Patient Of Pain Clinic

Please let me know if there are doctors in N. Mi. who could provide me with continued pain treatment. The clinic I attend has forced patients to sign a release form allowing them to check "any regulatory body" about me. This means that they will be able to check to see if I have a med. marihuana card, (I have qualified and applied but not recieved my card yet). They are very against med marihuana. This means they will deny me further perscriptions and pain treatment procedures when they find out. I am hoping someone can suggest a Doctor to me who believes in both types of treatment. I have very severe pain, and am very afraid to lose my pain care. I am an old lady who does not drink, have never bought or sold any illegal drug. A friend suggested I try marihuana and I found that it takes stabbing pain away, something the fentanyl patch, dilaudid, baclofen, and my other perscriptions won't do. I thought the right thing to do was to be legal before trying any more marihuana. I am dying of cancer, and have MS, fibro, and more. Now I have terrible anxiety concerning their finding out I applied for a card. Please help...any suggestions will be welcomed.

Actually, if the MDCH were to tell a doctor of your card, any doctor, the MDCH would be in violation of state law and federal Hippa act. There is no clause nor statement in the MMMAct that allows the state to talk to anyone about your use, except a police officer with the ID card # available to him...Peace, and I hope this takes care of the anxiety for ya!...j.b.

Guest Marywanna

Did you already tell him you are a MMJ pt and have your card? If not,DON'T.DO NOT TELL ANY OF YOUR DRS. They will note it in your chart then anybody can find out,including your insurance company. And I would tell that SOB to kiss your donkey and find a Dr with some COMPASSION. You're dying,and this is the way you are treated? I really hope someone here can help you. Get as many pain rxs you can,fill them and dump the gentleman. My best wishes to you during these terrible times. MW

Please let me know if there are doctors in N. Mi. who could provide me with continued pain treatment. The clinic I attend has forced patients to sign a release form allowing them to check "any regulatory body" about me. This means that they will be able to check to see if I have a med. marihuana card, (I have qualified and applied but not recieved my card yet). They are very against med marihuana. This means they will deny me further perscriptions and pain treatment procedures when they find out. I am hoping someone can suggest a Doctor to me who believes in both types of treatment. I have very severe pain, and am very afraid to lose my pain care. I am an old lady who does not drink, have never bought or sold any illegal drug. A friend suggested I try marihuana and I found that it takes stabbing pain away, something the fentanyl patch, dilaudid, baclofen, and my other perscriptions won't do. I thought the right thing to do was to be legal before trying any more marihuana. I am dying of cancer, and have MS, fibro, and more. Now I have terrible anxiety concerning their finding out I applied for a card. Please help...any suggestions will be welcomed.

Where exactly in N MI do you live, and I will see if I can help you locate a Dr.

Where is it you live?

Guest thequietone

If Grand Rapids is not to far I know one who will accept you as a patient. If you are interested PM me and I can give you more information.

i show my card every place i go...beaumont hosital pain clinic did not have a problem with my mj use and the doctor even asked me questions about it, like how long does it take effect and last, side effects...i won my disability case and workmans comp case, and they knew...wouldnt they be violating my rights as a patient actively participating in my recovery? I could understand their position if u dropped dirty and u had lied about mj use. It is legal, if ur new doc doesnt like that, find a new one...sounds like u might have a good lead u a few posts up. But when u withhold information then they can't be responsible for your treatment outcome. they are covering their asses

I know your fear all to well. I have been kicked out of two doctor's offices because of my MM use. They drug tested me every 3 months and didn't care that I took less opiates when I used MM. I am now on my third pain management doctor and so far no drug testing but I also did the don't ask don't tell attitude with this one.

I wish you luck in your efforts to find a new doctor my friend. They are out there it just takes a little work to find one.

Dizz

Guest Marywanna

I just don't get WHY a DR will give you drugs that can literally KILL you and then back off because of MMJ? My God,doesn't a person have the right to die with dignity? Don't they have enough to worry about and suffer from the pain?? Man that just makes me so mad. It is LEGAL for medical use. I would tear that guy a new one,it'll make YOU feel better and who cares,you are dumping him. My Pain Mgt Dr would ASK me what I wanted and it was always dangerous narcotics,or another edipdural injection or Rhizotomy. Now he just wants to give me more Rhizotomies and I am done with that route. Last time I wasn't able to walk for 5 hours after and that scared the crap outta me. No thanks. Rather be able to WALK even if it is in pain! MW

I just don't get WHY a DR will give you drugs that can literally KILL you and then back off because of MMJ? My God,doesn't a person have the right to die with dignity? Don't they have enough to worry about and suffer from the pain?? Man that just makes me so mad. It is LEGAL for medical use. I would tear that guy a new one,it'll make YOU feel better and who cares,you are dumping him. My Pain Mgt Dr would ASK me what I wanted and it was always dangerous narcotics,or another edipdural injection or Rhizotomy. Now he just wants to give me more Rhizotomies and I am done with that route. Last time I wasn't able to walk for 5 hours after and that scared the crap outta me. No thanks. Rather be able to WALK even if it is in pain! MW

Unfortunately, many doctors aren't able to make this decision for themselves due to corporate policies and insurance agreements. Any doctor who receives federal money also is subject to federal law, making MM a risky idea for them. I'm not defending the practice. Just saying it isn't always the individual doctor's fault.

Guest Marywanna

Yes I understand that completely. Many people are sue-happy and in turn Drs have had to pay more and more for their own malpractice insurance.The good Drs suffer for it. But I still advise any MMJ PT NOT TO TELL YOUR DR. Just causes more problems for both of you. Only my own opinion based on my experience. MW

Actually, if the MDCH were to tell a doctor of your card, any doctor, the MDCH would be in violation of state law and federal Hippa act. There is no clause nor statement in the MMMAct that allows the state to talk to anyone about your use, except a police officer with the ID card # available to him...Peace, and I hope this takes care of the anxiety for ya!...j.b.

My understanding of Hipaa is that the patient release form, as the OP said he is required to fill out, allows communication of Hipaa-protected personal health information. So the state could certainly tell the doctor about the patient's registry status, if the doctor forwards on the release form signed by the patient.

Feel free to jump on me if I'm wrong, but Hipaa certainly doesn't seem like magic when nearly every doctor and insurance company has you sign a Hipaa waiver among the first forms you fill out.

I know your fear all to well. I have been kicked out of two doctor's offices because of my MM use. They drug tested me every 3 months and didn't care that I took less opiates when I used MM. I am now on my third pain management doctor and so far no drug testing but I also did the don't ask don't tell attitude with this one.

I wish you luck in your efforts to find a new doctor my friend. They are out there it just takes a little work to find one.

DizzAccording to my insurance company they cant just kick you out.and the mdch, but if you walk away and do not call and compalin.then they can get away with it..I am not allowing them to.

Archived