A Protective Seervices Run In...

MzMalachi

Last week my name was turned in to protective services as a pot smoker and probable grower.There were other allegations made but the worker took out his list and said he wasnt worried about this,this or this,but he was worried about the pot allegations.He told me I would either need to show my home that there was no grow room and take a Mt.Dew test, or admit and be open to evaluation about my use...I told them that I am in the process of becoming a patient and felt I may be protected by the affirmative defense.They still were not leaving until I showed the house.When they saw that there was no grow room they dropped the case.Was I shook down illegally?The good that came out of it is that from now on they have noted I am becoming a patient and will not persue any further pot allegations...What a waste of state taxes,how are we going to protect from this type of issue,the worker said he is getting lots of these complaints a week and must investigate them all...Thanks

Technically, the only folks who can force entry into your home are police with warrants. Now, protective services can make your life a living hell in other ways, and can request police assistance if they think someone is in danger and are denied entry, but they have no per-se right to enter anyone's home without permission.

At least they said they won't hassle you any more. It is pretty silly, but our country's bereaucracy wasn't founded on what makes sense.

Last week my name was turned in to protective services as a pot smoker and probable grower.There were other allegations made but the worker took out his list and said he wasnt worried about this,this or this,but he was worried about the pot allegations.He told me I would either need to show my home that there was no grow room and take a Mt.Dew test, or admit and be open to evaluation about my use...I told them that I am in the process of becoming a patient and felt I may be protected by the affirmative defense.They still were not leaving until I showed the house.When they saw that there was no grow room they dropped the case.Was I shook down illegally?The good that came out of it is that from now on they have noted I am becoming a patient and will not persue any further pot allegations...What a waste of state taxes,how are we going to protect from this type of issue,the worker said he is getting lots of these complaints a week and must investigate them all...Thanks

SO CPS wants to be involved in your health care.....Another government branch run a muck. I am sorry you had to deal with them. If it goes any farther let us know. John

Phaq me!! thats what im talking about! that is most messed up, phaq (radio edit) me!

Man I dont need this do do! pm me with a county unless you feel comfy doing it on here, that is all im worried about is the kids! I havent started the lites but im ready to go! I got a 17 , 14 and 10 yr old ,,,,this blows, I want to do my own grow, I cant put these kids thru this stit!

Thats what i got a c.g for, unfortunatly it didnt work out. now I was gonna give it a wirl (again) I didnt have the kids when i grew last, they are all my lady's kids, please dont get me wrong, they are my kids! in heart body and soul. I love them to death! IM paranoid as all heck, i already been thru the courts for possesion,not in the home thank god, but i did a little vaca in the county hilton, and it fricking breaks my heart to read the letters! My family actualy suffers more than I do when I get locked up! Sheet its the only time i get to read!!!! angry.gif

I feel for ya! and me and the rest of us! we have laws that we are supposed to follow, if we break them we pay the price, if they break them WHY DONT THEY HAVE TO PAY THE PRICE!!

IM PISSED! (self edited the best i could)

Technically, the only folks who can force entry into your home are police with warrants. Now, protective services can make your life a living hell in other ways, and can request police assistance if they think someone is in danger and are denied entry, but they have no per-se right to enter anyone's home without permission.

At least they said they won't hassle you any more. It is pretty silly, but our country's bereaucracy wasn't founded on what makes sense.

not the pointe! they black mailed them to let them in, and they would have gotten in if they didnt let them!

You dont mess with child protective services! period,

Wow this really upsets me! How dare those over educated under brained a$$ holes!!! You know to take our kids and use them as leverage to get into our homes is probably one of the most underhanded schemes I've ever seen. This tactic is nothing new, they've been using it for years. They just don't get it when it comes to our kids. We will lay down on train tracks in front of a speeding train to protect our kids.

MzMalachi, do you have any ideas as to who may have turned you in?

I would be extremely careful in my conversations with everyone even close family members. Yes my husband knows and my patients have signed a confidentiality statement with me. If they even breath a word I drop them and they know I will in a heart beat. You may want to get a separate e-mail address and use that for joining groups such as this one. I don't use my personal e-mail, screen name or anything that will link any medical marijuana conversations back to me.

i have a cps case right now that is almost closed...the mmj was a BIG issue. but they are reasonable in most cases i think...it took about 6 months of interviews, home visits, kids interviews, etc...and if btw you tell them they cant come in your house they will get a warrant and then the hassle factor goes up about 1000%...i want them to do their job, and do it thoroughly. they are just as confused about what to do because they have had absolutely no input from the attorney general regarding how to proceed in these cases...unfortuneately there will probably be test cases about cps and mmj in the future in regards to this

You are 100% correct in wanting them to do their job.

IHMO, what disturbs me about all of these recent incidents with LEO and now CPS is;

Where were they when the crack dealers were cooking up crack next door or mommy and daddy left the kids to score some H and have been gone for three days. I've seen so many neglected kids where CPS have failed to do their job knowing what was going on and the kids are in imminent danger it just makes my blood boil. Case workers who didn't return back to the home to check on the kids or just plain out lost the files. I work in government and I see this every day of the week. Some but not all pick and choose which cases they will make priority cases out of and it's usually the easier ones. CPS is under staffed, over worked, under paid and most of the case workers take the easy "job's" and make them last for months and months when in reality they should be going after the tougher cases.

i have a cps case right now that is almost closed...the mmj was a BIG issue. but they are reasonable in most cases i think...it took about 6 months of interviews, home visits, kids interviews, etc...and if btw you tell them they cant come in your house they will get a warrant and then the hassle factor goes up about 1000%...i want them to do their job, and do it thoroughly. they are just as confused about what to do because they have had absolutely no input from the attorney general regarding how to proceed in these cases...unfortuneately there will probably be test cases about cps and mmj in the future in regards to this

You are 100% correct in wanting them to do their job.

IHMO, what disturbs me about all of these recent incidents with LEO and now CPS is;

Where were they when the crack dealers were cooking up crack next door or mommy and daddy left the kids to score some H and have been gone for three days. I've seen so many neglected kids where CPS have failed to do their job knowing what was going on and the kids are in imminent danger it just makes my blood boil. Case workers who didn't return back to the home to check on the kids or just plain out lost the files. I work in government and I see this every day of the week. Some but not all pick and choose which cases they will make priority cases out of and it's usually the easier ones. CPS is under staffed, over worked, under paid and most of the case workers take the easy "job's" and make them last for months and months when in reality they should be going after the tougher cases.

Well said. Medical Marijuana patients and caregivers are the low-hanging fruit. Low risk, high reward for LEO and caseworkers.

Guest CaveatLector

I don't get this. People zoom in on one fact and then run with it.

Why did you initially have contact with CPS? Clearly there was an open case for a different reason.

So this for some reason became an issue as well. And you don't have a card nor are you a patient. So why is everyone so up in arms? Stating to a CPS worker that you think you would be covered by Aff. Def. is what you thought would get them off your back?

At what point do people see a CPS inquiry as okay? If CPS thinks you have an illegal grow (which, if you did, could mean the children are at risk for other reasons as well) why are they so rotten for investigating? If you have an illegal operation CPS is supposed to assume that you aren't running a drug house and people aren't stopping by to make buys, etc.? If people are then how is that safe for the kids? Looks to me like CPS did their job. The day that your status as a non-registered patient should take precedence over the welfare of a child is the day I move out of Michigan.

They didn't hassle a card-holding patient or CG. Wake up!

Why did you initially have contact with CPS? Clearly there was an open case for a different reason.

So this for some reason became an issue as well. And you don't have a card nor are you a patient. So why is everyone so up in arms? Stating to a CPS worker that you think you would be covered by Aff. Def. is what you thought would get them off your back?

At what point do people see a CPS inquiry as okay? If CPS thinks you have an illegal grow (which, if you did, could mean the children are at risk for other reasons as well) why are they so rotten for investigating? If you have an illegal operation CPS is supposed to assume that you aren't running a drug house and people aren't stopping by to make buys, etc.? If people are then how is that safe for the kids? Looks to me like CPS did their job. The day that your status as a non-registered patient should take precedence over the welfare of a child is the day I move out of Michigan.

Wrong...There is and was no cps case...They were going on a tip from a pissed off neighbor..I know this for sure as the same neighbor tried to have my hubby fired from his job a day earlier...for same reason...

Wow this really upsets me! How dare those over educated under brained a$$ holes!!! You know to take our kids and use them as leverage to get into our homes is probably one of the most underhanded schemes I've ever seen. This tactic is nothing new, they've been using it for years. They just don't get it when it comes to our kids. We will lay down on train tracks in front of a speeding train to protect our kids.

MzMalachi, do you have any ideas as to who may have turned you in?

I would be extremely careful in my conversations with everyone even close family members. Yes my husband knows and my patients have signed a confidentiality statement with me. If they even breath a word I drop them and they know I will in a heart beat. You may want to get a separate e-mail address and use that for joining groups such as this one. I don't use my personal e-mail, screen name or anything that will link any medical marijuana conversations back to me.

I know 100 % who did it and it was out of spite over a stupid arguement...She also tried to have my hubby fired too...

A few other facts...They talked to my kids at school and found out they do not see me use anything in front of them and the kids feel I am a good mom..They spoke to them on April 13th,my oldest told me about it on the day.I was expecting to hear from them that week but they didnt contact me until...get this...april 20th...

Also I am not a grower or a drug dealer...

I know 100 % who did it and it was out of spite over a stupid arguement...She also tried to have my hubby fired too...

This is why it's best to tell as few people as possible, ya never know who will turn on you, and you find you have a false friend. I listen to my intuition it tells me not to tell so-and-so and even if I'm still friends with the person I don't tell and not long after I got that warning last year, this particular person pulled a stunt on me I'll never forget or forgive; I was thankful I didn't mention my interest in MM, though I think the person is open minded about it but still I knew to keep quiet because I also had a very strong feeling this person would make trouble for me about it out of spite. It really hurts when someone we think we can trust turns on us but lucky for me I sensed right away not to say anything and it paid off.

Silverblue

MzMalachi.. if you are in the process of getting certified then you are covered by the A.D. and it sounds like the social service dogg saw that for what it was. It sucks that you were treated that way by your neighbor.. I would definately stay away from that person from now on. Great news that S.S. wont be investigating again for mm. I wouldnt sweat it they are bound to investagate every single allegation that they get.And from your statement it sounds like they left without incident so obviously they didnt find anything wrong at your home or with your parenting. Or.. quite frankly they wouldnt have left without incident.

A few other facts...They talked to my kids at school and found out they do not see me use anything in front of them and the kids feel I am a good mom..They spoke to them on April 13th,my oldest told me about it on the day.I was expecting to hear from them that week but they didnt contact me until...get this...april 20th...

Also I am not a grower or a drug dealer...

Well im sure after you get legal you will be an excellent grower.. :-)

Just a guess but I would say you were either a Social worker (some type of gov worker) or a cop.

Just a guess but I would say you were either a Social worker (some type of gov worker) or a cop.

I think he is just trying to slow down the paranoia a little. Not all the leo and government workers and caseworkers are out to get MMj patients but they still have to do there jobs & check out allegations especially when kids are involved.

sounds to me like they did & went on there way. Using the AD is great but thats for a judge to decide not them.

want to not get hassled or have to worry, have your card or paperwork, stay within all the limits ( a drying plant counts as a plant, drying loose buds count tword the 2.5)Not my rules, I wish they were different but I will stay just a little shy of my limit to account for leo's imagination.

No I'm not a cop or gov worker or caseworker either and it would be nice not to have their intrusions into our lives, but when you need them you want them there. I just don't believe their all sitting around thinking of ways to get patients, and I bet they don't like having to investigate all these false reports from people who can't get along and want to use them to get even but they have to. What would happen if they didn't check it out & something happened to a child.... They would be responsible & you would want them skinned.

Christinax4 is very correct - they can and will enter your home and you can't stop them. And unfortunately, they are by law required to investigate any complaint - even if they've responded to the identical complaint and found it unsubstantiated. I know this from personal experience. BUT, if they get unsubstantiated complaints from a known person repeatedly they can threaten and actually charge that person with filing a false complaint. This I also know from personal experience - as I made them do it.

It sucks but this is just one more reason to make sure you are following the law to the T if you have kids. Perhaps CPS should be added to the rules as having the ability to verify status and be made to stop investigating someone for MMJ use/growing if a valid card is found (just like the cops). And while we're at it, perhaps we need to educate teachers/counselors that MJ use in the home does not constitute a mandated reporting situation.

On a side note - we need to work on the fees to get certified by a doctor. They are outrageous and uncalled for. Patients who have insurance should be able to have that doctor visit covered as any other. Patients that don't shouldn't have to pay more for a cert visit than they would for a regular doctor visit. I think even the cheap visits ($100) are too much and are causing many patients to not get certified because they can't afford it - forcing them to hope they fall under the AD clause. Sometimes I think that even our specialty MJ doctors take advantage of the situation of us needing to ensure we get certified. I know that's not a popular thing to say but I believe it's true. I hear their side of it but they do have a captive patient base and they are not just in business out of compassion alone.

I appreciate the comments covering both sides of the issue here. What sets me off is the plain simple fact that we have had public service announcements for everything from don't text and drive to get viagra for your ED. Not one time have I watched or read a PSA on Medical Marijuana. I work in government and believe me this is still a very hush hush subject unless you are of the opinion that MM is a bad thing.We can't claim ignorance it just won't stand up whether its to CPS, LEO or a judge. It really sets me off to see so many people who are LEGALLY having their lives turned upside down over the LEGAL use of MM.How many public service announcements did you see at election time supporting the use of MM but it passed by a good margin. Yet we see over and over just how many people don't even know the law passed or if they know they have never been given a copy of the law. Teachers are doing manditory classes to teach our children to say no and ask if they have seen any of 'these' in your home or do mommy and daddy.....yes I do understand some cases desperately need to be investigated but for gods sake someone who is sick or in pain and LEGAL. Give us a break!Ignorance on all their parts is no excuse and furthermore how did it become our responsibility to be the ones who go out to educate those who need to be? The television stations won't even touch the subject or hardly make comments let alone run a PSA. A man was fired from a job he loved because he legally uses MM from Walmarts. There have been very few supporting stories....mostly bad stories about the ones who are busted for being illegal.How long will it take before these people are educated? What will it take?

Guest CaveatLector

The A.D.Does Protect this Person.

If they are a qualifying patient then, yes, the AD will protect. However, the AD protects from conviction NOT investigation. That is the point! Without the card the CPS worker is entitled, and SHOULD, investigate further.

Guest CaveatLector

Why would you say that? Because only a social worker or a cop has sense in their head?

Your guess, by the way, couldn't be more off.

I'm simply someone who thinks that children should be protected. Basically what everyone is saying is that it's marijuana so CPS should turn a blind eye regardless of the legality of the alleged grow. Wake the F up. What if it were an illegal operation and the grower was selling to every tom/dick/harry that showed up at the door? You think that is a safe environment for children to live in? Probably is--because I would bet that those buyers would all be benevolent MM patients right? Employ some logic here....

Tell me about it! These workers are sooo arrogant… Day after day, they get away with misleading the courts into believing that children (usually poor) need to be under the courts jurisdiction. They (CPS/DHS) methodically move forward with these investigations on baseless, unsubstantiated allegations-hurting the same children they exist to protect. It is so contradicting! Who the hell do they think they are? Its sickening! If you act as if you are strong and stand up for what you believe, these workers can turn your life upside down-and get away with it. I feel so bad for these kids. Humans will be humans. How long will we allow them to police themselves? We need to scream at law makers-and directors. (Of DHS)

Archived