Went To The Hydro Store, I'm A Little Confused Now.

Papa Smurf

Hey guys, building a couple of adjoining rooms for a DWC 12 plant perpetual grow. I went to the hydro store for some help with a layout of my rooms and to price some stuff. My veg room is 5x7 and my flower room is 5x9. In my veg room will be (6) plants consisting of (2) mothers and (4) clones of varying age. In the flower room will be (6) plants in various stages of flower. I plan to harvest (1) plant at a time.

The guy at the hydro store suggested I run (2) 600w hps "OCHO" 8" hoods and one Lumatek 220 ballast to run both of them. Is this too much for (6) flowering plants in a 5x9 room? For my veg room which is 5x7, he wanted me to run (3) T5 (8) bulb lamps for a total of (24) bulbs!

I figure I'd get most of my stuff online to save money but I want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff. Is there an online source that you guys usually buy from? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

dicount hydro is a good place to start check there prices first you can find some things cheapers at times but they are pretty good all in all get one of there price books and take with you when you go to a grow store and say see I can get it for this they usually will match or come close. heavy stuff "NUTES" costs more to ship so compare prices try to work it in to where you can buy in gal or even better 2.5 gal. the more you buy the cheaper it get per fluid oz. you can find deals at dicounthydro 1000 hood bulb ballast less then 500 delivered or go to most grow stores and pay 500 and just get the hood and ballast and you have to go get it. it is kinda like measure twice and cut once.

The guy at the hydro store suggested I run (2) 600w hps "OCHO" 8" hoods and one Lumatek 220 ballast to run both of them. Is this too much for (6) flowering plants in a 5x7 room? For my veg room which is 7x7, he wanted me to run (3) T5 (8) bulb lamps for a total of (24) bulbs!

imo,your being oversold. 7x7 is a big room for 2 moms and a couple kids i think. i think a single 8bulb T5 will suffice for your 7x7 veg area. worst case scenario 2. thats only if your moms are really large. but i would say start with one 2x4ft 8bulb, and when the moms get too big, add a 2x2ft 4bulb for the kiddies. large to you expect to keep your mothers?

i would only use one 400 to 1000w for the 5x7 bud room. 2 seems like ALOT of light to me. but i am new at this and im not an expert, but i did sleep at a holiday inn express last night. lol.

but i would say one good hood, and a 400w CMH bulb will do just fine. worked well for me for my first grow. but a 600w or 1000w hps would be fine. if you go with the 600 or larger, get a vented hood, and add a vent fan to keep the light system cool in the bud room.

imo,your being oversold. 7x7 is a big room for 2 moms and a couple kids i think. i think a single 8bulb T5 will suffice for your 7x7 veg area. worst case scenario 2. thats only if your moms are really large. but i would say start with one 2x4ft 8bulb, and when the moms get too big, add a 2x2ft 4bulb for the kiddies. large to you expect to keep your mothers?

i would only use one 400 to 1000w for the 5x7 bud room. 2 seems like ALOT of light to me. but i am new at this and im not an expert, but i did sleep at a holiday inn express last night. lol.

but i would say one good hood, and a 400w CMH bulb will do just fine. worked well for me for my first grow. but a 600w or 1000w hps would be fine. if you go with the 600 or larger, get a vented hood, and add a vent fan to keep the light system cool in the bud room.

Timmahh, I made some mistakes on my room sizes and plant counts. I'm sleepy, lol. Flower room is 5x9. Veg room is 5x7. Each will have 6 plants. 2 moms and 4 kids in veg and 6 adults in flower. I did NOT sleep in a Holiday Express Inn last night! LoL! Thanks!

Well, I think the t5's he suggested were way to much. A single of those t5's should work amazingly well I would suggest though if you can swap room sizes flowing plants take more room than vegging plants. Now as for the 2 600 watters for that size room that would work really well.Now with the adapter you CAN run them both off one 1000 watt digital ballast. So personally if you could swing it I would do that you would get amazing results. As you would get far more penetration with minimal difference in heat. But I am rather new to this but I have seen first hand what going from a 400 watt magnetic to a 600 watt digital can do for your yield and density amazing results.

Thanks dreamwarrior67. I will check that site out. The hydro guy said I could get 3 flowering plants under each 600 lamp, don't know if that's cool or not. I will post a layout of my room tomorrow if I can. Also, I have no idea how big my plants are supposed to get as I have never done this before. I am really new to medical marijuana use and growing. Thank you all.

If you can keep it cool enough, there is never enough lights in your room, you will never be able to match the sun, if growing outside is the best then the more lights the merrier.

Do what you can afford. and every room is different if you can't keep your room cool enough it doesn't matter how many light you have, if you can only turn 1 on.

lots of variables

Well, I think the t5's he suggested were way to much. A single of those t5's should work amazingly well I would suggest though if you can swap room sizes flowing plants take more room than vegging plants. Now as for the 2 600 watters for that size room that would work really well.Now with the adapter you CAN run them both off one 1000 watt digital ballast. So personally if you could swing it I would do that you would get amazing results. As you would get far more penetration with minimal difference in heat. But I am rather new to this but I have seen first hand what going from a 400 watt magnetic to a 600 watt digital can do for your yield and density amazing results.

Big J, I was wrong on the room sizes, my flower room is 5x9 and my veg room is 5x7. That 1000w digital ballast was the one I was looking at. I'm thinking that is the way to go. I also tend to agree with you on the single T5 setup.

If you can keep it cool enough, there is never enough lights in your room, you will never be able to match the sun, if growing outside is the best then the more lights the merrier.

DW67, I agree. Hydro guy said I can vent both hoods through the same window with two holes, one with fresh air coming in and one with hot air going out. He said I can run it like that all year round. He did say that it would be best to have the incoming and outgoing air holes as far apart as possible. He said airflow was the most important thing and not the temp of the air circulating through the lights as they are essentially "sealed" from the rest of the room in a closed loop system.

Guest thequietone

Two 600's in a 5 x 9 room will work very nice. If you run sealed air cooled hoods you should not have heat issues. My flower room is 5 x 8 and I am running one 600 and one 250 now and as soon as I can get another 600 I will be adding it. I want two 600 HPS lights and then I will put a MH bulb in the 250 and run that also.

Please keep in mind guys, I am only quoting what the hydro guy said to me. I have NO idea what I am doing and I am sure I will make mistakes even with all the input. I wish there was a simple formula for all of this but I know there's not. I will probably only be able to afford two HPS lights to start and one T5 setup. Please be patient with me as I will have tons of questions. Thanks. ;-)

don't want it seen from outside have enough bends, that light don't show through or something, sometimes it's hotter outside then inside. And everything is changing unless you have enough ac 'summer' heat 'winter'

short ceilings hot room taller the ceiling eazier to keep cool.

humidity up and down unless it is controled, are you in the basement? in the attic? new house old wooden michigan house that is 100 years old and dryier then dust. these are things to keep in mind. what works for us may not work for you even though we have the same equipment. it really is trial and error with some guidelines that are allways tweeked.

Guest thequietone

Please keep in mind guys, I am only quoting what the hydro guy said to me. I have NO idea what I am doing and I am sure I will make mistakes even with all the input. I wish there was a simple formula for all of this but I know there's not. I will probably only be able to afford two HPS lights to start and one T5 setup. Please be patient with me as I will have tons of questions. Thanks. ;-)

IMO, go for the two 600 HPS lights you will happier with them then one 1000.

buy this then

marijuana horticulture the indoor/ outdoor medical growers bible by Jorge cervantes

great place to start will tell you almost everthing you need to know the rest you have to learn as you grow. you will learn to tweek things that will work best for you in your situation

Two 600's in a 5 x 9 room will work very nice. If you run sealed air cooled hoods you should not have heat issues. My flower room is 5 x 8 and I am running one 600 and one 250 now and as soon as I can get another 600 I will be adding it. I want two 600 HPS lights and then I will put a MH bulb in the 250 and run that also.

Awesome! Will you be using that MH 250 for veg then? How many flowering plants will you be running under the 2 600w?

buy this then

marijuana horticulture the indoor/ outdoor medical growers bible by Jorge cervantes

great place to start will tell you almost everthing you need to know the rest you have to learn as you grow. you will learn to tweek things that will work best for you in your situation

Got it! Read it 3 times! I really like the 12 plant DWC that bubblegrower has stickied. He is using the Lucas method with his nutes and for me, this seems to be the right thing to get started. I have read a ton here but there are so many different grows and ways of doing things that it's overwhelming. I really want to buy something! :-).

don't want it seen from outside have enough bends, that light don't show through or something, sometimes it's hotter outside then inside. And everything is changing unless you have enough ac 'summer' heat 'winter'

short ceilings hot room taller the ceiling eazier to keep cool.

humidity up and down unless it is controled, are you in the basement? in the attic? new house old wooden michigan house that is 100 years old and dryier then dust. these are things to keep in mind. what works for us may not work for you even though we have the same equipment. it really is trial and error with some guidelines that are allways tweeked.

DW67, I am in the basement with 9' ceilings. Humidity in the summer is being kept between 40-50% right now with a dehumidifier. This is in the main "living" area though. I could pull my air to cool the lights from the main room rather than outside if you think it would be better. Summer or winter, the basement air is right around 70°F. Do I need to filter incoming air to keep dust and bugs out?

Not telling ya what to do, but these days I try not to buy anything on the net unless the company is in Michigan.

Even though I may have to pay a few bucks more locally, I prefer to buy from local merchants and keep the money in the state. I think it's worth it for all of us in the long run.

When you figure in the shipping/handling charges, it's usually not so good of a deal from out of state companies.

Buy Michigan :thumbsu:

With the lights, laying down 10,000 lumens per sq ft is sufficient for any cannabis garden.

Best of luck to you.

If you can keep it cool enough, there is never enough lights in your room, you will never be able to match the sun

ding, ding, ding, ding! I see we have one viewer who isn't afraid of good hard bud. If you want more than the typical, depressing Michigan larf, put two 1k's in that 5x9, and you will yield proud bud. Everything else is downstream of your lights, don't build a dam...

[quote name='Kevin' timestamp='1311824265' post='316771'

With the lights, laying down 10,000 lumens per sq ft is sufficient for any cannabis garden.

Is that 10,000 for every sqft or just what the plants take up? So I will need 450,000 lumens for my 45sqft room?

Also, I will buy Michigan where possible.

sufficient is not always good enough. There is no real right or wrong way to grow if you plant it and it grows to the end you have meds. Now what kind of meds do you want? the best ! then you may need better stuff. there is not one that makes or breaks your grow. it is everything evenly. from genitics to grow conditions, equipment, nutes,you can have the best of everything and at any point during your grow you can turn a plant worth 3000.00 into a 3.00 plant but you can't change a 3.00 into a 3000.00 plant anytime from grow conditions to too much not enough nutes dried to quick too long the list is endless. your grow will improve with every grow, you will have problems but you will get through it and learn from it. this is the 10% that you have to learn on your own

Archived