Breaking News From Msp

This is a emil I received today. You too can join this group for information updates.

you received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Michigan Medical Cannabis Updates"

On May 26, 2010

Yesterday CPU principals had a meeting with two Michigan State Police officers from the Legislative Liaison Executive Resource Section. It was a productive meeting.

We feel it important that we give some of the most current and very important news of this meeting out to other people in the medical cannabis community.

The officers we met with were both attorneys, and were very familiar with the law. They stated very clearly that in the eyes of the Michigan State Police, patient to patient transfers are illegal.

Additionally, they advised us that in the eyes of the Michigan State Police, dispensaries are illegal. They advised us that investigations are already under way taking a look at the dispensaries that are already open.

They left very little doubt in our minds that they were stating these things in earnest.

While this is a conservative view of the law, people should realize the officers were forthcoming with this information. CPU urges patients and caregivers and anyone involved in a dispensary or compassionate care center to be aware of this information and take care to stay within the law.

Program Status Update (5/21/2010): Application Forms and Instructions are available for printing from this website.

Program Statistics:

31,543 original and renewal applications received since April 6, 2009.

16,442 patient registrations issued.

7,141 caregiver registrations issued.

4,415 applications denied -- most due to incomplete application or missing documentation.

Applications are reviewed within 15 days of receipt. Incomplete applications are denied and applicants are then notified of denial by certified and regular mail.

Complete applications, change forms and reapplications for previous denials are then processed in the date order in which they are received. If a denial letter is not received, then the application is deemed valid. The statute currently allows for a copy of the application submitted to serve as a valid registry identification if the card is not issued within 20 days of its submission to the department. At this time, we are unable to issue valid registry identification cards within the statutory time frame with the resources available to us. Currently staff is issuing registry identification cards for valid applications received at the end of January. We continue to review and revise our processing methods in order to more efficiently process and issue the valid registry cards.

The staff is diligently working to process the applications and is having difficulty responding to all the voicemails left on the Medical Marihuana Registry phone line. We appreciate your patience and ask that applicants refrain from calling to inquire about the status of the application unless your application was submitted prior to early January.

The following information added by John Wells

"then the application is deemed valid"

Please note the MSP will NOT accept paperwork as valid.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse the ignorance...CPU stands for what?

And did the MSP provide any reasoning behind their stance that paperwork is not accepted as valid? This seems to directly contradict what is stated in the law and administrative rules. I can accept that they will interpret the law very conservatively, but how can they state that simply won't follow the law? That statement seems in direct violation of the law...

well ..

thanks for posting a link.

A grand total of 44 members. And that includes me from just a few moments ago.

This is supposed to provide a method of communication between us and them???????

unity UNITY UNITY. There are over 20,000 patients / cg's in MI We need more people involved. Unite now or the outcome may be grim.And I am not saying anything bad about this cpu thing, just saying we need more of a voice.

Thanks for the post. I'll get this up on our website.With as maney dispencs that are trying to open up I figured LEO would try to put there foot down.Not sure if they'll be able to legally but we'll see.Our talk with our prosecutor the other week went about the same way. We've never allowed meds at any of our club meets as there always open to the public and I'm not to fond on gray areas so no exchanges, no meds.. Just info, rest should be done in private.

This really should be coming from Cox, but as always he's hiding under the desk and each county is doing crap diffrently. Couple answers to our questions could have saved them on investagations in the first place. More tax dollar completely wasted....................................

Excuse the ignorance...CPU stands for what?

And did the MSP provide any reasoning behind their stance that paperwork is not accepted as valid? This seems to directly contradict what is stated in the law and administrative rules. I can accept that they will interpret the law very conservatively, but how can they state that simply won't follow the law? That statement seems in direct violation of the law...

No they said it was valid

unity UNITY UNITY. There are over 20,000 patients / cg's in MI We need more people involved. Unite now or the outcome may be grim.And I am not saying anything bad about this cpu thing, just saying we need more of a voice.

Yeah 20,000 and we had what 200 at the protest ????

well ..

thanks for posting a link.

A grand total of 44 members. And that includes me from just a few moments ago.

This is supposed to provide a method of communication between us and them???????

Nope, its a email list to communicate between US, not Us and them. There is no them besides regular channels.

"then the application is deemed valid"

Please note the MSP will NOT accept paperwork as valid.

This was not included in the original email and is an addition by someone else.

To discuss the Cannabis Patients United you should head over to michigancannabispatients.com and see announcements.

Nope, its a email list to communicate between US, not Us and them. There is no them besides regular channels.

This was not included in the original email and is an addition by someone else.

To discuss the Cannabis Patients United you should head over to michigancannabispatients.com and see announcements.

Todd is 100% correct and I added the last statement per my talks with MSP LLO. I was told they will NOT take the paperwork because all checks and MO's get cashed when they come in. JJohn Wells

Guest Wayne

"This really should be coming from Cox, but as always he's hiding under the desk and each county is doing crap diffrently. Couple answers to our questions could have saved them on investagations in the first place. More tax dollar completely wasted.................................... "

KRUZTY

Under his desk? Try something like this:

News story

October 15, 2010

Attorney General Mike Cox, candidate for Michigan Governor is pleased to announce that his office in cooperation with the Michigan State Police Narcotics Unit has made statewide arrests of medical marijuana dispensary operators. "My main concern is for the children of Michigan" Stated Mr. Cox. "Michigan's medical marijuana law has absolutely no provisions for large scale distribution of marijuana and I believe the majority of Michigan voters who supported this law would agree." Mr. Cox informed this reporter he has met with both government and civic leaders statewide and these organizations support his actions. Etc, etc.

It's just the state guys here in my neck of the woods that are giving us crap over dispensaries. As far as local down here they can't wait for dispensaries. There are a few who want to open their own and partner with me. The leo down here wants marijuana legalized completely because it would bust up the underground market of illegal dealers and free the leo up for more serious crimes. That was an exact quote! My friend [leo] already warned me not to open a dispensary in my community under any circumstances right now. I figured I would have an easier time being a local politician in my community getting around all the red tape, zoning laws, planning commission etc., but my friend said wait, the law will change soon. If I get busted now I won't be able to follow my dream's of helping those in my area.

Dizz

Yeah 20,000 and we had what 200 at the protest ????

I've talked to a couple of hundred potential patients, and probably a hundred card holding patients since becoming a CG, and I can tell you that hardly any of them are aware of MMMA, or any other pro-mmj group.

I've talked to a couple of hundred potential patients, and probably a hundred card holding patients since becoming a CG, and I can tell you that hardly any of them are aware of MMMA, or any other pro-mmj group.

That MUST change and soon

Guest hayduke

PB, the 44 person group to which you refer is not Cannabis Patients United (CPU). It is John Wells email list that started under 3Med, and it often has good information. We have total respect for John but he is not a member of CPU.

It was indeed your coming up with the MSP bulletin that started the ball rolling on the potential of issuing a pin so law enforcement can identify legitimate patients. The MSP have taken heart, and with CPU's encouragement, PB's suggestion from quite a while ago is seemingly coming near fruition.

LansingAreaCaregiver: The MSP presently do NOT recognize the 21 day wait, and then legal. That was the gist of the bulletin PB originally came across. The MSP has pushed of late to adopt a program very much like PB originally suggested. The reason they do not recognize the 21 day rule, is because everyone gets their check cashed... people who are approved to be a patient and ones who are not approved to become patients. The MSP position is to let the judge sort it out. They fear people will be denied the right to become a patient, and still carry their original paperwork, which the MSP cannot confirm without a card number, and it may allow them to avoid arrest when actually the MSP would like to arrest them.

By issuing a pin number prior to the issuance of your card, the MSP or local police could find out through LIEN that you are a legit patient who has not yet been issued your card with your permanent number for the year.

In light of the fact that the new employee's have yet to arrive, the fate of privatization of the issuance of cards and renewals has not been firmed up, and in light of the fact the new high speed printers have not arrived, it seems prudent to push for a way to help patients stop being arrested for not having yet received their cards.

I for one do not accept HC's suggestion that this is wasted energy as the battle has been won. I hope HC is correct. I do not believe it this time that hope should replace practical efforts to save our peers from arrest due to issues beyond their control.

PB, the 44 person group to which you refer is not Cannabis Patients United (CPU). It is John Wells email list that started under 3Med, and it often has good information. We have total respect for John but he is not a member of CPU.

It was indeed your coming up with the MSP bulletin that started the ball rolling on the potential of issuing a pin so law enforcement can identify legitimate patients. The MSP have taken heart, and with CPU's encouragement, PB's suggestion from quite a while ago is seemingly coming near fruition.

LansingAreaCaregiver: The MSP presently do NOT recognize the 21 day wait, and then legal. That was the gist of the bulletin PB originally came across. The MSP has pushed of late to adopt a program very much like PB originally suggested. The reason they do not recognize the 21 day rule, is because everyone gets their check cashed... people who are approved to be a patient and ones who are not approved to become patients. The MSP position is to let the judge sort it out. They fear people will be denied the right to become a patient, and still carry their original paperwork, which the MSP cannot confirm without a card number, and it may allow them to avoid arrest when actually the MSP would like to arrest them.

By issuing a pin number prior to the issuance of your card, the MSP or local police could find out through LIEN that you are a legit patient who has not yet been issued your card with your permanent number for the year.

In light of the fact that the new employee's have yet to arrive, the fate of privatization of the issuance of cards and renewals has not been firmed up, and in light of the fact the new high speed printers have not arrived, it seems prudent to push for a way to help patients stop being arrested for not having yet received their cards.

I for one do not accept HC's suggestion that this is wasted energy as the battle has been won. I hope HC is correct. I do not believe it this time that hope should replace practical efforts to save our peers from arrest due to issues beyond their control.

Correct

To help clear this up

This is a link to a news group that Todd set up to help us all stay informed:

http://groups.google.com/group/michigan-medical-cannabis-updates?hl=en

I was just sending mass emails but this is a better system (thanks Todd). Everyone should use this to be informed. It is NOT the CPU.

The CPU is a group that has paid memberships. I am NOT a part of the CPU. I receive information from them ...from time to time and I pass it along.

I hope this clears it up. John

I hope I am right also Hayduke

The privatization for the program was talked about with Rep Cushingberry and the MDCH had 2 informal bids from companies that expressed interest in doing the job. Both came in over the income of the program itself. That is when the meeting went to getting the bids in on the new printers and in a timely manner.

Is there a link to read up on CPU?

Archived