Probation???

I am a student at Michigan State University and last year as a freshman I got busted smoking pot on campus. I know this was self-inflicted and I was violating the rules for the medical laws by being on campus but I didnt think it would be this big of a deal. I met with my lawyer today to discuss my possession charges and he said I am looking at 6 months probation even though I had my medical card. Any comments?? Why am i getting probation even though legally I am allowed to possess marijuana? 

Not supposed to be smoking in public for your medical exemptions to be valid. So you were not covered by your card when smoking in public. You were just like anyone else smoking in public then. So you got probation because you have a decent criminal record. 

Now when you go on probation you might have some rights because you have a card, or not, depending on your judge and probation officer. That's where your attorney will shine or become a dull rock. 

is there 

15 minutes ago, Restorium2 said:

Not supposed to be smoking in public for your medical exemptions to be valid. So you were not covered by your card when smoking in public. You were just like anyone else smoking in public then. So you got probation because you have a decent criminal record. 

Now when you go on probation you might have some rights because you have a card, or not, depending on your judge and probation officer. That's where your attorney will shine or become a dull rock. 

What could be another option besides probation? Could I just get hit with a fine?

Your attorney was most likely telling you what has been happening to others in your situation.

What is supposed to be happening is a deterrent to make students quit smoking cannabis in public on campus.

You are the example, to get the word out.

The judge probably figures that a fine would be too easy and not a deterrent. Where as probation is more of a pain in the arse.  I'm just using logic that may or may not apply.

Just now, Chiefcam47 said:

Thank you for your input. I find it funny though how my roommate also got caught smoking in the dorm by the police and all he had to do was take a class through the school with zero fines. 

4 minutes ago, Restorium2 said:

Your attorney was most likely telling you what has been happening to others in your situation.

What is supposed to be happening is a deterrent to make students quit smoking cannabis in public on campus.

You are the example, to get the word out.

The judge probably figures that a fine would be too easy and not a deterrent. Where as probation is more of a pain in the arse.  I'm just using logic that may or may not apply.

1 minute ago, Restorium2 said:

What if; 

Because the cops knew your roommate got caught and was punished, and you still did the same thing, they thought that they should be a little harsher on you?

Cops talk with prosecutors, and attorneys talk with prosecutors. They go merrily around in a circle to decide what happens with your case. 

I was actually smoking outside my dorm building while he was smoking straight up inside our room. It is a weird situation. The cops that busted me had no idea who/where/when my roommate got caught, they were just after me 

is this your first charge ever? then you maybe able to null it with a 7411.

did they catch you smoking and confiscate some marijuana for lab tests?

who is prosecuting you? dearborn? wayne county ? or msp ? or lansing ?

sorry a lot of questions, but the answers will guide where you need to go.

2 hours ago, bax said:

It is my first charge, and msp is prosecuting me. From what I remember they confiscated my griner which contained kief too. 

3 minutes ago, Chiefcam47 said:

It is my first charge, and msp is prosecuting me. From what I remember they confiscated my griner which contained kief too. 

3 hours ago, bax said:

Ive been rolled up on by the cops smoking pot in high school but they never did anything. Also, I am from California 

2 hours ago, Chiefcam47 said:

I was hoping it would exempt me from going on probation all together 

See what your lawyer can get for you. But I would set your minimum expectations to include probation and drug testing. Usually, you can get the arrest and conviction "expunged" from your record upon successful completion of probation.