Will A 400W Mh Work In A Bud Roomwith A 400W Hps

stonecrowe316

hey man!!

sorry if i am barging in here, but i saw the question and i have played around with mixing MH/HPS for awhile and this is what i found. during the flower period, some MH light seems to be beneficial, but only SOME. a 400w HPS with a 400w MH is not a good mix. 50% metal halide light tends to make for more airy and lighter buds. at least in my personal experience. you def. wanna have a higher percentage of HPS light on them.

hps is gonna help pack the punch with the density of the buds the orange spectrum emited by it mimics the sun in late fall. the metal halide will help the trichome production on the buds.... run both!! A dual spectrum will produce the highest quality of marijuana.... this is what i do and i have DANK!

hps is gonna help pack the punch with the density of the buds the orange spectrum emited by it mimics the sun in late fall. the metal halide will help the trichome production on the buds.... run both!! A dual spectrum will produce the highest quality of marijuana.... this is what i do and i have DANK!

paint ballin im with you! use it!

I like the CMH I have not used them solo for flower but in a mixed spectrum with HPS and the crystal production and lush growth is %100 noticable compared to plants that didn't get the CMH.

You need a standard non digital ballast to use them and the biggest they come in is 400w. The kicker is they are about $50 bucs everywhere online.

just my 2 cents merry growing.

OH yeah you have to use them in a open rated fixture or else you will lose all your UV through the glass.

Full spectrum is a much better way to go. If you don't end up sticking with it you can always veg seperate from bud, MH will always be a much better veg lamp and HPS will always be much better for budding. However I've ran both in the same room with great results. MH is closer the UV spectrum so it does help greatly with trichrome development, you could also get a UV lamp and add to the bud room, but don't go in there when its running due to radiation it puts off. If its a good deal you might as well snatch it up and worst case you could sell it to somebody in need for a good deal!

But my honest recommendation is run all 800w, I don't bud under less then 1000w, my normal setup was a Veg room w/ 600w MH lamp, 2 4' T5 lamps running vertically up the walls @ 6800k spectrum. My flowering room was a 1000w HPS w/ 6 4' T5 lamps running 1 6800k bulb and 1 3000k bulb to add that extra bit of blue spectrum in as well a 3000k to offset it and keep things heavy on the redder spectrum.

When I started growing I had a 400w hps and a MH Conversion bulb, and would just swap them when I switched all my plants over to flowering. 400w is a great bulb especially if heat or energy costs are a concern, however you will notice that you never get overly dense buds, I've had similer buds come from a 600w MH as a 400w HPS, while the HPS is going to be more dense at such a low wattage you don't have to worry about the MH taking away from any of that, if anything the additional light will help the buds mass, while they may not be more dense I doubt they'll be less dense due to the MH addition. Also as I stated, you could always set up a 2 room system, 1 veg 1 flower. It will allow for a year round mother plant along with a much quicker veg stage being under that spectrum.

add that light i did and i am really pleased with the outcome,im running a 360 converstion bulb, plantmax and a 400 mh bulb it seems to be working great.i just found a bunch of them 400 watt industreial lamps work real good for like 20 bucks apop. can't beat it the guys got a pole barn full of them all for 20 bucks with working bulbs.some guys i seen even seperated them like hydrofarm,quantum,look and work real good i got 400 for like 60 bucks all together. craigslist didnt want to get off original post but hey you want a good 400 craigslist g.r go under growlights for sale.just trying to help out any other grower.because did you see the price of gas.

Just following up on Arslan here, and I know it's off topic, but I love my CMH setup (CMH= Ceramic Metal Halide, runs from a HPS ballast and puts out a decent spectrum and low heat).

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=72215

I was going to tell you I'm not using mine anymore since I upgraded to 2k HPS, but I think I'll keep it around for a veg/clone space.

Archived