Senator Unveils Full Text Of Bill Aimed At Legalizing Marijuana.

greenbuddha

US PA: Senator Unveils Full Text Of Bill Aimed At Legalizing

facebook.gif stumble.gif diggit.gif reddit.gif delicious.gif

URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v13/n090/a01.html

Newshawk: http://www.drugsense.org/donate.htm

Votes: 0

Pubdate: Sun, 24 Feb 2013

Source: Delaware County Daily Times (PA)

Copyright: 2013 The Daily Times

Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/1284

Author: Michael Alan Goldberg

Page: 10

SENATOR UNVEILS FULL TEXT OF BILL AIMED AT LEGALIZING MARIJUANA

As anticipated, state Sen. Daylin Leach, D- 17, of Upper Merion, has unveiled the full text of his controversial marijuana legalization bill, called the "Regulate Marijuana Act" in the current session of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, according to a Leach spokesperson.

Senate Bill 528 states that "in the interest of the efficient use of law enforcement resources, enhancing revenue for public purposes and individual freedom, the people of this Commonwealth find and declare that the use of marijuana should be legal for persons 21 years of age or older and taxed."

Under the proposed legislation, it would no longer be illegal for a person age 21 or older to possess, grow, process or transport up to six marijuana plants ( with three or fewer being mature, flowering plants ) and possess the marijuana produced by those plants where they were grown, "provided that the growing takes place in an enclosed, locked space, is not conducted openly or publicly, and is not made available for sale.

Additionally, the transfer of up to 1 ounce of marijuana, without remuneration, for those 21 or older would be permitted.

The bill would establish a system of lawful marijuana cultivation, harvesting, processing, testing and retail sales facilities to be overseen by the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, which would be in charge of granting, issuing, suspending and revoking all the licenses and permits required to own and operate such facilities.

The bill sets no maximum limit on the amount of marijuana that could be purchased from a properly licensed retail facility. A Leach spokesperson said the bill gives the PLCB the authority to set such a limit, if it so chooses.

According to the bill, the PLCB would be responsible for buying or importing marijuana for sale, subject to the approval of the state treasurer, and "shall buy marijuana and marijuana products at the lowest price and in the greatest variety reasonably obtainable."

The PLCB would be tasked with controlling "the manufacture, possession, sale, consumption, importation, use, storage, transportation and delivery of marijuana ... and to fix the wholesale and retail prices at which marijuana and marijuana products will be sold at retail marijuana stores," the bill states. "Marijuana products" are comprised of marijuana and other ingredients, and include edible items, ointments and tinctures.

It would be up to the PLCB to determine the municipalities and specific locations within those municipalities where marijuana- related facilities would be established and, through the Department of General Services, to "lease and furnish and equip buildings, rooms and other accommodations as required."

The agency would also be mandated to set all application, licensing and renewal fees; establish security requirements for marijuana related facilities, as well as the labeling and health and safety requirements and standards; and determine any restrictions on the advertising and display of marijuana and marijuana products.

In terms of taxation, the bill calls for the General Assembly to "enact an excise tax to be levied upon marijuana sold or otherwise transferred by a marijuana cultivation facility to a marijuana product manufacturing facility or to a retail marijuana store" and to "direct the Department of Revenue to establish procedures for the collection of the tax levied."

The bill would not require employers to "permit State Sen. Daylin Leach, D- 17, of Upper Merion, is promoting a bill that would legalize marijuana in Pennsylvania. or accommodate the use, consumption, possession, transfer, display, transportation, sale or growing of marijuana in the workplace or to affect the ability of employers to have policies restricting the use of marijuana by employees in the workplace."

However, employers would not be allowed to discipline or terminate employees if marijuana is detected during random drug tests.

The bill sets a timetable of no later than July 1, 2014, for the PLCB to adopt the regulations necessary for the establishment of marijuana- related facilities, and Oct. 1, 2014, to begin accepting and processing applications for annual licenses to operate such facilities.

The bill does not address any legal issues involving individuals who have already been charged with violating the marijuana laws that would be eliminated by the passage of Leach's proposed legislation.

Leach has acknowledged he faces an uphill battle in the Senate to see his bill become law. Gov. Tom Corbett has been vocal about his objections to any marijuana legalization efforts in Pennsylvania.

In November, Colorado and Washington state passed historic marijuana legalization laws similar to Leach's bill.

Efforts to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes are also currently under way in Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island and Hawaii.

MAP posted-by: Matt

yep would be nice, in PA the state is in control of liquir and beer, you have to go to a beer outlet run similair to what he is proposing and you have to get your liquir at another place run like that, I rember working their for 3 months and finaly finding a 7-11, oh yea a beer store within walking distance of where an 11 person painting crew can walk to, we go in, no beer, but they did give us directions to all the places, we went out and hailed a cab, in PA bars can sell you like a 12 pack no more, in a 24 hr period, we had a few of them around but they were on the edge of downtown pittsburg and we made the kids that could run the fastest to go get our beers at the bars while we were finishing up our 12 hr work days, we worked 12 hrs, drank for 6 and slept for 6 and started over again, I dont mind that kind of set up at all, it dont mean id use them, but Id like to see peeps have a choice of spending way to much on mm or grow it them selves or barder with another grower, when your out they give to your when there out you give to them. leave the gov out of it once it becomes legal, your gonna have a ton of people using these mm places becuase not all will be on ssdi, alot of them will be able to afford it, but id be trying like heck to grow it while I was paying top dollar to get it!

Nice read!

Peace

Jim

yep would be nice, in PA the state is in control of liquir and beer, you have to go to a beer outlet run similair to what he is proposing and you have to get your liquir at another place run like that, I rember working their for 3 months and finaly finding a 7-11, oh yea a beer store within walking distance of where an 11 person painting crew can walk to, we go in, no beer, but they did give us directions to all the places, we went out and hailed a cab, in PA bars can sell you like a 12 pack no more, in a 24 hr period, we had a few of them around but they were on the edge of downtown pittsburg and we made the kids that could run the fastest to go get our beers at the bars while we were finishing up our 12 hr work days, we worked 12 hrs, drank for 6 and slept for 6 and started over again, I dont mind that kind of set up at all, it dont mean id use them, but Id like to see peeps have a choice of spending way to much on mm or grow it them selves or barder with another grower, when your out they give to your when there out you give to them. leave the gov out of it once it becomes legal, your gonna have a ton of people using these mm places becuase not all will be on ssdi, alot of them will be able to afford it, but id be trying like heck to grow it while I was paying top dollar to get it!

Nice read!

Peace

Jim

Michigan used to run the liquor business in the state. "Honest" John Engler privatized it and gave the business to a friend/political supporter = billion dollar gift. I am just jealous because I don't know anyone who can do that for me. Republicans have always been hot to privatize government services - it is some kind of religion for them. I wonder if their zeal to privatize will carry over into legalized marijuana?

Michigan used to run the liquor business in the state. "Honest" John Engler privatized it and gave the business to a friend/political supporter = billion dollar gift. I am just jealous because I don't know anyone who can do that for me. Republicans have always been hot to privatize government services - it is some kind of religion for them. I wonder if their zeal to privatize will carry over into legalized marijuana?

I can't wait to see privatized prisons go out of business and their stock holders suck wind! Not saying some folks don't need to be locked up, but greed has prevailed over common sense.