Marijuana Prisoner

My brother Weldon is a talented musician, producer, and loving father. But for the past ten years his kids have grown up without their dad because he's serving a mandatory 55 year sentence in prison for a nonviolent marijuana offense.

Weldon's judge wanted to sentence him to just one day in prison for three small-time marijuana sales, but because an informant testified that he saw a gun, which wasn't used or displayed, federal law forced him to issue a mandatory minimum 55 year sentence. The judge called it “unjust, cruel, and irrational.” But he had no choice. 

The judge is hopeful that justice can still be served for my brother -- he wrote a letter that strongly recommends President Obama commute Weldon's sentence, and over 100 people signed his request in support -- including former U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno and a prominent Republican Senator. 

I started a petition on Change.org because I believe the momentum to free Weldon could pressure the President to grant him clemency. Please sign my petition asking Pardoning Attorney Rodgers to recommend that President Obama commute the remainder of Weldon's sentence.

Weldon made the mistake of selling marijuana and deserves to serve some time, but his sentence is longer than those imposed for three aircraft hijackings, three second-degree murders, three kidnappings, and three rapes. Now, significant public support for the President to pardon him is the only chance Weldon has of getting out of prison before he's 70 years old.

Not a day goes by that I don't miss my brother. I can't stand seeing his kids miss their father because he made one mistake and is now paying an unfairly high price for it. And I'm not the only one who thinks so. 

Join thousands of others who have signed my petition on Change.org demanding that federal Pardon Attorney Rodgers approve the request of Weldon's judge and recommend his clemency request to President Obama. Click here to sign. 

Thank you for your support. 

Lisa Angelos

Sign Lisa's Petition

My brother Weldon is a talented musician, producer, and loving father. But for the past ten years his kids have grown up without their dad because he's serving a mandatory 55 year sentence in prison for a nonviolent marijuana offense.

Weldon's judge wanted to sentence him to just one day in prison for three small-time marijuana sales, but because an informant testified that he saw a gun, which wasn't used or displayed, federal law forced him to issue a mandatory minimum 55 year sentence. The judge called it “unjust, cruel, and irrational.” But he had no choice. 

The judge is hopeful that justice can still be served for my brother -- he wrote a letter that strongly recommends President Obama commute Weldon's sentence, and over 100 people signed his request in support -- including former U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno and a prominent Republican Senator. 

I started a petition on Change.org because I believe the momentum to free Weldon could pressure the President to grant him clemency. Please sign my petition asking Pardoning Attorney Rodgers to recommend that President Obama commute the remainder of Weldon's sentence.

Weldon made the mistake of selling marijuana and deserves to serve some time, but his sentence is longer than those imposed for three aircraft hijackings, three second-degree murders, three kidnappings, and three rapes. Now, significant public support for the President to pardon him is the only chance Weldon has of getting out of prison before he's 70 years old.

Not a day goes by that I don't miss my brother. I can't stand seeing his kids miss their father because he made one mistake and is now paying an unfairly high price for it. And I'm not the only one who thinks so. 

Join thousands of others who have signed my petition on Change.org demanding that federal Pardon Attorney Rodgers approve the request of Weldon's judge and recommend his clemency request to President Obama. Click here to sign. 

Thank you for your support. 

Lisa Angelos

Sign Lisa's Petition

Thanks it's a very sad story for sure i have signed it