Should I Become A Caregiver

oldnlazy

What I'm trying to find out, I was thinking about moving to Michigan after my retirement and to become a medical caregiver as a source of secondary income. I have worries about that now with the recent Department of Justice letter stating they will go after caregivers and dispensaries in states who allows medical marijuana. I just wonder what your guys thoughts were about this matter? Also, do you think a person can maintain a suitable life style with a secondary income as a medical caregiver?

I have already contacted a dispensary there, but I they told me is I should talk to an attorney?? That wasn't really the help I was looking for. This will be a big commitment on my part and I just wondering if it is worth it?

Sounds like you are in it for the money and not the compassion to help others. So I would say you would not be a good caregiver. The reason they are cracking down so much is because of all the money hungry people looking at it like they are starting some new business venture.

I didnt even read your post, no offense.

But, if you had to make a post on a forum for that answer, then no.

Grow for yourself. Then, if you feel you can Help others with what your doing, then take the next step.

Too many people are going about this backworkds.

Sounds like you are in it for the money and not the compassion to help others. So I would say you would not be a good caregiver. The reason they are cracking down so much is because of all the money hungry people looking at it like they are starting some new business venture.

You are probably right. As I stated I was going to do it as a secondary income.I thought as in any venture or job you do, you compensated for your work. I've been looking at the prices on craiglist, showing prices from $250 to $450 for an ounce. I, also, heard it cost $400 a pound to grow. Clones going from $10 to $20, same for seeds.

Is this the common practice of caregivers in Michigan or do they all do it for free and not even getting paid for their time or cost?

$400 a lb is a number thrown out by a TV show that is talking about outdoor grows in California. It has nothing to do with indoor grows in MI. Also, I would contest that number as well, I think they were just looking at cost of supplies, not labor.

Anyway, that is also someone who knows what they are doing. Just because you can grow a tomato doesn't mean you can grow good quality MMJ. Where I might be getting 5+ oz per plant, you might be getting 2-3 oz per plant when you start, and it takes quite an investment up front to start. I spent 2 years growing only for a family member before I even started looking for other PT's.

Also, if you are planning on selling on Craigslist, you can be pretty sure you will be seeing jail time after a while. And just because someone lists it at $450/oz, doesn't mean they sell any at that price. I don't know anyone who pays even close to that for top quality here.

If you are simply in it for the money, Colorado or California are much better options really. And I am not saying that so you don't come here, I am saying that because their laws are older and much more accepted. You get a LEO who doesn't like you here and they are going to throw you in jail even if you are legal, and let the courts figure it out.

Give it 8-10 months here and we will see how badly the legislature screws our law over. That would be a determining factor if I were in your shoes.

As far as secondary income, sure, come here, grow, be 1 oz over or 1 plant over when the cops show up and you will get free healthcare and 3 meals a day for free. As far as making a few extra hundred a month over expenses, it isn't hard with 5 PT's under you, but making a living at it with the current political atmosphere you would have to be in a grey area of the law, and that can land you in jail.

$400 a lb is a number thrown out by a TV show that is talking about outdoor grows in California. It has nothing to do with indoor grows in MI. Also, I would contest that number as well, I think they were just looking at cost of supplies, not labor.

Anyway, that is also someone who knows what they are doing. Just because you can grow a tomato doesn't mean you can grow good quality MMJ. Where I might be getting 5+ oz per plant, you might be getting 2-3 oz per plant when you start, and it takes quite an investment up front to start. I spent 2 years growing only for a family member before I even started looking for other PT's.

Also, if you are planning on selling on Craigslist, you can be pretty sure you will be seeing jail time after a while. And just because someone lists it at $450/oz, doesn't mean they sell any at that price. I don't know anyone who pays even close to that for top quality here.

If you are simply in it for the money, Colorado or California are much better options really. And I am not saying that so you don't come here, I am saying that because their laws are older and much more accepted. You get a LEO who doesn't like you here and they are going to throw you in jail even if you are legal, and let the courts figure it out.

Give it 8-10 months here and we will see how badly the legislature screws our law over. That would be a determining factor if I were in your shoes.

As far as secondary income, sure, come here, grow, be 1 oz over or 1 plant over when the cops show up and you will get free healthcare and 3 meals a day for free. As far as making a few extra hundred a month over expenses, it isn't hard with 5 PT's under you, but making a living at it with the current political atmosphere you would have to be in a grey area of the law, and that can land you in jail.

I never said I was going to sell it on craiglist, I just referred to it.

As for the TV stating $400 a pound to grow, that is not how I got that information. I have been research this field for the past two years. So, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I also have compassion for the patients because my wife would be one. My doctor is compassionate to me as his patient, but he also get paid for it.

For what can land you in jail, I already know because I am retiring from a maximum security prison where I work as a counselor for plus twenty years.

I'm not trying to get any arguments started here. I have been looking a home in Michigan for around a year now and about ready to close on a house when I read the James Cole, Deputy Attorney General, about going after dispensaries and caregivers.

That is reason why I was afraid of doing this type of job now.

Well I did say you can make a few extra hundred bucks a month, but it is hard work. 5 pts under you I could easily see spending a few hours a day at least.

And selling to dispensaries, if they take your name or anything, then when they get raided, which they probably will because of Cole and MI AG Schuette, then they have your name and number. So selling to a disp is risky.

Like I said, 8-10 months from now, things will be a LOT clearer. There are a lot of things up in the air right now.

Well I did say you can make a few extra hundred bucks a month, but it is hard work. 5 pts under you I could easily see spending a few hours a day at least.

And selling to dispensaries, if they take your name or anything, then when they get raided, which they probably will because of Cole and MI AG Schuette, then they have your name and number. So selling to a disp is risky.

Like I said, 8-10 months from now, things will be a LOT clearer. There are a lot of things up in the air right now.

Thanks, I do appreciate your reply.

If you want to come to Michigan and make a few dollars helping people out theres nothing wrong with it, don't let all these other people make you feel bad about. Like you said doctors get paid also, huge amounts of money for helping people to I may add. Just make sure what you grow is quality and you charge a fair price and you can make a decent profit.

If you want to come to Michigan and make a few dollars helping people out theres nothing wrong with it, don't let all these other people make you feel bad about. Like you said doctors get paid also, huge amounts of money for helping people to I may add. Just make sure what you grow is quality and you charge a fair price and you can make a decent profit.

Tribune1234- Thanks for your gracious reply, but I have decided not to come to Michigan to become a caregiver.

When I started off asking about doing this as a secondary income, it appeared growers starting to attack instead of trying to welcome me into the circle. Maybe they don't understand what the meaning of secondary income, meaning it is not going to be my primary income. I did ask if I could maintain a suitable lifestyle, not a lavish lifestyle. Truly, I'm not a money hungry person. Another grower shot me out of the water without even reading my post. Other grower stated if I'm in it for the money, go to California or Colorado (I am sorry you thought I was in it for the money and I do imagine patients in California or Colorado don't care for individuals who are in it just for the money). Then went on to say, “As far as secondary income, sure, come here, grow, be 1 oz over or 1 plant over when the cops show up and you will get free healthcare and 3 meals a day for free.”

This is not the type of response I was hoping to receive.

One grower stated it cost more than $400 a pound to grow (supplies& maintenance) and stated as a beginner one would only get two to three ounces a plant. So, if I can only 2 ounces per plant, and I had 5 patients for a total of 60 plants. Let say it cost $600 a pound for supplies and maintenance and I sold it for $150 an ounces. I would yield $13,500 per grow and if I could get 4 grows in a year, that would equal $43,200 a year. That would be more than income than I care to make.

But once again Tribune1234 thank you for your kind reply.

Tribune1234- Thanks for your gracious reply, but I have decided not to come to Michigan to become a caregiver.

When I started off asking about doing this as a secondary income, it appeared growers starting to attack instead of trying to welcome me into the circle. Maybe they don't understand what the meaning of secondary income, meaning it is not going to be my primary income. I did ask if I could maintain a suitable lifestyle, not a lavish lifestyle. Truly, I'm not a money hungry person. Another grower shot me out of the water without even reading my post. Other grower stated if I'm in it for the money, go to California or Colorado (I am sorry you thought I was in it for the money and I do imagine patients in California or Colorado don't care for individuals who are in it just for the money). Then went on to say, “As far as secondary income, sure, come here, grow, be 1 oz over or 1 plant over when the cops show up and you will get free healthcare and 3 meals a day for free.”

This is not the type of response I was hoping to receive.

One grower stated it cost more than $400 a pound to grow (supplies& maintenance) and stated as a beginner one would only get two to three ounces a plant. So, if I can only 2 ounces per plant, and I had 5 patients for a total of 60 plants. Let say it cost $600 a pound for supplies and maintenance and I sold it for $150 an ounces. I would yield $13,500 per grow and if I could get 4 grows in a year, that would equal $43,200 a year. That would be more than income than I care to make.

But once again Tribune1234 thank you for your kind reply.

Seems like a plan

However..

finding five legitimate patients who need 96 ounces a year (nearly 2 zips a week) might be a bit of a stretch

Nothing wrong with your inquiry , but your handle may raise the hackles of a few round these parts with the tough economy

Good luck whereever you land

• 4 weeks later...

My link

Now I'm really confused. I get blasted for asking about becoming a caregiver in Michigan primarily due to the AG James Cole's letter and asked what you think about doing this as a secondary income. I was attacked as being a money hunger individual and that I had no compassion for the patients.

Here's a patient asking for some cheap or free meds and you attack her because you said you won't be able to make any money doing it that way. Where's your compassion "hcubbyhill" and help her out.

oldnlazy, i think the problem started when you said "to become a medical caregiver as a source of secondary income" the MMMA has a very compassionate membership and many of the caregivers here barely break even let alone make a second income. many go without meds to ensure their patients get theirs, sometime at no cost or at a price consistant with the patients income. this is something you need to think about because saying you want to become a caregiver to have a second income doesn't come across very compassionate to much of the membership here. jmho.

Do Some Caregivers Offer Free Meds?

I guess so, but my main concern was the James Cole's letter not the money. Though I did think one would have to compensate themselves for the time and cost of growing the product. If not, I would have to become a Walmart greeter as a secondary income. Just joking.

Seems like a plan

However..

finding five legitimate patients who need 96 ounces a year (nearly 2 zips a week) might be a bit of a stretch

Nothing wrong with your inquiry , but your handle may raise the hackles of a few round these parts with the tough economy

Good luck whereever you land

I can't imagine there being many qualified patients who are willing or can to spend $15000 on cannabis per year . You must be a State of Michigan Resident to obtain a card I am not sure how long that takes . For Universities it usually means a year but I believe 6 months is all that is required . Whether they verify residency I couldn't tell you but it is listed in the Act . Having a card from another State would be a leg up . Most people needing caregivers are very ill , terminal or just looking for supply until they figure out how to grow . People trying to make a business out of it will find it very frustrating to manage the cards . There is no caregiver without a patient , patients are sick , and often in disputes cards are invalidated with nobody the wiser and law enforcement is not sympathetic . . A few people very serious about helping the sick have found out our State now has a fast track nursing program offered at the Community College level ( 2 years ) that leads to a career with very good pay but drug testing is usually part of employment stipulations .

What I'm trying to find out, I was thinking about moving to Michigan after my retirement and to become a medical caregiver as a source of secondary income. I have worries about that now with the recent Department of Justice letter stating they will go after caregivers and dispensaries in states who allows medical marijuana. I just wonder what your guys thoughts were about this matter? Also, do you think a person can maintain a suitable life style with a secondary income as a medical caregiver?

I have already contacted a dispensary there, but I they told me is I should talk to an attorney?? That wasn't really the help I was looking for. This will be a big commitment on my part and I just wondering if it is worth it?

There's a really big demand for meds here. From what I see, most of the need is from the needy. The economy here is a mess. There are many growers making ends meet by exchanging their meds with patients, both directly and indirectly. The numbers you have mentioned are exaggertaions. A twelve plant grow will cost you four hundred a month in electricity and nutrients alone. There will be other expenses. I wish that everyone could grow. Then there would be medicine for everyone in need, and the really good stuff, like many here grow, would be in demand due to the quality. Kinda like how you can buy a bottle of blended American Scotch for twelve bucks, but if you want seventeen year old single malt you better have a couple franklins in your pocket. Try not to take offense when you get attacked. If you're close to retirement then you've met all types. Your intentions aren't all that different than many of us. There's a lot of good people here doing what they can to support the cause, and some of our greatest supporters are transplants. If you are interested in relocating to Michigan and becomeing a producer of quality medicine you would be welcomed by many. You better hurry though... I just checked and there's only room for one more!:D

It's a business, welcome to America.

Cry all you want, but money will be made, the small guy can get in now.

The problem you face is not ethical, it's that you don't know how to grow.

The wiennies want 10 buck a gram swagg that looks like primo Cali bud.

That takes hydroponics, fast growing genetics, and 18-24hrs of big lights.

It can be done but the learning curve is steep.

It's like the wild west here now as far as the laws, in a few years it'll just be another business

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be discouraged by people who have a problem with you making money. Don't get me wrong, I hate the idea of capitalism, but fact of the matter is, we live in a capitalist country, so deal with it. If you can make a decent living providing meds to patients, then by all means do it. If you know what you're doing you can get enough to let it go for half the dispensary prices and still make 80k+ a year...off a 2 room indoor grow. If you're talking about outdoor farming, then the potential is infinite. If you haven't done so already, you should read some books on growing before you even get started. The demand for high quality meds far exceeds the supply and the percentage of growers who really know what they're doing is low. So I would say yes, by all means you should move here to become a caregiver. Only drawback is you'll have to constantly deal with people who act like babies when it comes to competition.

Only reason to be a care giver. is to be a compassionate person toward others illness.

Yes If you want to be a blessing for other's.

No way in hell if all you want to do is make money.

No one needs your kind.

You should have extensive experience not your first or second Grow.

By all means do not do it. I see long term hassles for you.

call a dispensary for legal advice. HMMM

Think twice maybe 3 times.

Only reason to be a care giver. is to be a compassionate person toward others illness.

No one needs your kind.

SmileyDave, I glad you're the compassionate type. The lady below is looking for some free medical marijuana and since you are the compassionate type I will advise her to get in touch with you. Heck, I will try to direct more patients to you. I know they will appreciate the free meds.

By the way, I don't have to think twice nor three time about becoming a caregiver. I already stated I decided against going to Michigan to become a caregiver.

I'll go ahead and tell QueenToi what a compassionate guy you are and she should be expecting the free meds soon.

SmileyDave, I glad you're the compassionate type. The lady below is looking for some free medical marijuana and since you are the compassionate type I will advise her to get in touch with you. Heck, I will try to direct more patients to you. I know they will appreciate the free meds.

By the way, I don't have to think twice nor three time about becoming a caregiver. I already stated I decided against going to Michigan to become a caregiver.

I'll go ahead and tell QueenToi what a compassionate guy you are and she should be expecting the free meds soon.

Why sure we do go ahead we have a pre screening. And after signing a contract if both sides agree we have all systems go.. If they comply we give they 2.5 oz per month. All overages go to cancer Patients.

Just how we do things. Everyone has there own way of choosing to do for others. This is mine. I just believe in doing what is right.

Our group is called Patients against Pirates

Personal note from

Smiley Dave 

Today, 08:38 PM

Can't Rain On my Parade... It's covered against angry people like you. Hope you do well, Thanks I am called the compassionate one. And our group does give free meds that way we do not play legal games...

Previous notenfrom SmileyDave

No one needs your kind. 

My Reply:

Angry people like me. Hell you are the one attacking me with the “No one needs your kind.”

I already stated I wasn't going to become a caregiver in Michigan. Yet, you people keep on attacking me.

Also, what is with the contract and that the patient can only get 2 ½ ounces free per month. A grower there stated he could get 4 to 5 ounces per plant..If it takes 3 months to grow 12 plants per patient the minimum gross amount of medicine would be 48 ounces. What are you doing with the other 40 ounces? Why are you not just given it to the patient.

Now understand PLEASE! I am not going to be a caregiver. Nor am I going to be a resident of Michigan. So, please stop the attacks.

MODERATOR: IS THERE A WAY TO TERMINATE THIS TOPIC?

Archived