No Bee's Please:

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

Man I am having one huge pain in the rear with yellow jackets. Maybe someone here has an idea I've not found on the internet and failed at before I have to call in professional help.

Here's the deal:

They have made their home in my cinder block foundation. I know, any little holes found in the mortar should of been sealed but it's to late. I've tried about 4 kinds of sprays and two different powders for bees including delta dust (which always worked for me when I'd find a nest in the ground).

Plugging the holes now will only make them search for another way out which could eventually lead to getting into the basement. So ridding myself of the problem prior to patching is paramount.

If anyone has had this problem and was successful I'm all ears. I'm just at the end of my rope with these buggers.

Best

• 3 weeks later...

A company called Dadant makes products used to make honeybees leave parts of the hive for honey harvest. Bee Go and Bee Quick. Both are very inexpensive. Call 877-932-3268 and ask if it works for other bees. Explain your problem and I bet they solve it.

Guest finallyfree09

A company called Dadant makes products used to make honeybees leave parts of the hive for honey harvest. Bee Go and Bee Quick. Both are very inexpensive. Call 877-932-3268 and ask if it works for other bees. Explain your problem and I bet they solve it.

do they have a store in st johns or somewhere close to there? i helped my dad raise bees when i was a kid and i remember going down there for some stuff. they had ALL KINDS of stuff at their store. that was 20 years ago though so who knows if the place is still there.

I had a infestation so bad in my front porch cinder blocks that you could no longer use my front door without being stung so i went to home depot and bought a spray thats called winged insect spray its a fuel oil based spray that drops them on contact disabling them until the poison sets in . :thumbsd:

It got rid of well over a 100 bees in one day just have a dust pan and broom handy. :thumbsu:

Guest finallyfree09

Man I am having one huge pain in the rear with yellow jackets. Maybe someone here has an idea I've not found on the internet and failed at before I have to call in professional help.

Here's the deal:

They have made their home in my cinder block foundation. I know, any little holes found in the mortar should of been sealed but it's to late. I've tried about 4 kinds of sprays and two different powders for bees including delta dust (which always worked for me when I'd find a nest in the ground).

Plugging the holes now will only make them search for another way out which could eventually lead to getting into the basement. So ridding myself of the problem prior to patching is paramount.

If anyone has had this problem and was successful I'm all ears. I'm just at the end of my rope with these buggers.

Best

i'd call dadant. buy a beesuit (get no less than 2 pairs of the arm length gloves, youll be glad you did) get a whole lotta raid, like a case, go out there and givem all you've got. they are gonna be royally ROYALLY p*ssed off so make sure there isn't a living soul within 200 yds! :lol:

i'd take the extra precautionary measure of wearing a longsleeved shirt UNDERNEATH the beesuit as well. make sure all the clothes you are wearing are made of plant fibers (cotton, silk, HEMP :P ) as any animal fibers (fur, leather) will set them off. animals are a natural threat to bees so it stands to reason that if you get too close to a beehive, and they smell you, you are probably going to get nailed. also make sure all clothing is white or light in color... dark colors are also a threat.

good luck and god speed!

do they have a store in st johns or somewhere close to there? i helped my dad raise bees when i was a kid and i remember going down there for some stuff. they had ALL KINDS of stuff at their store. that was 20 years ago though so who knows if the place is still there.

Not that I know of in St. Johns. Had to drive to ALbion, but they do mail order too.

Be careful with this stuff. Its butaric acid and it smells terrible. I don't just mean a little stinky...I mean the worse stuff you've ever smelled. It works but it is made from rotten butter so use with caution and wear gloves. I think Dadant's only MI store is in Albion but any beekeeping supply website will have it.

The Yellow Jackets are the worst, meanest, most hornarary insect in Michigan. Here's my routine, first I live in an ecological zone (a swamp) so I found this stuff by Victor I think. Found it at Meijers. Its non Toxic so you can use as much as you want. Whatever kind you use though, get 'Wasp and Hornet Spray'. This has a single thick stream that shoots a good ways, however it's best to get up close, bee careful though.

The best time is just before dusk, really the only time as they will all bee home. Get a good bead on em and spray continously till they all have some on them. Keep a third eye out for straglers and escapees. Then leave them bee till dawn. During your recon, the following morning, bring your spray and finish off the survivors. That will be the end of that nest, however the rest of them will relocate close by. They like your area, for whatever reason. Take precautions that they won't come back in the house. Good Luck!

PS the bees are cool though and essential for our survival. Im much more partial to them, just show them the door, as they have a Job to do. Kinda like us.

Have you tried smoking them out? All bees/wasps/hornets to my knowledge HATE smoke, if there is any way you can fog it for a few hours that will take care of them, then seal it up :D That is my suggestion.

did someone say smokeout?

combo-smokeout.jpg

but we have to wear these right? on sale for $125!!

check it out.......... dude made a pipe out of a coffee can......... he ready to smoke!!

Protective%20Suit%20219.jpg

Have you tried smoking them out? All bees/wasps/hornets to my knowledge HATE smoke, if there is any way you can fog it for a few hours that will take care of them, then seal it up :D That is my suggestion.

Bees don't hate smoke, they are calmed by it. It makes the alarm pheromones given off by the queen and guard bees undetectable and so they are more unlikely to sting. This is why beekeepers smoke the hive before opening it and pulling the frames. Smoking the nest will only make them calmly buzz away. If you want them to leave the area so you can seal it up, the bee go mentioned above is your best bet. That foam insulation in a can is a great product for sealing any entrances.

Guest Marywanna

Go buy some pyrinthium spray,it's made out of chrysanthamums and will paralyze them fast. Pretty safe to use,do it at dusk or you are gonna be in a world of hurt. Every single year we get ground bees,and every year some varment comes around at night and digs them up and kills the nest. Don't spray just the entrance to the nest,that'll tinkle em off real bad. The Hornets and Yellowjackets like to build nests higher up.....under siding,in your AC units,etc. They can kill a small dog easily so keep them inside when you spray. And spray one last time in the fall,the closer it gets to cold weather,the more aggressive they become. I hung small brown paper bags blown up from our soffit where they like to nest. It keeps them away because they think it is another nest and won't go near it. Also,the blue-black hornet like things you see around the nests are wasp killers,so don't be afraid of them. Geeze guess you can tell we have had problems with wasps and yellow jackets,huh? I put up the brown paper lunchbags in the spring and they really do work. And remember,wasps eat MEAT....and they kill the freindly bees that we need. :sword:

Bees don't hate smoke, they are calmed by it. It makes the alarm pheromones given off by the queen and guard bees undetectable and so they are more unlikely to sting. This is why beekeepers smoke the hive before opening it and pulling the frames. Smoking the nest will only make them calmly buzz away. If you want them to leave the area so you can seal it up, the bee go mentioned above is your best bet. That foam insulation in a can is a great product for sealing any entrances.

Thanks, but I am almost sure that if you keep constant smoke in the area they will have to leave or die of smoke inhalation. Catch a bee, put it in a big bowl, blow some smoke in there, from paper, a cig, any thing that puts off carcinogens and it will die unless it can escape. Its to my understanding that any creature that breaths oxygen will die if there is none around.

But I am sure that specialized smoke can do what your talking about, and I think they only do it in short bursts, not constant. I should of specified. Thanks for the info again.

Archived