Legality Of Hemp Textiles

jamrock

So before the 1920's almost all textiles were made from the hemp plant... we all know what happened...

What would the legality be of legal medical patients taking their leftover useless stalks and other plant material, and making fibers for clothing out of them?

I know this is not technically a medical use so i dont know if we would still be protected.

So before the 1920's almost all textiles were made from the hemp plant... we all know what happened...

What would the legality be of legal medical patients taking their leftover useless stalks and other plant material, and making fibers for clothing out of them?

I know this is not technically a medical use so i dont know if we would still be protected.

i too am interested in making use of waste product of my grows.

if the final product is below the U.S. legal thc limit for industrial hemp i would think that you would be fine. the left over stalks and plant materials are a by product of medical use so you have them via protected purposes. i would guess that until you started affecting the business of other industries it would never be an issue.

i too am interested in making use of waste product of my grows.

if the final product is below the U.S. legal thc limit for industrial hemp i would think that you would be fine. the left over stalks and plant materials are a by product of medical use so you have them via protected purposes. i would guess that until you started affecting the business of other industries it would never be an issue.

I'm interested in what us patients and caregivers could do for the community, beyond medical reasons.

The goal would be to have a nfp business provide clothing (could be shoes, jeans, shirts, hats, blankets, etc.) to the community.

Theoretically, if legal, there could be a small operation to remove fibers from stalks, and spindle them into bundles for use.

These bundles of cannabis fibers could then be used to make whatever kind of textile.

I'm interested in what us patients and caregivers could do for the community, beyond medical reasons.

The goal would be to have a nfp business provide clothing (could be shoes, jeans, shirts, hats, blankets, etc.) to the community.

Theoretically, if legal, there could be a small operation to remove fibers from stalks, and spindle them into bundles for use.

These bundles of cannabis fibers could then be used to make whatever kind of textile.

It is totally legal to import proccessed hemp in to the USA, but to grow it takes special DEA permit. So I don't see any reason that we couldn't make products with leftovers from our plants. We would be using proccessed hemp too.

I have been thinking alot about this as well.. From what i gather a processing system can be made pretty easily and cheaply..

I have also been daydreaming about stemmy jewlery too.. and a lotion factory.. Oh the possibilities of Hemp

Oregon University researched using hemp for building siding like the foil sided fiber board they use now, it is lighter, better insulating rating, stronger and cheaper to produce than what they use now. Best of all........they can use all the manufacturing equipment that they are using now to make it.

Europe uses hemp in concrete, it is seven times stronger than concrete here, it bends but doesn't break, can stand up to earthquakes. You would think having some of the worst fault-lines in the world here in the USA we would be using it too.............NOT. We claim to be a caring Nation yet we use inferior products in our earthquake areas and then try to impose our will on other countries too, just think of all they economic opportunities that would be available to all of us here in this country if we were just to FREE THE HEMP.

if the final product is below the U.S. legal thc limit for industrial hemp i would think that you would be fine. the left over stalks and plant materials are a by product of medical use so you have them via protected purposes.

The stalks are not considered to be "Usable marihuana". So, unless LEO gets gray area in his eyes they should be considered as nothing more than plant debris.

MICHIGAN MEDICAL MARIHUANA ACT (EXCERPT)

333.26423 Definitions.

Sec. 3. As used in this act:

(j) "Usable marihuana" means the dried leaves and flowers of the marihuana plant, and any mixture or preparation thereof, but does not include the seeds, stalks, and roots of the plant.

The processing itself would in effect be "destroying" any "marihuana" that could possibly be derived from this plant debris.

Once processed the stalks would have no psychoactive properties whatsoever. When lab tested they would come up negative.

This is how Thomas Jefferson handled it.

1815 December 29. (Jefferson to George Fleming). "Hemp...is abundantly productive and will grow for ever on the same spot, but the breaking and beating it, which has always been done by hand, is so slow, so laborious, and so much complained of by our laborers, that I have given it up, and purchased and manufactured cotton for their shirting, the advance price of this however now makes it a serious item of expence; and in the mean time a method of removing the difficulty of preparing hemp occurred to me, so simple and so cheap, that I return to it's culture and manufacture. To a person having a threshing machine, the addition of a hemp break will not cost more than 12. or 15. D. You know that the first mover in that machine is a horizontal horsewheel with cogs on it's upper face. On these is placed a wallower and shaft which give motion to the threshing apparatus, on the opposite side of this same wheel I place another wallower and shaft, thro' which, and near it's outer end, I pass a cross-arm of sufficient strength, projecting on each side 15. I. in this form. Nearly under the cross arm is placed a very strong hempbreak, much stronger and heavier than those for the hand. It's head block particularly is massive, and 4. f. high, and near it's upper end, in front, is fixed a strong pin (which we may call it's horn). By this the cross arm lifts and lets fall the break twice in every revolution of the wallower. A man feeds the break with hemp stalks, and a little person holds under the head block a large twist of the hemp which has been broken, resembling a twist of tobacco but larger, where it is more perfectly beaten than I have ever seen done by hand. If the horse wheel has 144. cogs, the wallower 11. rounds, and the horse goes 3 times round in a minute, it will give about 80. strokes in a minute. I had fixed a break to be moved by the gate of my sawmill, which broke and beat at the rate of 200. lb. a day. But the inconveniences of interrupting that induced me to try the power of a horse, and I have found it answer perfectly. The power being less, so also probably will be the effect, of which I cannot make a fair trial until I commence on my new crop. I expect that a single horse will do the breaking and beating of 10 men. Something of this kind has been so long wanted by the cultivators of hemp, that as soon as I can speak of it's effect with certainty, I shall probably describe it anonymously in the public papers, in order to forestall the prevention of it's use by some interloping patentee."

http://www.monticello.org/site/plantation-and-slavery/hemp

Archived