Help Me Design My Ventilation System!

Kingdiamond

Well after a lot of complaining from my wife to get my plants and medicine out of sight i built a room to use for my grow.

Dimensions are 11x6x8 i have installed two 6 to 4 inch reducers in a piece of plexiglass to outside aircool the digital 1000 watt hps and the other intake im planning on setting up another 500+ cfm inline to draw cool air into the grow room the room is not air tight but im likely going to do that if i can find a way to evacuate the air and cool the lamp using just the two fans.

Any brainstormers out there got any ideas? :mellow:

(fyi) I have both my vegetating plants and flowering box in this room.

My room is about the same size. I'm using 1 465 cfm fan to cool the reflectors 6" ducting and

a 16" fan for circulation and have had no problems with temp.

The only way you might have problem's is if your room was built outside or in a garage then you might

have heat issues.

The only thing I might reconsider is the 500 cfm fan to bring cool air in. I would go with a duct booster

from Home Depot for under $50.

How are you handling odor control? Don't care? I've usually set up grow rooms with negative pressure. i.e. pull air out of the room through a carbon filter, and let air flow into the room passively. That way all airflow through the room goes through the carbon filter.

The next room I'm setting up will also have separate airflow for light cooling. Air moving from outside the room > fan > air cooled lights > outside.

How are you handling odor control? Don't care? I've usually set up grow rooms with negative pressure. i.e. pull air out of the room through a carbon filter, and let air flow into the room passively. That way all airflow through the room goes through the carbon filter.

The next room I'm setting up will also have separate airflow for light cooling. Air moving from outside the room > fan > air cooled lights > outside.

At the moment smells not a big issue my current grow has very little stink unlike my black queens you could smell that strain the minute the front door was opened. :blink:

Last night room temperatures stayed in the mid 70s outside the flower box and 80 inside the box this only having a piece of flex ducting on the non active reducer if i add a fan it should make the room optimal not a real big fan of the home depot duct fans though very low output ill probably just go with a 200-300 cfm fan to suit my needs.

Are you using sealed lights?

The biggest help I have found is to use a sealed light. Draw the air from outside the room through the light and back out of the room without touching the air inside the room. If you run C02 you can keep it sealed up from there. If not, I would run a second vent plugged into a thermostat that can automatically kick on when temps get high and exhaust air from the room to the outside. Even that isn't always enough. If you are running into heat issues in April, you will probably need to run AC in the summer. One other option to keep heat and energy use down as the weather warms up is to flip your light cycle to the overnight hours.

Are you using sealed lights?

Yes i run a air cooled easy 6 reflector my basement stays cool all year round even in blistering heat my plan is if it gets too hot in the grow area i will reverse my setup and pull the cool air from inside and then vent the lamp outdoors .

Would this work for ya?

Push fresh air in through the lamp, then to a damper and a carbon filter on the exhaust side.

Youd be able to maintain a sealed room for co2, use the damper for heating if you need it, and control odor by moving air through the carbon filter. And always have a fresh air intake.

http://www.climatedoctors.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=429975

Would this work for ya?

Push fresh air in through the lamp, then to a damper and a carbon filter on the exhaust side.

Youd be able to maintain a sealed room for co2, use the damper for heating if you need it, and control odor by moving air through the carbon filter. And always have a fresh air intake.

http://www.climatedoctors.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=429975

Hey that things pretty kool ill be looking into getting that implimented into my system once i get some bucks saved up this hobby has become very very expensive! :o

Tell me about it! Its nice now to just be upgrading. You might be able to find a cheaper damper at a local place, def not at your hydro store thats for sure!! That link was just a quick google search to show you what I was talking about. Its pretty easy to install. Hopefully it works for ya.

i cant believe the mayor has not put this post up for you yet. Good luck if you have any questions just ask. One big thing i found when getting your air worked out is, having your room air tight is key. Small holes add up and cant create to much air flow. If your negative pressure is not right you'll have a hell of a time.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112862

Archived