Hello. New Member Introduction :)

Hello.  I'd like to introduce myself to the forum.  My name is Allie.  I currently live in Ohio, and I am thinking about moving to Michigan.  I have been a chronic pain patient for 17 years.  I have a daughter in college, I enjoy reading, knitting, current events and action/crime movies and shows.  I have RSD/CRPS, rheumatoid arthritis, spinal stenosis, three cervical herniated discs, severe spasticity, and chronic migraines.  

I have been a patient at the Cleveland Clinic for several years.  I have also used cannabis to help alleviate my spasms, migraine pain and nausea.  I am a chronic pain patient who is also prescribed pain medications.  Recently, I tested positive for THC on one of my random urine tests.  My doctor was not happy about this, and stopped prescribing my meds and referred me to the chronic pain management rehabilitation program at the Cleveland Clinic.  He didn't quit me, he just said to come back in six months.  Needless to say, I am not happy about this, since I don't have my meds and because the program he referred me to has terrible reviews.  I have read that many of you advise that a patient is better off to keep their cannabis use to themselves.  It appears that Michigan patients are having similar problems to patients like me.  Yes, I do know that Ohio doesn't have MMJ laws yet, although it is decriminalized here.

I have met many nice people in the waiting area at the Cleveland Clinic.  Many of them come up every month from states that are quite far such as VA, SC, KY etc.  Maybe I should try to find a doctor in a MMJ state?  Maybe I should just move?  I thought I would try and get some thoughts and opinions from people who already live in an MMJ state.  I'm in pain, I'm frustrated, and winter is coming.  Winter is the worst for me, physically.  Anything you guys would like to say would be greatly appreciated.  

I'm glad to have found this forum, I hope to learn a lot and make some new acquaintances. 

welcome to the forums..

I am so sorry to hear about your pain and discomfort as well as your difficulty dealing with a pain management doctor as a result of utilizing a the resources this amazing plant can offer.

I am glad your here to ask questions.. I hope you find all the information you are searching for.

we have many folks here that are experienced getting the boot from a pain clinic and I am sure some will be able to help offer good advice...

Welcome to the 3MA!

Did you just start utilizing marijuana?  Have they tested you previously in the 17 years that you have been with them?

Sadly, I do not offer much hope for your situation.   As you said, the pain clinics here in Michigan are going to do the same things your doctor in Ohio is doing.  You are fortunate that your doctor referred you to another program, many here do not get offered such an option.  

I wish you the best of luck in your treatment and hope you find the relief you seek. 

Welcome. I am also a Cleveland Clinic patient. My surgeon was well aware that I was a MMJ pt. He gave me Marinol while I was in for 10 days. It is very hard to get help here in Michigan with your MMJ.The card is easy to get,you meet the conditions. That will cost 200.00. Only certain Drs will even do this. Then you pay the State another 100.00 to get your MMJ card. Unless you grow it yourself,you really are at the mercy of caregivers.People don't understand that maybe the pt is physically unable to grow due to physical health problems. There are some dispensaries around,but they charge quite a lot. All you will get are good wishes from people,but nobody will help you. You learn that right away. It's the nature of the subject,nobody can really say anything in public. Other States are doing well,Michigan govt has stood in the way of legal patients and still is. They have made it almost impossible to find medical grade meds. And if you are not able to drive,you can't even go to a dispensary.

Welcome. I am also a Cleveland Clinic patient. My surgeon was well aware that I was a MMJ pt. He gave me Marinol while I was in for 10 days. It is very hard to get help here in Michigan with your MMJ.The card is easy to get,you meet the conditions. That will cost 200.00. Only certain Drs will even do this. Then you pay the State another 100.00 to get your MMJ card. Unless you grow it yourself,you really are at the mercy of caregivers.People don't understand that maybe the pt is physically unable to grow due to physical health problems. There are some dispensaries around,but they charge quite a lot. All you will get are good wishes from people,but nobody will help you. You learn that right away. It's the nature of the subject,nobody can really say anything in public. Other States are doing well,Michigan govt has stood in the way of legal patients and still is. They have made it almost impossible to find medical grade meds. And if you are not able to drive,you can't even go to a dispensary.

Well wishes were extended on the doctor situation.   There isn't much to offer her on that issue, besides that.   

I don't know your situation "jointedone" but you are obviously not very well connected here in Michigan.  We have an abundance of good caregivers here and medical grade is far from hard to find.  CG's and medical grade is not the issue at hand here though.  This lady was requesting information relevant to her healthcare situation.  There is not an easy answer for her.   We can not provide her with a solution on that situation, because it's the same here as what she is describing there.  It doesn't make any difference with the pain clinics, whether a person has a state card or not. 

As far as your reference on how to obtain a card, a person would need to be a Michigan resident before taking the steps noted.  Once a Michigan resident, it sounds like she would have little issue getting a card.  The problem still lies with the fact she will have the same difficulties obtaining her narcotics, carded or not.  But if she chose to become a resident and take those steps, there are plenty of good CG's, providing medical grade cannabis, one would surely be able to meet her needs :)  I am sure there are many of us that could help her get a doctors recommendation for quite a bit less than $200 as well! 

I am sorry you feel so bitter about Michigan and the mmj program.  If what you describe above is truly your experience, you need to be asking some questions/getting more connected/requesting help in finding a decent CG.  There are many willing to help guide those seeking education and information!

Sorry to hear of your pain and dealings with the doctors there. They do not make it easy once they find out about mmj treatment. As far as getting a card it sounds like you more than qualify you just have to become a resident. There are good caregivers here with descent prices but you HAVE TO BE A RESIDENT with a card and SIGN WITH THE CAREGIVER or else alot wont be able to help you.

Good luck and good health.......

Thank you all so much for the replies and well wishes.  I am so sorry that you guys have MMJ and are still having issues with your doctors as well.  Before I came on this forum, I thought it would be the opposite.  It seems we are all pretty much in the same boat.

I have used MJ on and off for years, but only in the last year I put 2 and 2 together and realized that it was stopping my spasms and my migraines decreased from approximately 10-12 a month to 2-3 a month.  The muscle relaxers (flexaril, skelaxin, soma, zanaflex) either don't work or put me in a mental state (drowsy, can't read or focus on anything) or both.  I wish MJ worked completely for all my conditions, but it doesn't.  Otherwise, I would say FU to big pharma and just utilize MJ.

I tried my best in the last year to use MJ for the first week to ten days a month, then stop because I was afraid of a random urine test.  Unfortunately, the month they tested me I used it for almost half the month.  I also do physical therapy, in the pool and out.  I do yoga as well.  Contrary do society's beliefs and my doctor's beliefs, I didn't sit around stoned out all day watching soap operas.  I took 2-3 small puffs about every six hours.  I guess that's why my level was low.

Again, thank you all so much for the replies, and I look forward to being a productive member of this forum.  If that's ok with you guys, since I don't currently live in Michigan...yet.