Detroit Lawmaker Harvey Santana Stripped Of House Committee Posts

LANSING, MI - Rep. Harvey Santana, D-Detroit, is being stripped of his committee assignments in the Michigan House for what legislative leaders are calling “repeated inappropriate conduct” on the House floor.

A statement Friday from the office of House Speaker Jase Bolger, R-Marshall, said the action comes at the request of House Democratic Leader Richard Hammel of Mount Morris Township. Santana is being removed from the Transportation Committee and the Energy and Technology Committee.

The statement says the latest incident involving Santana occurred late during Thursday’s House session.

Bolger spokesman Ari Adler said House sergeants intervened during a dispute that involved Santana and Hammel.

The incident did not appear nearly as heated as a confrontation late last year when Santana was involved in an altercation on the floor that briefly turned physical.

A post on Santana’s Facebook page indicated that he was upset about votes on a measure connected to public lighting systems that could affect Detroit. The bill was approved late Thursday, but Santana voted against it.

A portion of Santana’s Facebook post: “There you have it folks. Democracy in action HB 5688 was passed WITHOUT a floor debate! The Republicans silenced Detroit's voice on this incredibly important piece of legislation. A Backroom deal was made with the Judas's of the Democratic bunch!”

Santana said Friday he was upset that the bill was handled under a "veil of secrecy" and that the process was rushed.

Santana also said he feels like he's facing repercussions simply for doing his job and trying to work on behalf of his district.

Hammel called the legislation a "contentious issue" and said Santana was upset that he didn't get a chance to address the matter through formal House debate. Hammel said the incident was "nothing physical," but that Santana acted in an "unprofessional" manner.

Bolger's statement: "I agreed to Rep. Hammel's request because of Rep. Santana's continual inappropriate and unprofessional conduct toward fellow Democratic caucus members and his disregard for the decorum of the House of Representatives, neither of which will be tolerated."

Point me to the OMA violation. I don't see it in this story.

“There you have it folks. Democracy in action HB 5688 was passed WITHOUT a floor debate! The Republicans silenced Detroit's voice on this incredibly important piece of legislation. A Backroom deal was made with the Judas's of the Democratic bunch!”

He claims decisions were made in a "backroom."

Zero public debate.

“There you have it folks. Democracy in action HB 5688 was passed WITHOUT a floor debate! The Republicans silenced Detroit's voice on this incredibly important piece of legislation. A Backroom deal was made with the Judas's of the Democratic bunch!”

He claims decisions were made in a "backroom."

Zero public debate.

Representatives talking amongst themselves isn't a violation of OMA.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the passage of the bill, as I don't know enough about it. But do we always have to be so incitable with the rhetoric?

Edited by CaveatLector

Veiled, secret conversations between legislators about public policy is kinda undemocratic, isn't it? Shouldn't we all know how our legislators are making decisions that affect us? Seems like that is the essence of Democracy.

So do our legislators need to walk around with a mic on them 24/7? They can't talk about pending legislation amongst eachother or lobbyists or cannabis patients without making the conversations public? That's nonsense. MEETINGS should be OPEN, yes. But charaterizing conversations that take place between 2 people outside a meeting as "secret" is a little bit crazy.

Open meetings law violation.

Sounds like it is taking place all the time.

This has been an on going process by the republicans. Push it through the house and the senate,

A corrupt government at it's best.

We Will Remember come November!!!!.

Edited by Fat Freddy