Lawmaker Proposes Allowing Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

http://ipr.interlochen.org/ipr-news-features/episode/lawmaker-proposes-allowing-medical-marijuana-dispensaries/2012-05-01

A Republican state lawmaker has introduced a measure to make medical marijuana dispensaries legal in communities that want them. State Representative Mike Callton has unveiled legislation to legalize dispensaries and allow the facilities to buy growers’ excess amounts of marijuana.

He says that would help keep surplus medical marijuana off the black market.

“It also provides for local control,” Callton says. “A locality can determine if that’s right for their community and if that’s right for their community, how many do they want?”

Right now, the legal status of medical marijuana dispensaries is waiting on a ruling from the state Supreme Court.

Michigan voters approved the state’s medical marijuana law in 2008. The law makes no mention of dispensaries for medical marijuana cardholders.

Sent from Jamie's iPhone

http://www.theweedblog.com/michigan-hb-5580-would-recognize-dispensaries-and-provide-clear-guidelines/

Michigan HB 5580 Would Recognize Dispensaries And Provide Clear Guidelines

Published on May 1st, 2012

Written by: Johnny Green

Michigan House Bill 5580 Would Clear Up A Lot Of Grey Areas

While some patients in Michigan are able to obtain marijuana through caregivers or by growing it themselves, others struggle to find a reliable caregiver or are unable to grow it themselves. Several cities issued licenses to dispensaries to provide patients with another safe option. Unfortunately, a court decision indicated dispensaries’ sales to patients aren’t legal. A new bill introduced today in the Michigan Legislature would change that, recognizing dispensaries and providing clear legal guidelines.

Please email your state legislators now and ask them to support this improvement to Michigan’s medical marijuana law.

Sponsored by Republican Rep. Mike Callton, a practicing chiropractor, House Bill 5580 would give local municipalities the option of allowing medical marijuana dispensaries — known as “provisioning centers” under the bill — where patients could purchase up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana every 10 days. The bill sets certain minimum safety and security requirements and allows cities and townships to enact further regulations in line with local needs.

Unlike other bills introduced in 2012, HB 5580 is clearly a pro-patients bill that would dramatically improve Michigan’s medical marijuana law. Please ask your elected officials to support it. If you are a patient who could benefit from this law personally, please let us know.

I think they should exist also but Farmers Markets are more important honestly for low and fixed income patients . If I had to choose between them I would go with Farmers Markets because compassionate individuals despite peer pressure have been providing low cost medicine of high quality for patients . Nobody champions them in Lansing because the big money isn't there to support regulators interests , those that exploit non profit status or attorneys from that model . Dispensaries just do not work as well as Farmers Markets to provide affordable supply for low or fixed income patients when truly compassionate caregivers set prices inline with normal agricultural reimbursement of $10 to $13 a hour . The truth is in reality agricultural workers make much less on average .

The Farmers Market model has no lobbyists or sponsors because margins are lower and savings are passed onto the patients if they operate as intended for patient benefit with reasonable markup that allows for no fuss sell outs for their overages . Most people are saying the most it costs to grow is $80 a oz with many able to do it for less if they qualify for 72 plants as long as they don't have to have seperate rooms with divided areas for flower and grow for each patient individually locked like Schuette wants .

I know it is a matter of life and death that patients obtain more protections in case of arrest etc but our States Caregivers have a rough row to hoe now and need more protections also . I know nothing about their plight but I can see their being hit from all sides . The Federal taxation treatment is ridiculous .

I can't go to Lansing or do many things others are . I just hope when I write someone who can agree's and at least discusses it with those creating bills . There are many people way worse off then me that share some of these views .

Edited by Croppled1

I think they should exist also but Farmers Markets are more important honestly for low and fixed income patients . If I had to choose between them I would go with Farmers Markets because compassionate individuals despite peer pressure have been providing low cost medicine of high quality for patients . Nobody champions them in Lansing because the big money isn't there to support regulators interests , those that exploit non profit status or attorneys from that model . Dispensaries just do not work as well as Farmers Markets to provide affordable supply for low or fixed income patients when truly compassionate caregivers set prices inline with normal agricultural reimbursement of $10 to $13 a hour . The truth is in reality agricultural workers make much less on average .

The Farmers Market model has no lobbyists or sponsors because margins are lower and savings are passed onto the patients if they operate as intended for patient benefit with reasonable markup that allows for no fuss sell outs for their overages . Most people are saying the most it costs to grow is $80 a oz with many able to do it for less if they qualify for 72 plants as long as they don't have to have seperate rooms with divided areas for flower and grow for each patient individually locked like Schuette wants .

I know it is a matter of life and death that patients obtain more protections in case of arrest etc but our States Caregivers have a rough row to hoe now and need more protections also . I know nothing about their plight but I can see their being hit from all sides . The Federal taxation treatment is ridiculous .

I can't go to Lansing or do many things others are . I just hope when I write someone who can agree's and at least discusses it with those creating bills . There are many people way worse off then me that share some of these views .

When you add the middleman to the equation it hurts everyone but the middleman. I believe in the Farmers market also and that is where the laws should change.

I can't get into the link right now, but I truly hope they reschedule mmj, as a component of the bill...?!?

Ultimately... We need to stop jailing people and ruining people's lives... Still my bottom line on voting... Progression.