E-Mail Reply From Virg Bernero

tricloud

The taxation and regulation is one area where I probably differ with most folks in our community. I don't like the idea of a tax or regulations being put in place on medical marijuana, remember it was a simple tax that was used to start the prohibition on cannabis.

Also, comparing medical marijuana to "beer and wine" perpetuates the image that people are medicating for recreational purposes, and takes away from the medicinal argument. Just something to keep in mind.

Rev, in an earlier post it was mentioned that 'medications' in Michigan are NOT taxed.

IF MMJ is a medication as it would appear that it IS now under STATE law, taxing it might be VERY difficult to do.

It COULD be argued in court that if MMJ is 'taxed' other meds should also be taxed.

Taxing MMJ just might be a lawyer's paradise if it were attempted.

Of course if 'cannabis' is ever 'legalized' for public use, THAT would be an entirely different situation.

And if cannabis were made legal for public use, I would hope that Medical Marijuana would NOT be taxed when purchased by 'registered patients'.

The taxation and regulation is one area where I probably differ with most folks in our community. I don't like the idea of a tax or regulations being put in place on medical marijuana, remember it was a simple tax that was used to start the prohibition on cannabis.

Also, comparing medical marijuana to "beer and wine" perpetuates the image that people are medicating for recreational purposes, and takes away from the medicinal argument. Just something to keep in mind.

I'm talking about taxing and regulating marijuana so anybody over the age of 21 can use it. That's what taxing and regulating means and why I compared it to beer and wine.

Marijuana should be treated similar to beer and wine because it's a mild drug like beer and wine......

True that it all started with a tax stamp that the gov would not issue to anyone. However I would also argue that if it was not for the high tax on medical cannabis in California we would not have Prop 19 on the ballot with a good chance of passing. That is one good selling point to a skeptical public that their taxes might be lower due to cannabis.

True that it all started with a tax stamp that the gov would not issue to anyone. However I would also argue that if it was not for the high tax on medical cannabis in California we would not have Prop 19 on the ballot with a good chance of passing. That is one good selling point to a skeptical public that their taxes might be lower due to cannabis.

Yeah, but the thing is already basicly law, without the tax...

(10-01) 16:49 PDT Sacramento — Citing the need to reduce spending on prosecution and courts, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a measure that makes marijuana possession an infraction, on par with traffic and littering tickets.

The Republican governor’s unexpected support for the measure comes one month before voters decide whether to legalize adult recreational use of marijuana in California.

“In this time of drastic budget cuts, prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement and the courts cannot afford to expend limited resources prosecuting a crime that carries the same punishment as a traffic ticket,” wrote Schwarzenegger, who opposes Proposition 19, the marijuana initiative.

The law, which takes effect immediately, reduces possession of up to an ounce of marijuana - about the amount that will fit in a sandwich-size bag - from a misdemeanor to an infraction. Already, marijuana possession was the only misdemeanor under California law that didn’t allow for jail time.

That was his preemptive strike to try and kill the legalization effort.

I actually think it was done for the pragmatic reasons suggested... they are hurting bad out there with their debt. This is the one area where nobody would argue that money shouldn't be cut... it is election time and all ;)

Does anybody have any proof that Snyder is in favor of med mj?

Check out the call in show from Michigan Radio (NPR) - he fielded a couple of questions on it. Also the freep did a write up on the call-in show.

Freep Article

I think (my opinion) that because the law is on the books - the people have already voted and it takes more than a governor to undo that - that both candidates will support medical marijuana. Also, while I think democrats are more likely to support MMJ, I think this really is an issue that crosses party lines. I have heard many conservatives back MMJ in many other jurisdictions and Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper is a democrat and she and her office have been involved in the raids and continue to challenge the law.

All that aside, Snyder is not going to try and take away something that the voters approved - if it was all legislative (i.e texting while driving), then I would be concerned. I think the MMJ and the governor battle is moot, but I think AG, and judges are very important in this election.

Check out the call in show from Michigan Radio (NPR) - he fielded a couple of questions on it. Also the freep did a write up on the call-in show.

Freep Article

I think (my opinion) that because the law is on the books - the people have already voted and it takes more than a governor to undo that - that both candidates will support medical marijuana. Also, while I think democrats are more likely to support MMJ, I think this really is an issue that crosses party lines. I have heard many conservatives back MMJ in many other jurisdictions and Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper is a democrat and she and her office have been involved in the raids and continue to challenge the law.

All that aside, Snyder is not going to try and take away something that the voters approved - if it was all legislative (i.e texting while driving), then I would be concerned. I think the MMJ and the governor battle is moot, but I think AG, and judges are very important in this election.

Thanks for the article link , In reading it sounds like Snyder has a better plan & seems more trust-able than Verge the Set in Stone Career Politician ,,,

Yeah, but the thing is already basicly law, without the tax...

(10-01) 16:49 PDT Sacramento — Citing the need to reduce spending on prosecution and courts, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a measure that makes marijuana possession an infraction, on par with traffic and littering tickets.

The Republican governor’s unexpected support for the measure comes one month before voters decide whether to legalize adult recreational use of marijuana in California.

“In this time of drastic budget cuts, prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement and the courts cannot afford to expend limited resources prosecuting a crime that carries the same punishment as a traffic ticket,” wrote Schwarzenegger, who opposes Proposition 19, the marijuana initiative.

The law, which takes effect immediately, reduces possession of up to an ounce of marijuana - about the amount that will fit in a sandwich-size bag - from a misdemeanor to an infraction. Already, marijuana possession was the only misdemeanor under California law that didn’t allow for jail time.

Interesting. Arnold said he did not support legalization but then pretty much did it himself. I guess the difference is a tax they would get on every ounce but being a misdemeanor they will only get paid for the ounces they can find.

Thanks for the article link , In reading it sounds like Snyder has a better plan & seems more trust-able than Verge the Set in Stone Career Politician ,,,

What plan? He never gave any plan. Just the same tired talking points we heard from Republicans during the Bush administration while he let Wall Street run amok. Don't fool yourself into thinking that any CEO of a company the size of Gateway is not a life long politician. All that article says to me is he is not willing to take responsibility for his part in driving Gateway into the ground. Truth is he probably has gone into politics for the same reason Bush Jr. did. He could not adequately run a corporation so politics was all that was left.

What plan? He never gave any plan. Just the same tired talking points we heard from Republicans during the Bush administration while he let Wall Street run amok. Don't fool yourself into thinking that any CEO of a company the size of Gateway is not a life long politician. All that article says to me is he is not willing to take responsibility for his part in driving Gateway into the ground. Truth is he probably has gone into politics for the same reason Bush Jr. did. He could not adequately run a corporation so politics was all that was left.

Well then by those standards Ole Virg is well on his way of being a Career Politician ,,,

Well then by those standards Ole Virg is well on his way of being a Career Politician ,,,

I never claimed other wise though I don't know his background well enough to know if he was ever a CEO type person or just always a politician. However my main point still remains that none of these guys give any plan about anything. Really just the same old tired talking points.

Snyder said he was against legalization. Virg has not taken a stance on that but of the two of them Virg seems more likely to not veto a bill if it gets to him.

I never claimed other wise though I don't know his background well enough to know if he was ever a CEO type person or just always a politician. However my main point still remains that none of these guys give any plan about anything. Really just the same old tired talking points.

Snyder said he was against legalization. Virg has not taken a stance on that but of the two of them Virg seems more likely to not veto a bill if it gets to him.

I would tend to agree with you about Virg... one only need look at the mmj community and businesses in Lansing, the town he is the executive of...

Please Elaborate on why you think " Virg seems more likely to not veto a bill if it gets to him." ? I'm not being argumentative I just like to hear factual case points . If Virg is so MM Friendly then why does he not Openly Endorse & Embrace it ?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived