Rental property while caregiving

mdc623

Hi I was just wondering if anyone has experience buying a rental property while being a cg. If you claim the income on your tax return I’m assuming a bank will deny you for a rental property loan since they won’t even let you keep the cash in their bank. Am I correct in this assumption? Any experience or input would be helpful, thanks. 

Bankers do the math. They know that you can only legally have 5 patients. So your caregiver income is only what 5 patients can afford to pay you minus ALL the expenses. Not that much to declare in a legal caregiver scenario. So it's a non issue for income and a big issue if you declare more than what 5 people can afford to pay you minus expenses. In other words, you may be cutting your own throat by saying you make money as a caregiver. Now selling past your 5 might be lucrative but not legal income. 

Good point. I personally don’t make a lot from being a cg, just a side thing I enjoy doing but I do have a job. I haven’t ever claimed it on my taxes but I’ve never been sure if I’m supposed to be or not. I was just wondering if I need to be claiming it & how it would effect getting a loan if it was on the return but not trying to use it as income to get approved for a loan. If anyone has ever had an audit or some problems from not claiming cg income please share. Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. 

Edited by mdc623

12 minutes ago, mdc623 said:

Good point. I personally don’t make a lot from being a cg, just a side thing I enjoy doing but I do have a job. I haven’t ever claimed it on my taxes but I’ve never been sure if I’m supposed to be or not. I was just wondering if I need to be claiming it & how it would effect getting a loan if it was on the return but not trying to use it as income to get approved for a loan. If anyone has ever had an audit or some problems from not claiming cg income please share. Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. 

The only way anyone is getting audited for caregiver income would be if one of the patients they sold to declared it as an expense on their income tax and included the caregiver's SS number. Or, of course, they tell someone about it when getting a loan or some other official paperwork.  You don't want a paper trail and a patient wouldn't either.