Flowering Question

Letterhead954

I've got my first two plants in bloom, and I noticed that the top leaves are already turning a little yellow. They've been in bloom since the 4th. I know that they will eventually yellow, but is it normal for it to start this soon?

Also, should I feed every other watering just like I do in veg? Thanks!

They should not be yellowing this early. What strain are they, and what type of nutes, and how much are you using? What size pots are they in, and how large are the plants? I fertilize every watering, but it can be tricky if you don't know what your particular plants can take. It sounds like you have a nutrient or ph problem.

top leaves...no good

usually girls will dump their lowers as flowering progreses and excess sugars tored are being used

however the top is no good...possibly a N diff or lockout due to pH probs as mike suggested.....

hard to say w out pics or data such as your starting pH, runoff pH, nute line your using, ppm of your water etc................

(you could always add some N guano to your tea give it a boost really shouldnt see leaves dropping till week 4...at least thats my exp...still its a mute point if you are having pH problems or excess salt buildup in your soil it wont matter till you take care of that 1st)

good luck happy growing

The plants are a Trainwreck and a Bubba OG. They're about 30" tall, in 5 gal. smart pots. I use General Hydroponic nutes, and carefully follow their chart. I ph the water every time, and get it to test 'tinkle yellow', as one grower told me to do. I'm watering every three days to saturation (1 gal.). At this stage the chart says no Flora Nova Grow. Should I use that next time I water to get more nitrogen to the plants? During veg the Trainwreck was sensitive to too much nutes, as I found out when I was feeding every time I watered. Given the same nutes, the Bubba OG was fine. It's yellowing a little now too, but not as much as the Trainwreck. With this info, what have I done wrong and how do I correct it? Thanks so much for your help guys.

The plants are a Trainwreck and a Bubba OG. They're about 30" tall, in 5 gal. smart pots. I use General Hydroponic nutes, and carefully follow their chart. I ph the water every time, and get it to test 'tinkle yellow', as one grower told me to do. I'm watering every three days to saturation (1 gal.). At this stage the chart says no Flora Nova Grow. Should I use that next time I water to get more nitrogen to the plants? During veg the Trainwreck was sensitive to too much nutes, as I found out when I was feeding every time I watered. Given the same nutes, the Bubba OG was fine. It's yellowing a little now too, but not as much as the Trainwreck. With this info, what have I done wrong and how do I correct it? Thanks so much for your help guys.

Both excellent strains....but not necessarily the best for a beginner....

"30" tall, in 5 gal"...that i awfully big for 2nd week of flower the root ball may be at its max and could be getting root bound (IDK hard to tell w no pics)

the GH 3 part flora series is more for hydro systems but can be used in drain to waste i have found way better results w the floranova 2 part system along w the floralicious and florablend additives w koolblooom booster....or just go organic and use guano

http://generalhydroponics.com/site/index.php/products/nutrients/nova_series/

another problem is watering on a schedule...try to learn the feel for the plant and learn to read when they need a drink maybe you didnt add enough perlite to your soil for drainage? IDK what soil are you using?

my girls at this point drink every day...more or less its somthing we all go through until you get to learn to read the needs of your girls but this is the first indication that somthing is wrong...this early into flowering w that large of plant you may need min of 7 gal pots just remember your optimum area for lumens to plant

i think these are right around day 24

100_0319.jpg

100_0315.jpg

If these are large for their time in bloom, it's because I had to delay getting them in flower because my room wasn't ready. I put them in 5 gal. pots a couple of weeks before I put them in flower. I'm using Pro-Mix BX. The GH products I'm using are Flora Nova Bloom, Liquid Koolbloom, Floralicious Plus, Flora Blend, and cal-mag (Trainwreck really needs the cal-mag). I'm going by the part of the chart that is for growing in soil. I'd post a pic if I knew how, but the veins are dark green while the rest of the leaf is turning yellow. Nitrogen deficiency, yes? Since I just watered yesterday, should I wait till the next time or should I water it again right away with a dose of Flora Nova Grow? The chart says to eliminate the FN Grow at this stage, so how should I continue with future feedings? I was getting the veg part dialed in, but with flowering I don't know how to handle this.

One more question. My flower room is 7'x7' and I'm using one 1000 hps light. When lowered to about a foot above the tops of the plants, I can get only two plants under the light. I'll have two more plants ready in a week or so, so should I raise it, or is two about the limit? I thought, and thought I was told, that you could get a lot more than two plants under a single light. It's air cooled so I can get it pretty close without burning the plants. How many should I be able to get under it, and how close does it need to be to the plants?

if your in pro mix, and nothing else, then you need to follow the guidlines for a soilless mix/hydro. they need nutes every feeding! The mix is completley inert, it is no different than growing in perlite, or hydroton, rocks or bubble buckets.

go with the lucas formula: http://lucasformula.com/ to start, and tweak after you get the hang of it.

also, your ph will need to be @5.7 for veg, and up to about 6.0 for bloom.

i grow with pro mix, and coir, and i promise you, follow those tips and youll grow:

gallery_15187_298_250630.jpg

gallery_15187_312_549533.jpg

thumbsu.gif

If these are large for their time in bloom, it's because I had to delay getting them in flower because my room wasn't ready. I put them in 5 gal. pots a couple of weeks before I put them in flower. I'm using Pro-Mix BX. The GH products I'm using are Flora Nova Bloom, Liquid Koolbloom, Floralicious Plus, Flora Blend, and cal-mag (Trainwreck really needs the cal-mag). I'm going by the part of the chart that is for growing in soil. I'd post a pic if I knew how, but the veins are dark green while the rest of the leaf is turning yellow. Nitrogen deficiency, yes? Since I just watered yesterday, should I wait till the next time or should I water it again right away with a dose of Flora Nova Grow? The chart says to eliminate the FN Grow at this stage, so how should I continue with future feedings? I was getting the veg part dialed in, but with flowering I don't know how to handle this.

One more question. My flower room is 7'x7' and I'm using one 1000 hps light. When lowered to about a foot above the tops of the plants, I can get only two plants under the light. I'll have two more plants ready in a week or so, so should I raise it, or is two about the limit? I thought, and thought I was told, that you could get a lot more than two plants under a single light. It's air cooled so I can get it pretty close without burning the plants. How many should I be able to get under it, and how close does it need to be to the plants?

Nitrogen deficiency, yes?

I also run the full line of GH Flora with Liq Bloom, Dry Bloom, Cal-mag, Carbo load. Did you use the Transition formula from Veg - Bloom?

N Deficiency and too much N look very similar... Be careful with N in Bloom. If you add to much your yellow turns to dropping leaves fast. You can't not go wrong with a good flush. You said your watering every three days to saturation. Are the leafs curling under or over? that could give you another sign of whats happing.

I read somewhere on here where Soil people like to test the ppm's in the run off. I can only assume it would give you the difference between what your watering with vs. what the plant doesn't need but I have a feeling this would not be very accurate. Again, I'm not in soil so I hope someone corrects this statement.

if your in pro mix, and nothing else, then you need to follow the guidlines for a soilless mix/hydro. they need nutes every feeding! The mix is completley inert, it is no different than growing in perlite, or hydroton, rocks or bubble buckets.

go with the lucas formula: http://lucasformula.com/ to start, and tweak after you get the hang of it.

i grow with pro mix, and coir, and i promise you, follow those tips and youll grow:

thumbsu.gif

OMG

thank you hempcheff for this lucas link....

this link coupled with this thread really helped me understand my particular scenario...

i am...(was).... using almost the same as you letterhead...but i also added unsulfered molasses...

i am switching to 8ml floranova bloom....every watering... and leaving any of the additional additives off for a while.:rolleyes:

Time to KISS :D

lucas here i come.:))

God Bless

I also run the full line of GH Flora with Liq Bloom, Dry Bloom, Cal-mag, Carbo load. Did you use the Transition formula from Veg - Bloom?

N Deficiency and too much N look very similar... Be careful with N in Bloom. If you add to much your yellow turns to dropping leaves fast. You can't not go wrong with a good flush. You said your watering every three days to saturation. Are the leafs curling under or over? that could give you another sign of whats happing.

I read somewhere on here where Soil people like to test the ppm's in the run off. I can only assume it would give you the difference between what your watering with vs. what the plant doesn't need but I have a feeling this would not be very accurate. Again, I'm not in soil so I hope someone corrects this statement.

I didn't know there was a transition formula, other than just following the chart from GH.

There are no signs of over or under watering, just the yellowing.

So, other than feeding every time, is there anything I should do now or when I water again to correct this? What about foliar spraying? If so, what do you use for that?

So, other than feeding every time, is there anything I should do now or when I water again to correct this? What about foliar spraying? If so, what do you use for that?

Sorry, these are soil peps questions. Foliage spraying won't do anything if it's over or under fertilized.

Que the music... "Where is our dirt experts?"

gallery_15187_298_250630.jpg

gallery_15187_312_549533.jpg

thumbsu.gif

Very nice HC...im droolin on myself...

thanks! I had the same problems when i started growing, i was using dirt instructions for the soilless and let me tell you what a mess thumbsd.gif lol.

after i stepped back, started with lucas, and kept it simple, my girls just started doin their own thing. They are pretty smart plantsblink.gif

as far as the light goes, I have a t-5 that i use for vegging, and i use a 1k hps for flowering, and i keep it about 2 feet off the tops to get a good footprint, my closet for blooming is roughly 7x7

good luck, if ya have any question id be glad to help if i candrinking-coffee.gif.

Archived