How Do You Cool Your Grow Room?

Kingdiamond

Well the weathers getting warmer and so is my grow room with temps rising to 84-86 degrees in my flower box .

Room size is 11x12x8 the flower box is 5x5x8

Equipment i currently run is a digital greenhouse 1000 watt hps / mh with a aircooled hood being kept cool with a 442 cfm inline fan drawing air from the outside and expelling it into the laundry room next to that intake i have just a 6 inch flex tube and a converted table fan drawing cool air outside of the flower box in my vegetation area .

I was thinking of first reversing the airflow of the inline to draw inside air from the basement through the lamp then outside and then get another inline to exchange the room air from the vegetation area outside to see if i can get ahold of my heat issues that way because my basement stays fairly cool during the hot months.

How does everyone else deal with the hot months any ideas ?

Co2 would make those high temps into an asset. It might get crazy in July, though. Air conditioner + Co2?

We run the inside air when its 85 or higher so im hoping i can utilize the inside air but i also went looking at some portable air conditioners they aernt very cheap. :blink:

Id have to do some work to get the room airtight to add co2 and thats just a lot of money i currently dont have so 1 step at a time i guess. :mellow:

a portable AC is the way to go in a semi-sealed room...... just extend the air intake hose to some good air in the house, or even fresh air from outside.

but depending on your normal summer cooling habits, i have actually just extended one of the floor vents from my central air right into the "tent" as well. the only issue with this is exhaust. it can be a little tough to regulate the amount of air going in, and obviously if the tent is sealed, and the air coming in is twice the volume of the air going out, your tent becomes a balloon.....

but with a little time and practice, and playing around with the other vents in the house (closing some half way, or all the way in rooms nobody uses often) i got it dialed in pretty well.

Well the weathers getting warmer and so is my grow room with temps rising to 84-86 degrees in my flower box .

Room size is 11x12x8 the flower box is 5x5x8

Equipment i currently run is a digital greenhouse 1000 watt hps / mh with a aircooled hood being kept cool with a 442 cfm inline fan drawing air from the outside and expelling it into the laundry room next to that intake i have just a 6 inch flex tube and a converted table fan drawing cool air outside of the flower box in my vegetation area .

I was thinking of first reversing the airflow of the inline to draw inside air from the basement through the lamp then outside and then get another inline to exchange the room air from the vegetation area outside to see if i can get ahold of my heat issues that way because my basement stays fairly cool during the hot months.

How does everyone else deal with the hot months any ideas ?

I run the same 1000 watt system with a open reflector. You think you got heat issues? LOL

Just went into flower too with a 150,000 lumen bulb. I hit 90 degrees last night. Not good. Disconnected my fan(400 cfm)that was pulling hot air out(not well obviously though with an open reflector)and hooked it up to blow cool air in from under the house. Temps went immediately to 78-79 degrees, but it's humid out too and my humidity rose to almost 60% which I do NOT want. I'm happier with low humidity(30-40%).

It's a daily challenge for me.....ugh..... :angry:

Are you pulling that air thru the hood or pushing? I was going to buy a closed air cooled reflector but I'm not going to waste my money if it's not going to help. I was going to pull the air out of the hood and out under my house. Not quite sure how to set up the other end of the hood though. I have one fresh air opening to work with. Other than that, the rest of the house has to be used. Agh....

That a/c unit is the cats donkey, but not a very cost effective alternative for the average person growing their own medicine. Your already out the grow room cost and the rise in electricty. Pricey unit(but darn nice)and pricey electric bills to go with it.

I would love to be able to add that machine to my grow room but no money means im stuck playing marijuana magyver as for your earlier question i push air from the outside through the hood then out the other side of the grow room wall .

I would love to be able to add that machine to my grow room but no money means im stuck playing marijuana magyver as for your earlier question i push air from the outside through the hood then out the other side of the grow room wall .

Try pulling the air out. I've always been told to pull, not push. Obviously I'm no expert though, lol.

Marijuana Magyver...good one. That about sums it up for me too. LOL

BTW, nice SRV strat bro.

Try pulling the air out. I've always been told to pull, not push. Obviously I'm no expert though, lol.

Marijuana Magyver...good one. That about sums it up for me too. LOL

BTW, nice SRV strat bro.

I was told by a grow guru that he burned up 3 inline fans pulling heat through the fans internal workings something about cooking the bearings ?

Yes thanks that was a SRV custom a guy from perth australia contracted me to build i started with a tobacco flamed fender custom shop licensed strat body all gold screws and hardware floyd rose trem kent armstrong custom fat 50s single coils. ;)

Strange thing about that sale i had to ship the guitar in pieces to avoid a markup on musical equipment through aus customs ! <_<

My 424cfm works fine on a 1000. Pulling it is the right way.

Ok now im pulling air through the hood and from my laundry room then exiting it outside so far the temps look to be going even higher! :blink:

As much as i hate to admit it i might have to sell something to get one of those portable ac units. :(

Ok now im pulling air through the hood and from my laundry room then exiting it outside so far the temps look to be going even higher! :blink:

As much as i hate to admit it i might have to sell something to get one of those portable ac units. :(

How far away from the hood is the fan? The closer the better obviously. The least amount of bends in your ducting as well for max air flow.

I'm sitting at about 84 degrees with 55% humidity as of right now. Obviously it's cooler out right now, but I'm thinkin' a/c soon as well. :angry:

Also, what reflector are you using exactly?

How far away from the hood is the fan? The closer the better obviously. The least amount of bends in your ducting as well for max air flow.

I'm sitting at about 84 degrees with 55% humidity as of right now. Obviously it's cooler out right now, but I'm thinkin' a/c soon as well. :angry:

Also, what reflector are you using exactly?

Easy cool 6 with about 10-15 inches of flex pipe run inline with a sligtht upper bend on the exit to the window fans w-f-o too its sitting at 83 with the grow room door propped open my neighbor is in the process of putting together an idea to use a window ac unit in a 7 inch tall window space with a added double window fan to draw and give the ac unit assist in venting outside.

Easy cool 6 with about 10-15 inches of flex pipe run inline with a sligtht upper bend on the exit to the window fans w-f-o too its sitting at 83 with the grow room door propped open my neighbor is in the process of putting together an idea to use a window ac unit in a 7 inch tall window space with a added double window fan to draw and give the ac unit assist in venting outside.

darn, you'd think that setup would be ok. Makes me wonder if I should bother buying a air cooled reflector now. Maybe the insulated ducting would help? I dunno...

It's nice to have a friendly neighbor! I bet the a/c will fix your issues.

darn, you'd think that setup would be ok. Makes me wonder if I should bother buying a air cooled reflector now. Maybe the insulated ducting would help? I dunno...

It's nice to have a friendly neighbor! I bet the a/c will fix your issues.

While heat contiues to be a problom you can bring the hood down practicly within 10 inches with no burn for that reason and that reason alone its worth having once i tackle this issue it should be just about perfect year round.

The window air conversion would involve cutting of floor joists im not too keen on that so now im off to do some shopping on ebay.

Remember the unit isn't just an air conditioner, also controls humidity and provides heat if we get a real nasty winter.

The smart thing to do is watch for it at ABC or similar stores, I have noticed at the end of summer or when new designs are released they clearance them out. (actually saw one for 149.00 last fall)

I have noticed that there are several brands on the market now with options of just air conditioning or A/C with the heater, humidifier, air purifier and fan. I liked the portable most of all because of limited space in my grow room.

Archived