-=Official Microbrew Thread=-

Who here is a Microbrew Head? Today i just picked up a 4 pack of dogfish head 120 minute IPA ($36) 18%abv 120 IBU....I'm still tryng to get down the 1st bottle... and WOOOOOW im so buzzed lol!

Flavor- Malty Almost whiskey Like

Hops - Medium Hop Very Nice Not to bitter

Smell -Sweet smell Nice and Floural

Overall- VERY pleased Well Worth the 36 bux!

Punch- 1 or 2 bottles Your Done

Availability - 4 cases in Michigan Very Rare , If you Find it GET it

Age- Will age well up to a decade.

How can you say 120 IBU is medium hopped?........It's hopped over the top....HJ

they have a 60 min IPA and 90 min and a 120 the greater the IBU the more sugar hense the sweeter out of the 3 the HOPPIEST would b the 90 min. the 120 is more malty more sweet but still has the hop to it. and the human palette can only really taste max 75 IBU...but this 120 is by far they BEST most powerful Imperial IPA out right now...and i am a HOPFREAK bells hopslam comes in 2nd... this 120 can age up to a decade...the longer it is aged the more sweeter it becomes as it ferments in the bottle

I have drunk that Sam Adams limited production trible bock (well thats what they drank on the origonal Star Trek). The Stuff that comes in a small blue bottle and you drink like brandy.

The high that I get of it tends to be better than what I feel drinking the equivalent amount of anything else. So I have to assume that it is more than the alcohol affecting me. I just do not I would attribute it to (besides the placebo effect). Any ideas?

I used to homebrew pain in the butt but made some tasty brews. If I can do u can too.

I have drunk that Sam Adams limited production trible bock (well thats what they drank on the origonal Star Trek). The Stuff that comes in a small blue bottle and you drink like brandy.

The high that I get of it tends to be better than what I feel drinking the equivalent amount of anything else. So I have to assume that it is more than the alcohol affecting me. I just do not I would attribute it to (besides the placebo effect). Any ideas?

I used to homebrew pain in the butt but made some tasty brews. If I can do u can too.

IMO sam adams isn't micro they are too big to be considered micro in my book , they need to just stop and stick to what they know IMO they are making a mockery of microbrew trying to mainstream it,i personally have had everying thing from adams amongst 1000+ other beers and I have not found a single beer from them that i enjoy. I would consider sam a "stepping stone" beer for bud light drinkers, mass produced half assed brew. then they take it way to far and make utopia and try to compete with leading cognac producers..horrible at the least

Most of my favorite breweries are here in MI - Bells, Founders, Dark Horse, Kuhnhenn, Shorts, Jolly Pumpkin and New Holland

Founders breakfast stout is beast! , i also enjoy the dirty gentleman and the centennial. ipa kuhnenn is awesome! i tend to visit ther ALOT they make some great wines and meads! their flemish cherry sour is amazing, only thing i do not like about kuhnenn is well they have nothing to eat when you visit ....

IMO sam adams isn't micro they are too big to be considered micro in my book , they need to just stop and stick to what they know IMO they are making a mockery of microbrew trying to mainstream it,i personally have had everying thing from adams amongst 1000+ other beers and I have not found a single beer from them that i enjoy. I would consider sam a "stepping stone" beer for bud light drinkers, mass produced half assed brew. then they take it way to far and make utopia and try to compete with leading cognac producers..horrible at the least

I enjoy sam adams. their creamy dark and octoberfest are two of my favorite beers. and their triple bock is strong enough to make my face numb!!

they have a 60 min IPA and 90 min and a 120 the greater the IBU the more sugar hense the sweeter out of the 3 the HOPPIEST would b the 90 min. the 120 is more malty more sweet but still has the hop to it. and the human palette can only really taste max 75 IBU...but this 120 is by far they BEST most powerful Imperial IPA out right now...and i am a HOPFREAK bells hopslam comes in 2nd... this 120 can age up to a decade...the longer it is aged the more sweeter it becomes as it ferments in the bottle

I take it you know nothing about brewing beer........IBU stands for International Bitterness Units.........It has NOTHING to do with the amount of sugars.....I have been a homebrewer since 1985....HJ

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Hydraulic_Jack/Brewery/

as i said i know what IBU is,I work at a Fine wine shop with over 400 different beers and have well have over 1000+ beers and completed 6 beer "tours" at local pubs, and a personal collection contain every Vertical epic year from 2003-2011, old cask ales from 2004 , a case of expedition stout from 2003, 9 bottle of JW lees Harvest Ale (Lagavulin Whisky Cask), 8 bottles of Dogfish head world wide stout...and just picked up last night 4 bottles of the 120 minute IPA ...just to name a few ,

and when i say medium hopps i dont mean how much hops they use, i mean when you drink it IT's not hoppy the hop notes are VERY mild

I don't like many of Sam Adams' beers. The lager and their summer wheat r too spicy for my tastes. And I tried Thier hoppy 12 pack, I think it was longitude 48. Too hoppy for me. But it all seems of high quality. I just don't care for the taste. I like plain beer. A wheat, not spiced up. And I like American beer like Pabst, bud, and schlitz. I get that Detroit Lager sometimes. I like beer, not spicy beer. Fav? I will go with an oberon for micro. Does anchor steam count? Most unique.

Jolly Pumpkin in A2 has really incredible food.

The beers are all tart Belgian / French farmhouse style ales that have been aged in used oak wine barrels.

Great place!

Beagle i bet those 03 Expedition stouts are killer. That beer ages so nicely!

Just got some bourbon barrel imperial stout from Dark Horse as well as their blueberry stout. Both tasty but so rich that I don't open one unless someone wants to split a 12 ounce bottle. :thumbsu:

Archived