Coleman Lantern And Co2?

wolfgang

A friend said that a coleman lantern would produce CO2 for the grow room,it's a little confusing to me because in a small area wouldnt that cause a risk for carbon monoxide levels to become high,what I am I not understanding here? It sounds dumb and dangerous to me??

yes your ventilation concerns are warranted. Look up some articles about families who died with badly vented kerosene heaters. Your friend is not too bright.

You can use yeast water and sugar in 2 litre pop bottles where you make a small hole in the cap. (unless you like exploding liquid yeast bombS)

yeah all of the above seem to just supplement co2 not really what's needed to produce healthy plants on it's own... there's a co2 bucket they sell now at growshops that might be more of what you're looking for... mixed reviews on them, more expensive in the long run to use than getting a proper co2 setup going.

A friend said that a coleman lantern would produce CO2 for the grow room,it's a little confusing to me because in a small area wouldnt that cause a risk for carbon monoxide levels to become high,what I am I not understanding here? It sounds dumb and dangerous to me??

Under the proper conditions, burning propane cylinders produces heat and light and water and carbon dioxide. This should be safe under constant supervision, and with addequate ventilation. But, if the oxygen is limited, then you will also get carbon monoxide, which is a deadly, odorless gas!!! :hot: Unless you plan on being there all the time, don't do it! And never burn the old white gas style lantern without proper ventilation. The byproducts of white gas are toxic and corrosive. There are so many simpler ways of generating CO2 that it's just not worth the risk of poisoning yourself or your family, not to mention the fire hazard. The fermentation jugs, using a water/yeast/sugar recipe work, but if you do that... why not just make some wine or beer at the same time? I used to make wine with welches grape juice and yeast in a two liter pop bottle with a balloon over the top. The gas that fills the balloon is CO2. Since the plant only transpires during photosynthesis, you could let the gas out during lights on, and capture it in a balloon during lights off. Then you could enjoy some home brew while you're harvesting. Be safe! :))

How was the wine??

Ya know what??? I always thought it was ok, and a fun little way to make my own. I'd take the balloon off every day or two while it was fermenting. When the balloon stopped filling up I'd filter the wine through cheesecloth, and we'd drink.:thumbsu: I think that the whole CO2 thing is negligible until you've gotten really good at growing. It kinda reminds me of the guy who buys expensive golf clubs when he can't keep the ball in the fairway. Shoulda spent his money elsewhere... maybe on lessons.

Ya know what??? I always thought it was ok, and a fun little way to make my own. I'd take the balloon off every day or two while it was fermenting. When the balloon stopped filling up I'd filter the wine through cheesecloth, and we'd drink.:thumbsu: I think that the whole CO2 thing is negligible until you've gotten really good at growing. It kinda reminds me of the guy who buys expensive golf clubs when he can't keep the ball in the fairway. Shoulda spent his money elsewhere... maybe on lessons.

I would agree, even though I'm fairly new to growing. I did the fermentation thing for one grow and didn't notice any significant change, at least not enough to bother. I think using a bud booster in addition to fertilizer is easier and more cost effective.

I would agree, even though I'm fairly new to growing. I did the fermentation thing for one grow and didn't notice any significant change, at least not enough to bother. I think using a bud booster in addition to fertilizer is easier and more cost effective.

I'm in the same place Nix, coming up on a year of legit growing. I'm using BG's bubbletote method, and the only additives I've used are Hygrowzyme for healthy roots and Snowstorm to boost the buds at the end. I've had to reduce my plant count to keep my yield under control. I never would have imagined that it could be so easy.

Archived