Clare Cc 3/23

For example;

Schuette would have had to say that he wouldn't mess with dispensaries if they followed municipal law, then Jamie could use estoppel. But that never happened.

I think that is entirely accurate. Because the state prohibits criminal drug trafficking there is no protection from state enforcement. Whether a dispensary is in agreement with a local government is inconsequential. Agreed?

Edited by GregS

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it Resto. In reading the piece, I come away with the understanding that the Ogden Memo speaks to State-Federal issues. But that is only part of what is happening here. Dispensaries are in violation of U.S. and Michigan State law, again per McQueen. Subsequently, I expect the state has sufficient jurisdiction.

Add in the ingredients of Jamies proposed law. He's thinking (praying) ahead. It's looking more and more like Jamie is already getting pressure from the feds and looking for a paraschute. You can only apply a estoppel if someone advised, and the only advise that applies is that of the Ogden Memo.

I think that is entirely accurate. Because the state prohibits criminal drug trafficking there is no protection from state enforcement. Whether a dispensary is in agreement with a local government is inconsequential. Agreed?

Agreed. But if that new law was enacted then we will have a mess that would take some time to clear up. I believe we would end up in the same place in the long run. Just a lot of court procedings, and hand wringing, that we can avoid by not giving anyone false ground to try to stand on in the short run.

Add in the ingredients of Jamies proposed law. He's thinking (praying) ahead. It's looking more and more like Jamie is already getting pressure from the feds and looking for a paraschute. You can only apply a estoppel if someone advised, and the only advise that applies is that of the Ogden Memo.

Is he not relying on local agreements to protect him from enforcement by government superior to cities, counties, and townships?

Edited by GregS

The problem with a dispensary using the ogden/cole memo is that is specifically disallows commercial enterprises and still says it will pursue conviction if they so choose.

That and it is a matter of federal, and not state, jurisdiction. The State also has the authority to prosecute, and is not in any way subject to Ogden.

He must be pretty on edge waiting for state enforcement.

Asking the state for a law making what you are already doing legal would be pretty dicey. It's like an admission of guilt. I believe the feds are watching, and deciding who to add into the net, as this new law is attempted. A Rico case, that could involve elected officials, wouldn't be out of the question.

Edited by Restorium2

We are not helping to propose this law...  We had a guest speaker.. Jamie has been to the club on several occasions before the dispensary bill even.. He is an activist with more than just one thing he works on.. He and we are interested in an LLEP initiative for clare county as well.. and he really impressed me with his explanations of the wayne state MM studies he brought to our knowledge the last time he came to the club..

The proof will be 'if and when' they quit helping propose a law that hurts home grows. If no one is doing that anymore then things are just 'ducky'. They could even help us fight this bad law. That would go a long way to mend some fences.

We are not helping to propose this law...  We had a guest speaker.. Jamie has been to the club on several occasions before the dispensary bill even.. He is an activist with more than just one thing he works on.. He and we are interested in an LLEP initiative for clare county as well.. and he really impressed me with his explanations of the wayne state MM studies he brought to our knowledge the last time he came to the club..

To each their own. It's hard for me to understand how anyone could even be deemed a medical cannabis advocate when they propose a law that helps end patient home grows. To each their own.

This is personally my main goal at this time.. We have had some success and we plan on much more..

There is something to take consolation from, in that the Clare club is working hard on section 8 cases, and proving reasonably successful. That is potentially expertise we need.

When it comes right down to it(no one likes this part) Schuette is in control of this estoppel stuff. If you had him in your pocket then you could probably pull it off. Do you think Jamie has Schuette on board?

I don't remember bumping my head.

Not at all. Scuette is a dyed in the wool crusader. It would surprise me, and I am not as easily surprised as I once was.

I don't remember bumping my head.

Not at all. Scuette is a dyed in the wool crusader. It would surprise me, and I am not as easily surprised as I once was.

Right. But that would be the only way to use estoppel at the state level. Just covering all the bases and eliminating the less likely possibilities.

My point is that Jamie is very active in a lot of aspects and that he doesn't or didn't focus us in the conversations he brought to the club.. He tells us what he is working on and we ask him questions about those projects.. He never mentions third coast to us as well except when questioned..

My point is that Jamie is very active in a lot of aspects and that he doesn't or didn't focus us in the conversations he brought to the club.. He tells us what he is working on and we ask him questions about those projects.. He never mentions third coast to us as well except when questioned..

I understand that. Yet, how can he ever make up for proposing the ending of growing in your own home? No amount of 'good deeds' will make up for doing that to make himself rich, IMO. All the rest of his moves are just table dressing around his major plan for his dispensaries. Bribes, if you will, to get to the grand prize.

I don't think so. He rarely talks and never mentions Third Coast. He has worked very hard to program the show.

Not to take anything away from the guy, but his involvement does lend advantage that we are not sure we agree he should have with this organization.

Has the MMMA, taken a position on dispensaries? The last I heard about it was Cain's testimony before the judiciary  committee. That was hysterically funny stuff. If not, can we agree on one?

I don't think it's fair to even ask a 'position' on dispensaries when you don't specifically show how you get them to be legal.

EVERYONE sees the good a dispensary COULD POSSIBLY do. So everyone is on board with some sort of dispensary. The problem is the sacrifices that might have to be made to get them legal. Just look at the sacrifice of home grows and you know the problem right now.