Lights

cujo

hey just in case there's someone new out there. the most efficient H I D s are the 600w. and the 750w. the 400w and the 1000w. are not efficient at all. get a little greener and save a little power. run some t-5s for side lighting they are way efficient. keep the power bills down, and save money for that perfect room. some people think it's un-american to trash talk the 1000w. lights but we developed them when power wasn't so darn exspensive. 600w is all it takes to bud, but 750w. are making a come back. my favorite combo is 240v. 750w. e-ballast with digilux 1000w. bulbs (very efficient). under powering the bulb makes them last much longer and 1000w. bulbs are mass produced so they are cheaper to buy. digilux 1000w. can be bought for $60. but I also use super spreaders in a radiant hood. 240v. means less amperage wich translates into less power used.

Edited by cujo

ummmmm. more watts = more light = larger buds . who cares what the power costs! lol

also. digilux bulbs SUCK. you get what you pay for

and, 240v uses the same wattage (which is how we buy power, kilowatts). 1000 is 1000 is 1000. a slight savings come from the efficiency of 240. a little less heat means very slight savings

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hey guys I get big nugs too, but with 750w. and I won't ever buy those darn hortilux bulbs. digital bulbs for me, cause hortilux says if you use their bulbs on E ballast it voids all waranty. digilux don't suck! still pushing large buds with two yr. old bulbs. yes I am buying new ones soon. Regular Eye brand is half the price of hortilux but has more toxic metals not as green as hortilux. The spectrum chart looks the same to me. if you like old fashion bulbs.

Edited by cujo

well.. :ph34r:

i stand behind my 1k magnetic ballast with parabolic hoods... using hortilux bulbs.. :goodjob:

i personally ran an experiment and the hortilux bulbs outperform the generic digital bulbs... by a factor of at least 3. :judge:

sometimes you get what you pay for... and i stand behind my 1k's penetrating power... nothing compares to the lumen output for my particular layout.

it is a "to each their own" scenario every time..

if i could i would use 10,000k bulbs and fixtures... :fpc:

the sun is the giver of all life..and it's a gazillion watts...at least :crazysmile:

so the closer we are to reproducing it's power on a molecular level the better our plants will grow and respond.

i stand behind my 1k magnetic ballast with parabolic hoods... using hortilux bulbs.. :goodjob:

i personally ran an experiment and the hortilux bulbs outperform the generic digital bulbs... by a factor of at least 3. :judge:

sometimes you get what you pay for... and i stand behind my 1k's penetrating power... nothing compares to the lumen output for my particular layout.

the sun is the giver of all life..and it's a gazillion watts...at least :crazysmile:

so the closer we are to reproducing it's power on a molecular level the better our plants will grow and respond.

my digilux bulbs are supposed to be $89 but I got a better deal. their not cheapies or off brand. and as far as the eye brand they were the best at one time before they came up with hortilux I'm told by one of my suppliers.

o k then check out the price at ultra-low hydro their not suppossed to advertise a discounted price according to hortilux, but their doing it. $79.95 I don't just push one company.I search the cheapest deals and tell everyone where it's cheaper.

good call Cujo i paid $120 for my hortilux eye's... each..

didn't realize you said digilux.. i thought u were referring to generic bulbs..

and check this out Eye 1000W HPS Grow Bulb

Eye 1000B/EN HPS lamp has similar characteristics to the Eye Hortilux lamps. High output 140,000 initial lumens and 2100 Kelvin temperature for a plants flowering and fruiting stage. The cost id half the price of the Hortilux lamp. EN passes the EPA, TCLP test criteria as non-hazardous waste. pixel_trans.gifheadingLeft.pngProduct Name+ Price Buy Now headingRight.pngE-HPS.S.gif 1000W HPS Grow Bulb Red Spectrum Eye Sunlux $59.90 button_buy_now.gif

E-Sunlux.S.gif 1000W HPS Grow Bulb Red Spectrum Eye Sunlux Case 6 $49.90 button_buy_now.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I like my 1000W HPS and I only use magnetic ballast.

All of my growing experience in the past was with multiple 400W HPS.

The 1000W is more efficient and gives a better yield. (I am a closet grower).

I just tried a 600W HPS over this past year, for the first time. After using the 600W light, I am going to completely rebuild my 2000W closet. I will replace my (2) 1000W HPS with (3) 600W HPS.

I used to believe the more light, the better. I am not so sure anymore. I can't fully speak for the 600W yet on this factor which is the quality of the meds. I have not grown out all of my strains under the 600W yet. Half of my strains are very picky under the 1000W. I always used 2,100K spectrum lights. The plants would not come out right under the 1000W light. I switched to a 2,050K spectrum HydroFarms bulb, which has more red in the spectrum. It solved the problem for one strain, but not the other.

My product has come out better under 400W than 1000W in quality, mostly referring to taste, although there was much better yield under the 1000W than the 400W. So, I am going to give the 600W a try. It has impressed me the most so far. All I used was one of those $49 cheepie bulbs. The strains that I did grow under the 600W came out just as good, if not better than when they were grown under the 400W.

I have purchased both 8 year and 5 year warranty ballast by HydroFarms. In my opinion, spending the extra dollars on the 8 year warranty ballast is just a waste of money. The 5 year warranty ballast is just as durable and quiet as the 8 year warranty one. For my first time throughout my 14 years of growing, I had a ballast go bad. A 2.5 year old HydroFarms 1000W convertible powerhouse ballast. I had to send it in for warranty repair/replacement. So when I dropped it off, I purchased replacement ballast to keep the closet running right, all they had in stock was the 5 year warranty model. (Note: always have a back up in case of unforeseen failure) :D Finally after 6 weeks I got my warranty ballast back.

I am not putting down the 1000W lights whatsoever, but for my closet, I believe the 600W will serve me better.