Lansing's First Official Medical Marijuana Dispensary Opens

ansing State Journal

SCOTT DAVIS • SEDAVIS@LSJ.COM • APRIL 20, 2010

http://www.lansingst...ispensary-opens

LANSING - In a storefront along East Grand River Avenue, Darryl Brija waits patiently in a chair while Rochelle Harris checks his driver's license and measures out a quarter-ounce of marijuana.

Brija, 52, of Potterville, hands over $90 in cash. Harris hands over the plastic baggie of marijuana, which Brija slips into his jacket2_bing.gif pocket.

Nothing appears sinister in the transaction. It's just business as usual at Lansing's first official medical marijuana2_bing.gif dispensary, which is testing the limits of the state's medicinal marijuana law.

"It gives peace of mind that there is a place where I can go to buy it," said Brija, who is state-certified to use marijuana for a degenerative back disease. "It's a good thing for people who can't grow it themselves."

Danny Trevino, a Lansing man who sells marijuana growing equipment at Hydro World in Lansing, opened the dispensary last week at 407 E. Grand River Ave in Old Town. Mid-Michigan marijuana experts say dispensaries have been operating informally out of a few Lansing homes for months, but Trevino's business marks the first official dispensary in Lansing.

Trevino acknowledges marijuana dispensaries are a "gray area" in the year-old medicinal marijuana law since nothing in state statute expressly allows for their creation. The law states that authorized caregivers can grow up to 12 plants for someone certified to use marijuana for a medical problem, and a patient can only carry 2.5 ounces of the herb at one time.

In crafting the law, state officials envisioned that medicinal users would either grow the marijuana themselves or buy it from one specific caregiver.

Trevino contends his business is legal because he "contracts" with more than 20 caregivers to supply the marijuana for his business, and the patient then authorizes the business as caregiver.

Read more about the story in Wednesday's Lansing State Journal

I wish them all well and thankful they're try'in anyways. I can forsee all of them getting raided right before this law hits the 2 year mark as our apponants can use this to say the new law is out of control. My 2 cents anyways so we'll see.

Was talking to the guy thats runnin the yippys one and when I asked him how they dispens to folks other than there own patients he just said THEY FEEL it's ok and they THINK that with the part where the law says primary caregiver then ya can have a secondary one,, which is the dispenc. The city I guess was ok with it as they did go to them first and do have the funds to fight this in court if it ever gets that way. So,,, more power to them and I wish them well.

I just see the raids in states where it's clearly spelled out in the law and being it's not SPELLED out in ours then,,, well,,,, guess we'll see. We'll never know till folks try and I'm glad someones got more balls and money then me.............

I wish them well also! 90 x 4 = 360.....a lil better than the others, maybe they will get lower priced one day,,I would like to see them open every where, and not be closed down by the law, but be shut down because people can get mm cheaper and better at home! open them up the more the marrier, I do wish them well and hope it helps the cause, not realy sure if it will or wont though, one of the post says he expects them to get busted before election time, now why would they do that 67% of the voters passed the law, if you break it down county by county, i beleive every county in mi was above 50% voting yes to mm, I beleive we need some pos looking people representing us (not some one that looks like me or cheech or chong) yes people do judge a book by its cover! we need suited representation at all of these rallys and political discusions on the law! just my opinon!

roll on!

This man has a HUGE set of nads. I wish him luck on his new venture.

He is "wienie" sure, that he won't get busted. I've attended his Hydro College, he believes that maintaining a "high" profile will give him some modest protection as if LEO does decide to arrest and prosecute they NEED to win or it would open the door even wider for the MM industry in Michigan, that and prosecutors are elected officials and he is confident they DON’T have the “nads” to bust him.

I wish them well also! 90 x 4 = 360.....a lil better than the others, maybe they will get lower priced one day,,I would like to see them open every where, and not be closed down by the law, but be shut down because people can get mm cheaper and better at home! open them up the more the marrier, I do wish them well and hope it helps the cause, not realy sure if it will or wont though, one of the post says he expects them to get busted before election time, now why would they do that 67% of the voters passed the law, if you break it down county by county, i beleive every county in mi was above 50% voting yes to mm, I beleive we need some pos looking people representing us (not some one that looks like me or cheech or chong) yes people do judge a book by its cover! we need suited representation at all of these rallys and political discusions on the law! just my opinon!

roll on!

I don't know how that person seemed to pay $90 his price is $100/quarter. Don't count on a price drop, none has occurred in Cali and a tax (legalization) would probably push the price up.

FYI: I'm a registered Lansing area caregiver with two free slots....

roll on!

Very interesting indeed, I applaud this man.

I personally hope this is what Michigan is looking forward to.

His prices are not shabby, if he has quality product... I may pay him a visit! B)

Archived