Crop Circle

this is a pic of me standing in my moms field next to what appears to possibly be a crop circle. mom says it wasnt there the day or the night before. I guess it has been there for a week or so. I insisted they take a pic once they told me, I guess it was more visable earlier in the week. I thought some of you may be interested in seeing it so here you go.form your own opinions I guess.

cropcircle8-2010.jpg

Their caused by fungi living in the soil, it grows outward from a central point and forms circles. I've seen yards with several of the rings in them before.

The fungi breaks down the nutrients in the soil so the plants have more nutrients available to them as the fungus works it's magic. That's why the rings form a dark green color, more nitrogen is available along with other nutrients.

This is a good example of why you should use beneficial fungi like mycorize in your soil mix. Many high quality soilless mixes have it mixed in already.

Their also known as Fairy Rings. They may bring you, Good Luck!

Fairy Ring is a good possibility... just don't eat the mushrooms.

Was there a tree there at some point? If so that might of caused the symbiotic relationship for the fungal growth.

If you are tempted to investigate which mushrooms grow there, wear gloves. Document the characteristics of the growth. height, color... and finally a spore print (pull the cap off and place on a white piece of parer and let sit til the spores fall off. You can google which family it belongs to.

Fairy Ring is a good possibility... just don't eat the mushrooms.

Was there a tree there at some point? If so that might of caused the symbiotic relationship for the fungal growth.

If you are tempted to investigate which mushrooms grow there, wear gloves. Document the characteristics of the growth. height, color... and finally a spore print (pull the cap off and place on a white piece of parer and let sit til the spores fall off. You can google which family it belongs to.

there has never been a tree in that location to my knowledge, and mom has owned property for almost 23 years now. the grass within the circle is basicly green and in good condition, and no mushrooms anywhere. their are no ground moles in the area either. maybe it's swamp gas... :rolleyes:

Never took a picture, but I found a spot on my property where the grass (tall grass) was laid over in a circle. The circle was around 12' diameter. Kind of freaked me out. I think it was probably a strange circular wind that did it.

with all due respect I doubt it was the wind.

Archived