not tripping, speaking the truth. The costs we see/ hear are all spurious. Used for shock value.

The one I'm particularly in awe of is the 'street value' that is reported in marijuana seizures.

For those who know the actual value, we shake our heads in disgust. Those who do not

have a clue... OMG that is such a huge scary amount that could have made it to their children.

poo.

TEENS EXPERIMENT WITH ANYTHING THEY CAN GET THEIR HANDS ON!

when a teen most think they are immortal-i did-you push the envelope

i tried inhalants rubber cement strangulation alcohol pills from medicine cabinet beer sex masturbation jumping off of roofs etc etc

i found i liked cannabis best ...grooved with my body chemistry

i say pharmaceutical pills in the med cabinet are the gateway!

heck when young i went as fast and hi as i could to capture the feeling of flying-some are wired this way

Youth is the time for experimentation. Those who want it, will find it.

I also have always chosen Cannabis over anything else.

In reference to TDN's comment...

Fix the problems and stop trying to just treat the symptoms.

I think of all the dam windows patches that have to be done on a daily basis...

fix the core issue and quit trying to just put a band aid on it.

I missed this...

greenbuddha, on 12 April 2011 - 11:50 AM, said: genCrumbs("n-us-al","US AL: OPED: Drug War Politics Hurt Medical Marijuana In State");Home > State by State Laws > Alabama > Daily Headlines > OPED: Drug War Politics Hurt Medical Marijuana In State

Daily Headlines

If we aren't going to imprison recreational users because it costs too much, we certainly don't want to imprison sick people where we would not only have to pay $15,223 per year to house each one, but also pay for their medical care, which can be astronomical in cost.

Besides, imprisoning patients for using a medication that not only can treat the symptoms of their illness, but cure it,

is morally bankrupt

and

sadistically cruel.

Archived