Budget Grow

Wild Bill

I've used orchid food in the past, and found it effective and easy to use. It is also more cost effective. It is not absolutely required that Fox Farms, or for that matter any nutes specifically geared toward cannabis growing, be used. Garden centers are bringing in their spring and summer stock now. They carry many nutes that work just fine. Pots, growing media, and organic pesticides are found in their inventories. Watch for bargains.

Years ago SWIM (someone who isn't me) used rose food on outdoor grows and would get 10' plants that looked like Christmas trees.

I've found that many of the nutes that are sold as cannabis specific are highly overrated and cost too much for what you get. They like to use bright colors on their packages to attract stoned people.They thrive on the myth that things need to be complicated to work, ie. mix 2 parts of this with three parts of that unless the moon is full then use twice as much. Some people enjoy the ritual of mixing nutes and checking levels. I don't.

A good one part fertilizer is all you need.

By the way, I used to check the ph but I've found that using DynaGro and tap water it was almost always around 5.5 so I don't even bother anymore. Of course it changes as the fertilizer is used up but I just watch the plant and let it tell me what it wants.

Nor do I add nutes on a regular schedule. After the initial addition I usually just add water and basically keep an eye on how the plant looks. If it seems to be thriving I just add water, if it looks like it could use some more food, I feed it. Zen gardening.

Some of this is strain dependant also. For instance Lemon Cake likes extra Cal/Mag when in flower. White Widow sometimes drinks up a gallon of water a day.

I used to have a Peruvian landrace that just wouldn't grow well for me. It hermied frequently sometimes for no apparent reason. I recently acquired a Nepalese Sativa and I can see already that I'll need to make some adjustments for it. It is a tall lanky plant so it will need some Bonsai style LST.

If one strain doesn't go well for you then try a different one. Some are more difficult to grow than others. Play around with them until you find what works best for you.

• 2 months later...

I would say it can, but i must say , a 400w ballast and cheap reflector can be had for like $109 nowadays.

400 Watt system

Just to show it is out there people.

Toss in a few CFL's for veg, cost of a few pots and soil or what Wild bill showed here; register a caregiver to give ya clones- a little instruction and .... there ya go.

I got the same exact light system. The only thing different is the name. Mine say's the namebrand "Apollo". Go to Amazon and search on 400w grow light. It should be the one towards the top. I paid like $119 w/ free shipping and it came with BOTH Mh and hps bulbs. The ratcheting light hangers are worth there weight in gold too. I don't think I have ever been so pleased with a purchase in my life. Shoot, just read the reviews. And the results are well worth the little extra in electricity.

:-)

Yea. I deal with a lot of people without much money(if any) and this is a great inexpensive way for a patient to get started with a decent light that is perfectly fine for any closet grow.  Most patients can supply themselves with such a light if shown how to. :-)

Indeed. Oh, and it came with a free light timer. I'm all about free.  :thumbsu: