Some Kind Of Slime

sknkwrks

2 of my plans I have growing in a dwc set up.both seem to be doing okay better than okay. I popped the lids last night to check out the roots both have good white roots emerging from a net pots but 1 of the plants has a bunch of roots that have some kind of slime growing on them almost a brownish color. anyone know what this slime is our what may be causing it and what I can do to get rid of it? ???

It will only harm the plant if you let it persist. Your better off flushing more often if your Temps are high. It helps the water and the plants. But again, when flushing wipe everything down. If you are sloppy the bacteria will stay and continue to grow. Good flushing should take care of it for 2-3 months. Bad cases every 2-3 weeks until it's under control. Everyone has a different water temp. 60-65 is working for me. Some have water coolers that keep it in the 50's. You can also use frozen 2 liter bottles to help reduce the temps. They work well if you have a big reservoir. GL

PS.. Do you have enough air flow to the pails? That is very important for water movement and oxygenation.

Slime can happen in any DWC setup, but higher temps can exacerbate the issue. Flush. Get some H202 at your local grow store (not the stuff you get at the drug store) and start using it.

60-65 is ideal as it allows for the most dissolved oxygen in the water. Yes, the H2O2 will help, even with higher temps. The idea is to put so much oxygen into the water, that the slime (anaerobic bacteria) can't survive. H2O2 is an excellent oxygenator in the short term (oxygen lasts 1-3 days at most) Be careful and wear gloves when handling the H2O2 as it will burn if you get it on your skin.

If you are not willing or able to got buy a hydro chiller, then stop reading and give up DWC now. Go ahead and run downstairs and stick your hand in a bucket and say "it feels plenty cool" It isn't plenty cool. You need a chiller.

OK

You are getting good advice in this thread but you need someone to tie it all together. Root slime is a number bacteria that thrives on decaying organic matter. It it not beneficial to our plants, and it out competes the bacteria that are good for our plants when in a low oxygen environment (talking about your nutes/water here). Water's ability to dissolve oxygen drops remarkably above 70 degrees. The difference betweeb 68 and 74 in terms of dissolved oxygen is HUGE. So you need consistenly low temps and plenty of air pumped into the roots. And scoop out the decaying matter,if any, often.

You battle against the root slime by first cleaning and disinfecting, then introduce an enzyme material that will help eat up the decaying matter in your system. You can rinse your roots with 3% h2o2 and also clean you system with the h202. The refill, run for 24 hours with plain water, drain, fill with nutes/water, and add the enzymes. H2o2 will kill enzymes so you need to wait a day. They are not cheap $50 for a liter of hygrozyme. Once you've had the slime you need a combination of enzymes and a low temp solution (I'd keep it at 60ish for a few days) to over come it for the long term.

I run DWC, two chillers and lots and lots of airstones, and use enzymes. Someone asked me a few days ago how often I have to clean my buckets. I had to think about it, and I realized it was when I was replacing a lot of fittings in about April 2011.

Nail down a DWC system, and it it will run itself, but if you skimp on the setup, you'll fight it forever.