Effort Begins To Expand Number Of Officers Trained

More: Bio, E-mail, News TeamMICHIGAN (WJRT) -- (04/30/11) -- Michigan's police agencies are working to boost the number of officers trained in catching motorists who are driving while high on drugs.

The Lansing State Journal reports an effort began this week to greatly expand the number of officers statewide trained in identifying drug-impaired drivers.

Drug-impaired drivers are much harder for officers to spot than alcohol-impaired drivers.

Officers in training are learning how to check a suspect's pulse and blood pressure at the roadside.

Pulse and Blood preasure HUH........ Mine goes from 85/49 to 185/98 in a matter of minutes. Whats next rood side lie detectors?

Of course they teach them the wrong things, they can't EDUCATE them about FOLLOWING our law! And the blood pressure and pulse thing, oh that's a real beaut. WHAT a bunch of CRAP! Be EXTRA CAREFUL driving! I hate MI too but I'm tired of running. Wherever I go I'm trading one set of evils for another and often they aren't much different. Life seems to be a horrible misadventure of tradeoffs, one advantage here, at least 2 disadvantages to put up with. Of course they'll do all the wrong things, anything but IMPLEMENT the law as THE PEOPLE VOTED FOR IT- 63%. We should yell THAT at the rally: "63%!" GRRRRRR!!!

Sb :growl:

I have a medical condition that causes me to have not high, not low, but irregular blood pressure will these officers be trained to know my medical conditions too or will I just be hauled off to jail for a DUI.

now we have robocop playing doctor.

ONE IT'S MY BODY NOT W/OUT A WARRANT, ASSAULT W/OUT! IT'S MEDICAL MY BODY MY CHOICE!!

I believe this to be my rights! Maybe not assault but cival rights.

Put one hundred people in a room say all men,35yrs of age, if you get two that are even close I would be surprised. Then add stress impossible.

I wish a lawyer would pop up with some advice here. Is this legal, can we refuse to go through this when pulled over?

I would also but untill then.

BP and Pulse prove nothing. IMO Just a way around PROFILING. I think that they think that it gives them probile cause to try and get blood.

Keep you mouth shut and make them get a warrant.

Could this be the training refered to in this post Michigan Police Aim To Find Drug-Impaired Drivers by rafaeltoral

HOW MUCH DID THAT COST?

Guest knucklehead bob

Just wondering what the difference is between "Alcohol Impaired" & "Drug Impaired" ? Any one that is "Impaired" behind the wheel is easily recognized ......... I thought . I didn't know it required specialized training ! Gotta justify that "Drug War Money" somehow I guess .

I still think they need to establish the legal limit at which impairment exists. Until then, what is it, 0 tolerance? If so, I hope that is also the case with Rx narcotics. I think a lot of people drive while under the influence of prescription drugs. Probably some in the legal community.

Archived