The Effect Of Corporate Grows On Caregivers

bcainw

The pace of change in the area of home growing is occurring almost too fast to cover: both in Michigan as well as other states. In Monroe they are talking about a large grow facility that will have grow spaces available to caregivers. In my opinion this is bad news for home growers as the incentive for city and country governments will be to highly regulate and control cultivation. I fear this will lead to laws completely prohibiting home cultivation in order to exactly monitor what is being grown. Personally I believe that all adults should simply be able to grow whatever they want without taxation or regulation. But I am wondering what other caregivers think about these fast paced changes. A local grow shop informed me that similar operations are "cropping" up in other cities as well.

Here is the link to the article about the Monroe grow:

Michigan: Massive medical marijuana factory?

I've also been informed, from a local caregiver organization, that millionaires from CA have been establishing dialogue to push their "McDonald" franchises into Michigan. It is my opinion that their interests will be to push home growing out of existence. What is your opinion?

I love the guy who lives across the street. they need to stop wasting money on a never ending battle!

Right on. But what do you think the effect of these corporate grows could have on home growers. Will home growers be forced out of business?

Well that, as the video put it, "dope house" would be operated by caregivers. Each Caregiver can grow up to, for themselves and there patients, 72 plants per room. There will be so many rooms, all rooms would be under lock and key and could only be gotten into by the CG/patient. Altho a collective like this would be a good thing, I think the scale of it is way to big. As I dont know everything about what this guy from Florida is trying to do, beside what I read, witch is never the whole story. The way I take it, is that he is trying to supply a building for caregivers to grow in. It did say something about a dispensary type thing but I think that was mis-information.

If it gets into corporate hands we're screwed, how will patients know the quality they're getting and if they're concerned about pesticides how will they know, I know what my future cg uses but a big operation won't be as forthcoming and will say they don't need to disclose that information, and will even lie about what's in it, I saw something about metal shavings in meds somewhere around here, I guess they did it to make the weight be more than it really was, I don't remember if they had an excuse. anyway... a big grow operation needs to be well regulated for the safety of the patients. Oh boy this is scary and big money getting into it and big money from another state, that's what ruins everything.. It's like the big chain stores taking away from the little "mom and pop" stores but at least some are still open, if big growers are allowed I hope it doesn't take away the option of the home grower. I am so tired of fighting one war after another, too many battles, too many wars. I can't believe this could be allowed. Geesh I'm not even a patient yet I'm still debating with myself on applying or not.

Sb :(

If it gets into corporate hands we're screwed, how will patients know the quality they're getting and if they're concerned about pesticides how will they know, I know what my future cg uses but a big operation won't be as forthcoming and will say they don't need to disclose that information, and will even lie about what's in it, I saw something about metal shavings in meds somewhere around here, I guess they did it to make the weight be more than it really was, I don't remember if they had an excuse. anyway... a big grow operation needs to be well regulated for the safety of the patients. Oh boy this is scary and big money getting into it and big money from another state, that's what ruins everything.. It's like the big chain stores taking away from the little "mom and pop" stores but at least some are still open, if big growers are allowed I hope it doesn't take away the option of the home grower. I am so tired of fighting one war after another, too many battles, too many wars. I can't believe this could be allowed. Geesh I'm not even a patient yet I'm still debating with myself on applying or not.

Sb :(

Agreed, if it goes corporate then yes, we are screwed. But the video OP posted said that each room would be taken care of by a different CG. So there would still be CG. Just they would be in a safer location, but would have to pay to use the building and other stuff. I really dont think that the guy from florida is trying to grow 24,000 plants by himself or with little help...to be legal, he could not do more than 1 room... But think of it, IF this did happen, think of how many different strains being grown under one roof. That coupled with the HOPE that there would be some kind of standard there, or min. requirement for growing medium, pesticides and such. Plus with as many CG as there would be there, if someone had a problem then they could get help quick. I think if you build an engine right, then it will work with no problems, but if one thing is out of place, well your gunna blow your engine.

zombiefryd, hi, thanks for responding to my post. I think we need to keep a close eye on this and similar situations, proposals, anything related to this.

Sb

Agreed. This is why I love this site, full of different opinions, lots of different input, lots of great people. I dont think I would know half of what I do without this site...lol

I do agree, if Florida guy wants to come in here, start up a Mega-dispencery, then he can get Cannabis legal in Florida, as we dont want that here. But if he wants to help CG have a building to grow in for a certin amout (reasonable of course) then I dont see too much of a problem, if its ran how it should be, for the PEOPLE, by the PEOPLE!

I think the larger concern is this. Cities will want to maximize revenue which means they will have a vested interest in putting home growers out of business as they can't really be as closely monitored as those in these large facilities. Attorneys for this Florida "greedster" will start communication with local officials to argue that only "taxed and regulated" facilities can insure that the cities get ALL of the tax revenue. Not to long after that it will be good bye home cultivation. I have been in close contact with Donna Lambert down in San Diego and they are seeing exactly this sort of thing going on NOW. What is the expression: As goes CA, so goes the country.

This is why I have been arguing for "untaxed, unregulated, unlimited" self cultivation under the rubric of the MERP Model. I encourage all activist to take the time to read these articles and view the videos in order to get an insiders perspective on what is REALLY going on here. I don't care if you agree with everything I write but I can assure you that you will learn things in reading these articles that you will not learn anywhere else. I'm actually surprised that MMMA and other have not yet raised awareness of what is going on in Monroe and other Michigan cities.

Here's the link:

http://www.newagecitizen.com/MERP.htm

And, just for laughs, here is my latest composition: "The Obongo Song." No I don't expect a Grammy for this. LOL.

Finally, consider signing the petition linked in the comments of the video. Let's make Marijuana Legal Nationwide in 2010.

The pace of change in the area of home growing is occurring almost too fast to cover: both in Michigan as well as other states. In Monroe they are talking about a large grow facility that will have grow spaces available to caregivers. In my opinion this is bad news for home growers as the incentive for city and country governments will be to highly regulate and control cultivation. I fear this will lead to laws completely prohibiting home cultivation in order to exactly monitor what is being grown. Personally I believe that all adults should simply be able to grow whatever they want without taxation or regulation. But I am wondering what other caregivers think about these fast paced changes. A local grow shop informed me that similar operations are "cropping" up in other cities as well.

I've also been informed, from a local caregiver organization, that millionaires from CA have been establishing dialogue to push their "McDonald" franchises into Michigan. It is my opinion that their interests will be to push home growing out of existence. What is your opinion?

[/quo

do you mean like New Jersey

<LI>Can patients grow their own marijuana?

No. Patients will not be permitted to grow their own marijuana.

I am also cobbling together a MERP2 which will address my recommendations for commercial growing. I would want to favor home growing and prohibit these large operations. But more importantly MERP2 will build on the original MERP. And I think the result will be normal profits for home growers and protection against this corporate whores that are trying to carpet bag into this state and remove some of the only job opportunities currently available to Michigan workers.

Carpe Diem

Yours in Peace and Freedom,

Bruce W. Cain

[/quo

do you mean like New Jersey

<LI>Can patients grow their own marijuana?

No. Patients will not be permitted to grow their own marijuana.

Yes this is the trend. Also look at MPP's Arizona Initiative where you won't be able to grow UNLESS you live more than 25 miles from a dispensary. MPP's Kampia should be tarred and feathered for that alone. There is no doubt that "big money" is lurking around every corner of Marijuana "reform." The only real solution is outlined in my MERP articles. Here is a good overview of the MERP Strategy:

Petition for the Immediate Re-Legalization of Marijuana by implementing MERP through a Special Joint Session of Congress

http://www.newagecitizen.com/MERP/RelegalizeNowObama29.htm

:(I shouldn't be surprised at all this. The incentive of big profit is ruining everything, not just MM. It's this greed that's infested this whole planet, taking away any glimmer of hope that there could be something the PEOPLE would have control over. All my life I've seen it, the heavy handed controllers who'll do anything to get it and keep it, destroying everything and everyone in their way. I hope they all fry in hell.

Sb

A warehouse full of caregivers, each growing up to 72 plants. Hundreds of different genetics. One careless guy lets a male mature. Oops!

A warehouse/greenhouse filled with thousands of clones at every stage of development carefully tended by a handful of skilled laborers. Quality control and a super clean environment. Good medicine available at every corner gas station, priced at a rate slightly higher than cigarettes (takes more energy to grow in a controlled environment than out in tobacco fields). Woohoo!

Think of all the beer drinkers you know. What percentage of them brew their own? A person can legally brew their own beer and generally get a better product with a little practice. Economically, a home brewer can brew for about the same price as a well made craft brewed beer. Yet a handful of big brew companies make most of the beer consumed in this country. Their product is swill compared to the better (and more expensive) product produced by craft brewers and some home brewers. In the end the cheap mass produced stuff is what people drink because it gives them the result they are seeking with the least effort on their part.

I don't think that massed produced marijuana will kill the home grow operations because their are always going to be a small percentage of people who take pride in producing for themselves and prefer a better quality than is available on the market. All that we need to do is to make sure that large industry does not maneuver to outlaw home production.

I think that legalization will shake out into a handful of huge companies producing a product which satisfies the masses, a group of smaller operations meeting the higher quality niche and a few people who grow frro the pride of producing their own and experimenting with genetics to increase quality.

Of those who currently grow, how many are just buying seeds and sticking them in grow medium compared to the very small percent who are doing all the work needed to create new stable strains or breeding for certain traits?

I think there is a place in the market for each type of grow operation except the moving dozens of growers into a collective operation where so many efforts are duplicated inefficiently.

Archived