Transitioning: From Being Able To Walk To Needing Wheel Chair

Ed, I've been around people in wheelchairs all my life. Many times I read their stories and spoken with them and perhaps their insight will help you. They struggled with this, too, being scared, ashamed, angry, and depressed, they knew they needed help, many wouldn't go out, many didn't want to use their chairs, but then one day they realized it was like a tool, but a very special one, because it would become part of them, an extension of themselves. I've actually seen people say their chair, walker, cane, glasses, hearing aid, and other physical aids, had become part of them. When they saw it that way, it liberated them. I have some things I need that have become part of me, too. When I read how they felt about their chair or other aid, it also liberated me.

You spent your life helping others, now it's time for you to let others help you. You can still help others, and also let others help you. I know it's no fun being dependent on others, I struggle with this every day of my life, though it's not about wheelchairs, yet, but I have other limitations, and, my legs are not as good as they used to be, too. If I were closer to you, I'd gladly help in any way I could. In fact, I have an idea, if you'll let me do something for you. I know you don't have much income,, and I also know that there's another tool that comes in very handy for people who need an extended reach, who can't get up, or who can't bend down. I'd like to buy this tool for you and send it to you. This tool has been very helpful to me. I call it a reacher, some call it a grabber. Do you know what I'm talking about? I don't know the official name for it. If you could use something like that, I'd gladly get one for you. I've offered these to people I knew, and, though they declined, I still hope there'll be someone who would say yes. It's the least I can do, and, of course, if you need someone to talk to, I am here for you. I wish I could do more for so many people who need someone to spend time with them, help them out, offer comfort, and just listen. Being a Friend is a most valuable treasure.

For a very short while, I was in a wheelchair, and there were times I wondered if I'd ever get out of it. I thought when you mentioned about the chair to me a few months ago, I thought you said it wouldn't be a permanent situation. Maybe my memory went wrong on that, I don't know. All I know is I wanna do something for you if I can. Sometimes I have trouble walking, and get scared I may be in the same situation, but this time, it'll be permanent. I hope someone who's in a similar situation to you will respond and be able to help you.

I know some people who are unable to get a chair, though they really need one- for them, it's the difference between freedom, and being housebound, or even stuck in bed, even though that freedom will be more limited. That chair is your Friend, and I am, too.

Sincerely, in Friendship, Sb :bighug:

I know what you're saying. Same as me. Broken back/neck in Jan 79. I'm in and out of a chair here. Walk one day, not the next. Incomplete cord injury, then comes MS and what nasties go with it. Central Neuropathic Pain from spinal nreve damage, worst pain known to man. Makes me a crip. So what. I'm 6' when I stand and weigh 125 pounds now. Was 6'2" and 205 at time of accident. So living in a pain state for 33 years now. But still living. Not letting myself die.

I made myself a promise that I will never allow something I experience in the body to kill my spirit, because it will and has. I was lucky to get it back. I'm not letting go of it again.

They say suicide is man's way of telling God you can't fire me, I quit. Not ashamed to say I thought of quitting hundreds of times, but I realized in spite of it all, I'm not a quitter, I don't think you are either. They think because we're crips we're quitters and weak. They can fokk off. We're gonna prove them wrong.

We can beat the pain a minute at a time just like we've been doing. We can beat the depression like we've been doing. We've been doing it every day for years. It's part of who we are now. If we have to use the pharm stuff to live, we do it. We supplement with cannabis so to take less of their stuff. Has to be that way for us, or we die.

Whatever don't kill us, gonna make us stronger.

I wish you peace & strength brother EdwardGlen. I'll talk about it with you anytime.

• 1 month later...

I hope your situation allows for increased mobility . I use the carts at Meiers on bad days and am so grateful for them . I wish they had them at museums too . Some theaters and almost all sporting events have special chair seating . This could open some windows of opportunity and hope . I know just the knowledge of having access even if you can't use it is a comfort . The power chairs are amazing nowadays i hope thats a possibility often for people who can't qualify under medicare estates let them go innexpensively $1000 or less . I know a impossible amount of money . 20 mile ranges and many able to traverse on flat ground of any surface even grass or dirt paths . They have some really great park paths in Michigan with chair access and piers for fishing . This can open a whole new world of Independence if your situation is too grave for that at least it can keep you in assisted living over nursing care in most institutions if you can get from your room to a dining room and you wont have to transfer . God Bless .

• 3 weeks later...

My friend, after events, I go for many days being barely able to walk. I'm on my way. My feet and lower legs hurt so bad, I feel sometimes like I just can't take it. Then I compare what I did when I was healthy, to what i do now. The world is full of sports heroes, who have praise heaped upon them. Great wealth. Huge mansions. But in all their days, they will not accomplish what you have accomplished here. You have shown the world your heart. You have shown the world that you are a great warrior. Those whom you have met have spoken of your generosity. From your own words you have spent your entire life taking care of others. You are a great human being.

Your chair is just a tool. It will get you from here to there. It is that great spirit that will defend the world from the horrors that we face. You are my friend. I am sorry for your troubles, but I know you will come to accept your current situation, because of your strength of character. You have many battles to fight and glory waits for you upon the field of honor. God bless you Brother! It will be alright! Thanks, Bb

I have recipies that may help you 8102935009

I have recipies that may help you 8102935009

You were compassionate enough to offer recipes to Blueberry, can you post them in the medibles forum so that everyone may benefit from your knowledge?? Thank You so much for your recipes, because if they are easy, I know that I will be trying them, and if Blueberry posts that the recipe might not be easy but it really works, then I will try that too.

My friend, after events, I go for many days being barely able to walk. I'm on my way. My feet and lower legs hurt so bad, I feel sometimes like I just can't take it. Then I compare what I did when I was healthy, to what i do now. The world is full of sports heroes, who have praise heaped upon them. Great wealth. Huge mansions. But in all their days, they will not accomplish what you have accomplished here. You have shown the world your heart. You have shown the world that you are a great warrior. Those whom you have met have spoken of your generosity. From your own words you have spent your entire life taking care of others. You are a great human being.

Your chair is just a tool. It will get you from here to there. It is that great spirit that will defend the world from the horrors that we face. You are my friend. I am sorry for your troubles, but I know you will come to accept your current situation, because of your strength of character. You have many battles to fight and glory waits for you upon the field of honor. God bless you Brother! It will be alright! Thanks, Bb

I have been fortunate enough to make the transition in the other direction

I haven't made a fraction of the change or inspired thoughts you have instilled,in us all, Ed

Based on character I would say you will continue to be a beacon

Good luck

OH, and thanks for being you

Archived