Livingston County Raid-Reason For Medical Marijuana Raid Under Wraps

Livingston County Raid-Reason for medical marijuana raid under wraps

The reasoning behind a March 2 raid of a Handy Township medical marijuana dispensary won't be known for at least another 56 days.

District Judge L. Suzanne Geddis on Monday signed an "order continuing suppression" of the affidavit tied to the warrant for the March 2 raid of the Marshall Alternatives dispensary by the Livingston and Washtenaw Narcotics Enforcement Team.

The affidavit otherwise would have been made publically available today — 56 calendar days from the March 2 raid — under Michigan's search warrants act, said District Court Administrator Mary Ellen Nygren.

The document now won't be publically released until at least June 20, Nygren said. She said release of the affidavit could be postponed further after that time, but was unsure how far the suppression can be extended.

She said the order signed by Geddis didn't provide reasons for the extension.

Denise Pollicella, business lawyer for dispensary owner Christi Marshall, said she was unaware Geddis had signed the 56-day extension.

Pollicella said she didn't have any insight as to why the extension was deemed necessary.

"It could be a very simple explanation. We'll just have to wait and see," she said.

Livingston County Prosecutor David Morse didn't return phone calls or an e-mail seeking comment.

An undisclosed amount of marijuana and as much as $15,000 worth of property was seized during the March 2 LAWNET raid, Marshall's legal counsel said.

Marshall earlier said the dispensary operates lockstep in compliance with the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act, created following a 2008 voter referendum to decriminalize marijuana for state-approved medical use.

A LAWNET official said police believe there were violations at the dispensary, but so far have not specified what if any violations were found. No charges have been issued. Morse said he is awaiting lab test results.

Contact Daily Press & Argus reporter Christopher Behnan at (517) 548-7108 or at cbehnan@gannett.com.

It's been quite disturbing to hear and read of all the raids and harassment from LEO. As we band together to strengthen our efforts is there a movement among the attorneys who support MM in the process of being formed? I've read of a few who truly support our movement but I think a state wide network would be in order. Obviously if one hires an attorney to defend them that attorney is performing a job. It may help to try to organize the professional community as well.

Just a thought......

It's been quite disturbing to hear and read of all the raids and harassment from LEO. As we band together to strengthen our efforts is there a movement among the attorneys who support MM in the process of being formed? I've read of a few who truly support our movement but I think a state wide network would be in order. Obviously if one hires an attorney to defend them that attorney is performing a job. It may help to try to organize the professional community as well.

Just a thought......

I agree and i do think they are doing just that when i see the Lawyers in the hall ways of the court houst i see them talking to each other thats a good start IMO

honestly I bet the dispensary didnt actually do anything wrong, why else would they refuse to disclose the reason for it. they are now trying to "compile" evidence to support their illegal raid

I posted a link to the story that was on the LIVINGSTONDAILY website when this story finally came out. Some of the comments were unreal! One lady was saying that she drove by everyday on her way to work. She was expecting to see sick and old ppl in wheelchairs going there to get their medicine but instead seen a bunch of young teens there hi-fiving each other in the parking lot. She went on to say something like anyone could score a bag of meds even w/out a card. One person was happy they got raided. I know for a fact that the few times I went in there everything was very professional. The first order of business there was to check your card and drivers license before entry and you had to sign in. Just reminds me of how ignorant some people can be. Our rally cant come fast enough!

Archived