Suboxone Treatment & Medical Marijuana

Hello all! I'm new to this forum and this is my 2nd post so forgive me if I've missed some info or overlooked this topic. I am currently being treated for opiate dependency and I take Subutex. It is basically a medicine that blocks the opiate transmitters in your brain, so there is no crave or need for opiates (off the streets). The subutex is sublingual (under the tongue) and I take it 3 times daily. The subutex gives me some nausea and I have smoked marijuana normally to help, and am now looking into the medical marijuana as it is much more legally safe and there is much more potent stuff out there, meaning less smoking and possibly just eating a cookie to help with the aches. My question is, do I need to get recomendation from my Subutex Doctor or can I go to a medical marijuana doctors office to start the process. I just have a feeling my Suboxone doctor wouldnt be too hip giving me a reccomendation for Medical Marijuana vs some other medication for my nausea. Marijuana has truly helped my nausea (Subutex is strong stuff) and my Subutex doctor does know I smoke marijuana and he doesnt really approve as he wants me off drugs altogether. I am eventually weaning off my subutex but any help would be greatly appreciated on what steps i can take to get my Medical Marijuana card. Thank you all and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

MrZIG

See if your M.D. will give you the recommendation then talk to a homeopathic or naturopathic doctor. That Suboxone is ridiculously mind altering and personality changing, I ran into an old buddy that is in the same exact situation with opiate addiction. He takes Suboxone and he is not the same person, AT ALL! I understand that there is sometimes a need for synthetically engineered chemicals to rid yourself of other ones. However, there are plenty of natural remedies and cures that are far less impactful on your body.

Hello all! I'm new to this forum and this is my 2nd post so forgive me if I've missed some info or overlooked this topic. I am currently being treated for opiate dependency and I take Subutex. It is basically a medicine that blocks the opiate transmitters in your brain, so there is no crave or need for opiates (off the streets). The subutex is sublingual (under the tongue) and I take it 3 times daily. The subutex gives me some nausea and I have smoked marijuana normally to help, and am now looking into the medical marijuana as it is much more legally safe and there is much more potent stuff out there, meaning less smoking and possibly just eating a cookie to help with the aches. My question is, do I need to get recomendation from my Subutex Doctor or can I go to a medical marijuana doctors office to start the process. I just have a feeling my Suboxone doctor wouldnt be too hip giving me a reccomendation for Medical Marijuana vs some other medication for my nausea. Marijuana has truly helped my nausea (Subutex is strong stuff) and my Subutex doctor does know I smoke marijuana and he doesnt really approve as he wants me off drugs altogether. I am eventually weaning off my subutex but any help would be greatly appreciated on what steps i can take to get my Medical Marijuana card. Thank you all and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

MrZIG

Run Do not Walk AWAY from the greedy basterd substituting one bad drug for another in an attempt to cover up his or another doctor's flower up in over prescribing opiates. We all are victims of ignorance and greed when it comes to real pain management. RUN AWAY from this quack. Go Camping for a week or so with just water and get back into your own body and take control of it. The quack is killing you

Go to a Medical Cannabis Dr NOW get your rec and get off the death drugs

MrZIG

I have been through the same treatment as you. I am off opiates now and will never take them again. I went to a doctor who did MM recommendations and left my pain management doctor out of the loop. If not for the MM I would have never made it through detox. I did not have the mental cravings when I went off Suboxone like some said they did. Any doctor that does a detox program with you will not approve of MM, in fact in my case I have found that all the pain management doctors I have gone to will not see you if you test positive for any drug they do not prescribe for you. Most do regular drug testing. Glad to hear you are off opiates and it will be even better when you are off the Suboxone. What dose of Suboxone are you on and how long were you on opiates? They had me on opiates for over 5 years and I took the Suboxone for a month and just stopped on my own with no problems.

Dizz

Hello all! thanks for your replies. I will admit, the suboxone has helped me out drastically. I am on a dose of 8mg daily. It is so expensive its insane! I have been on the program for a year and started at 24 mg daily. I have tested positive for marijuana everytime he has tested me, and I am honest with him about my use. He says as long as I am honest, I wont be asked to leave the program. Before suboxone, I was taking opiates everyday for about 5 years. It did a number on my stomach and thats where I think the nausea ccame frome. It was vicodin, percocet, and oxycontin everyday, i felt i needed it to function. THe suboxone may just be a replacement, but I do feel better and more like myself. However, being here in Michigan, I want to take advantage of the MM. I live in Kalamazoo adn I plan on seeing a different doctor about all of this and I am going to go to some Care groups about MM as well. Any more advice or ideas from anyone here would be greatly appreciated!!!

MrZIG

Just talk to your doctor and you will either get told yes or no, then if all else fails go to a certification clinic, and they tried to get me on that subutex, I was on oxycontin for a year and vicodin for 2 years, I never used it though I quit cold turkey and mmj was very helpful for some of the withdrawals, it was still a bad two weeks but it is worth trying.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

I have been taking subutex for years after a long run of opiates. Eventually I want to ween off of subutex. It will take time as I have been taking them for so long. Stopping the medication would throw me into severe withdrawals to the point I would not be able to function normally. I use it for pain also and have stayed off opiated for the entire time I have been on subutex. It’s served its purpose but it’s just as bad as the alternative. It’s just swapping one legal opioid for another. I don’t feel high when I take subutex , I just feel normal. 

55 minutes ago, 502Srt said:

I am currently taking subutex. I am thinking about getting my MM license. Was wondering if it is reported to the subutex doctor and if they will have to stop prescribing the subutex

A lot of the pain management patients have to periodically do a urine screening. That would be how the doctor would know. Most have rules that will not let you use both. Since the doctors don't have anything to gain by switching you onto cannabis they frown on it. They would rather have you as a lifelong opioid management patient. Cash cow.