Hundreds Protest At Hearing For Medical Marijuana Defendants

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sub4me

Maybe it would be best to stay away form any CC or dispensary in Oakland County until the cases are settled in court. Kinda makes sense to stay away when the Sheriff and PA are saying its illegal, well in thier county and in their opinion.

Listen go where you want, but I sure don't to be at some dispensary or CC when its gets raided again. I know its sucks but for your safety stay away, unless you want to become a victim in the system with those guys. I don't, so its simple visit other dispensaries or CCs. Look theres about 5-6 now just in Lansing, theres some in Ann Arbor, theres one that opened up in the Eastern Market in downtown Detroit,and they all seem to be operating just fine. Just go to some CC or dispensary that isn't in Oakland Co. why push your luck when places have been raided and now warned again?? Be safe.

In my life I've been involved with many organizations of ALL types, non-profit, for profit, governmental and private.

Seen it ALL from the bottom to the top.

I have found that the best way to work with other 'organizations' that had 'similar' goals but 'different ways' of doing things was to keep EVERY communication channel open and to help the other organization with suggestions and 'coaching' when possible.

My organization made 'mistakes' as well as did the other organizations ... but to TRY and 'control' what the other organization did I found to be 'futile' and a waste of time and energy... AND my efforts to control what the other organizations did only served to make working together less likely and often caused 'friction' between the organizations that 'used up' resources and energy that could have been put to better use.

SOME protest efforts will be to our liking SOME WON'T... but ANY protest... unless it BLATANTLY supports an effort to 'break the law'... at least shows the anti-MMJ / cannabis groups that we can organize a strong showing and WE WILL CONTINUE to organize strong showings.

Of course the more fore thought and reasoning that goes into the protests will certainly produce a better showing of our support for our cause and our community.

But to try and 'control' what others may do quite often backfires.

Helping others to improve their own efforts and to help educate others without anger or humiliation is the best way to go IMHO.

ANY peaceful effort we produce to show the anti-MMJ cannabis crowed that we are HERE TO STAY is a good effort.

As for me... I take all of our efforts seriously... BUT I am not taking ANY of this personally.. this 'movement' is much bigger than me OR you as individuals.

And IMO the 'movement' is an effort to regain our rights to choose our own course in life AND how and what we choose to do with our own bodies while respecting the rights of others.

I'll step back now and await the flying tomatoes.

Greenbuddha, Well said, and you won't get any flying tomatoes from me.

Sb

After reading all this I need to know one thing, Are we gonna be ok? I'm so sorry there's so much disharmony, when we need to be unified NOW more than ever. I hope if BB talks to the sheriff and prosecutor, he has a lawyer with him. I would not advise going in there without one or without consulting with that lawyer beforehand. I know about being overprotective, I feel the same way and it's hard to pull back so I don't smother anyone or get in their way. I don't know what to say or think right now. When someone says, "being paid," I think "money." Incentives, to me, is almost a gray area, or perhaps on the borderline. My motivation for protesting is compassion for the suffering, and outrage over injustice. I'm so confused right now I don't know what to think, all I know is when there's a call to protest, it's like a soldier marching to the battlefield, passionately fighting for what they truly believe in their hearts to be the right thing to do. We are all reluctant warriors who are passionate about justice and exposing wrongdoing. Anyone who reads these forums for awhile should be observant enough to realize WE ARE doing our best to stay within the law. Those who abuse it are ruining it for EVERYONE. I've wished for many years to have the right to use the medicine of my choice. This is medicine to me, I think of it in those terms. I want to be able to go to a dr and be open about it and have my condition monitored to see how well it's working and have that documented, and live without fear. I respect our law and the needs of those who use this medicine, and those who provide it for us. Staying focused on patients' rights is the Key to Victory.

Sorry for rambling, I feel very torn apart over all this. With all the distractions going on, we must never forget WHY WE'RE HERE and stay FOCUSED. PLEASE REMEMBER we all want the same thing; we're ALL on the same side here. WHY can't we stay focused on that? We have ENOUGH to be angry about, enough to motivate us to come out in support of our community. That anger can be used to accomplish positive things. We have enough stress, not to be working against each other. Our rights are on the line, isn't that enough?

This disharmony has been going on for far too long and time's running out.

Sb

The solution to the problem is simple. Communication. It was totally lacking. Compassion Clubs are off limits to law enforcement. All they have to do is screw with one to find out what happens next. Oakland County Compassion Clubs are not illegal as the sheriff claims and any action against them will be met with swift and multiple legal and civil responses.

I have deleted my previous post and apologize for them. I have already been on the phone with legal council and we are moving to protect the Compassion Clubs in Oakland County. Thanks, Bb

'Tis a man most large who can say "oops, my bad"

After reading all this I need to know one thing, Are we gonna be ok? I'm so sorry there's so much disharmony, when we need to be unified NOW more than ever. I hope if BB talks to the sheriff and prosecutor, he has a lawyer with him. I would not advise going in there without one or without consulting with that lawyer beforehand. I know about being overprotective, I feel the same way and it's hard to pull back so I don't smother anyone or get in their way. I don't know what to say or think right now. When someone says, "being paid," I think "money." Incentives, to me, is almost a gray area, or perhaps on the borderline. My motivation for protesting is compassion for the suffering, and outrage over injustice. I'm so confused right now I don't know what to think, all I know is when there's a call to protest, it's like a soldier marching to the battlefield, passionately fighting for what they truly believe in their hearts to be the right thing to do. We are all reluctant warriors who are passionate about justice and exposing wrongdoing. Anyone who reads these forums for awhile should be observant enough to realize WE ARE doing our best to stay within the law. Those who abuse it are ruining it for EVERYONE. I've wished for many years to have the right to use the medicine of my choice. This is medicine to me, I think of it in those terms. I want to be able to go to a dr and be open about it and have my condition monitored to see how well it's working and have that documented, and live without fear. I respect our law and the needs of those who use this medicine, and those who provide it for us. Staying focused on patients' rights is the Key to Victory.

Sorry for rambling, I feel very torn apart over all this. With all the distractions going on, we must never forget WHY WE'RE HERE and stay FOCUSED. PLEASE REMEMBER we all want the same thing; we're ALL on the same side here. WHY can't we stay focused on that? We have ENOUGH to be angry about, enough to motivate us to come out in support of our community. That anger can be used to accomplish positive things. We have enough stress, not to be working against each other. Our rights are on the line, isn't that enough?

This disharmony has been going on for far too long and time's running out.

Sb

Thank you SB i read your post all the time and like your thinking if we could get BB to talk to the PA and the Sheriff that would fix a lot of thing But they wont talk to any one

they could care less about our Rights that is why we must all stand up for our Rights.

The Leo's love it when they come here to read these post's and all they read is in house fighting

Thank you BB and B&T for replying to my messages.

What worries me the most is that we are not being taken seriously, and I am sure LEO is laughing at us when they read this forum. They think we are a joke! What do you think they're thinking when they see people talking about things that shouldn't be seen here, like the one I saw about someone going on a boating trip and looking for someone to "medicate with". I almost left the site after seeing that, among other things. This is MEDICINE, not an excuse to go medicate with a friend or at some smokers' club or whatever, people in much worse condition than me depend on it to keep them alive. I could live without it, I wanna see if it'd help, as I believe it does, but if I find it doesn't, I wouldn't renew. One thing I did realize when I quit was how much it helped my depression, so it helps that as well as my qualifying condition. I have lost any desire to just get high, that's why I quit many years ago. Added to my concerns here is the disharmony and some of the names people call themselves. How could anyone take us seriously? I don't wanna lose my rights because too many abuse the law. They don't seem to Respect it or the medicine we fought so hard to get. I am very extremely upset. We have a bigger enemy than each other. I tried to remind people that in every group I've ever been in, because they can't seem to stay focused on WHY THEY ARE THERE. This mess has brought us all together, we won't accomplish anything if we are falling apart.

Sb

Silverblue,

I just sent a pm to someone regarding the same exact thing. Although almost two-thirds of voters were in favor of this act, the overall aura as of now seems to disagree with those statistics. We need that 62.7%, not only for November, but everyday before and after. My question is if this goes all the way to the Supreme Court, will cardholders who live in cities with horrible ordinances be in violation of the law until it's all over? Hope it doesn't come to that.

The dispensary in Waterford has "Waterford Area Compassion Club" plastered on the front window. The owners of the "club" openly admit that it was a for profit dispensary. To the outside observer "dispensary" and "compassion club" are one in the same, of course Bouchard and Cooper say they're both illegal, to them and the public it's all the same. What happened to the original Compassion club model that was about education and support? Dispensarys hiding behind the compassion club name does nothing but hurt our cause. I was at the protest and all speeches were in support of patient rights and not about dispensary rights. There were 300+ people in my estimation and there could have been more if the MMMA was on board. Pizza, t shirt and a bus ride is no more paying the protesters than offering up some medicine to a hurting patient is. And by the way I drove to the protest.

Mike

Guest sub4me

Thank you BB and B&T for replying to my messages.

What worries me the most is that we are not being taken seriously, and I am sure LEO is laughing at us when they read this forum. They think we are a joke! What do you think they're thinking when they see people talking about things that shouldn't be seen here, like the one I saw about someone going on a boating trip and looking for someone to "medicate with". I almost left the site after seeing that, among other things. This is MEDICINE, not an excuse to go medicate with a friend or at some smokers' club or whatever, people in much worse condition than me depend on it to keep them alive. I could live without it, I wanna see if it'd help, as I believe it does, but if I find it doesn't, I wouldn't renew. One thing I did realize when I quit was how much it helped my depression, so it helps that as well as my qualifying condition. I have lost any desire to just get high, that's why I quit many years ago. Added to my concerns here is the disharmony and some of the names people call themselves. How could anyone take us seriously? I don't wanna lose my rights because too many abuse the law. They don't seem to Respect it or the medicine we fought so hard to get. I am very extremely upset. We have a bigger enemy than each other. I tried to remind people that in every group I've ever been in, because they can't seem to stay focused on WHY THEY ARE THERE. This mess has brought us all together, we won't accomplish anything if we are falling apart.

Sb

Thank YOU one thousand times, your someone who gets it. :))

Hi! Mike i was their to and thats the way i saw it it was about Rights

I spent some time speaking with you and Torey. I wanted to contribute to your defense fund but had no cash with me. I'll catch up to you at the next one.

Mike

The dispensary in Waterford has "Waterford Area Compassion Club" plastered on the front window. The owners of the "club" openly admit that it was a for profit dispensary. To the outside observer "dispensary" and "compassion club" are one in the same, of course Bouchard and Cooper say they're both illegal, to them and the public it's all the same. What happened to the original Compassion club model that was about education and support? Dispensarys hiding behind the compassion club name does nothing but hurt our cause. I was at the protest and all speeches were in support of patient rights and not about dispensary rights. There were 300+ people in my estimation and there could have been more if the MMMA was on board. Pizza, t shirt and a bus ride is no more paying the protesters than offering up some medicine to a hurting patient is. And by the way I drove to the protest.

Mike

i drove also are they going to have another one at 8:30 am in Nov?

It is about our rights. That is why many people in the opposition party are downplaying the rights issue and blowing up a "crime epidemic" issue. All of a sudden things that happen on a daily basis in Detroit, make the ten o clock news. Is it just me or what because last time i checked Detroit has been known for crime, so why is it that certain people choose to act like crime was nonexistent prior to this law coming into effect. Honestly, it cracks me up.

Guest sub4me

I couldn't agree more its all about the PATIENTS it always was but its being taken over by those other then Patients or those who truly care about MM and not just the money they can make from the patients who need meds.

i Remember you now it was cool getting the pizza i was hungry

what prize did you get?

No prizes and no Cardboard pizza. I do want to contribute to your defense as long as that isn't considered a payoff by the MMMA.

\

Mike

It is all about the patients. That's what's really bad about this whole thing. In Oakland County it is a crime to operate a Compassion Club. This kind of reaction was predicted weeks ago. I'll pull up the post if you'd like. If this trial is raised to the level of a referendum on Medical Marijuana, because we made it a high stakes game, we will all loose, if things go the wrong way. The press picked up on the fact that the event was well financed. I thought this was a bad idea because of raising the stakes for the defendants. If the judge or prosecutor had any thought of dismissing or offering a deal, the terms just got tougher. The judge and prosecutor will be viewed as weak on crime if they do. All of these things were discussed face to face in a large meeting.

Despite the MMMA's pristine record at achieving it's objectives using civil disobedience, the MMMA was not even involved in the planning of this event. This despite multiple request from myself for updates.

There is another protest scheduled on Nov. 3rd. I think this one will be an equally bad idea. Why? Because it's gambling with the patient's right to obtain or use MMJ, and could cause further harm to defendants. The current model of dispensary is being defended, that's all. We started working on a legal model weeks ago. We thought that using your mind to resolve a problem, was a much better idea that trying to force the judicial system into submission. I am a history buff, I can't think of a single case where civil disobedience has stopped a Judaical proceeding. Ask John Brown or the Chicago Seven. I will let others make the decision on whether the MMMA participates in that one. I just can't stand the thought of having to mount a statewide effort to defend Compassion Clubs. This is the way localities in Michigan have been implementing MMJ Guidelines.

If a Compassion Club is raided in Oakland County, the MMMA will have a strong response. Thanks, BB

Ask John Sinclair...

defendants

Mike Martindale / The Detroit News

Waterford Township — Buoyed by signs and words of support from several hundred chanting demonstrators, 10 people appeared in court Thursday to be assigned future dates to challenge multiple charges of delivery of manufactured marijuana.

The 10 were among 16 Metro Detroiters arrested Aug. 25 across Oakland County and charged with violating the state’s medical marijuana act. All are free on bond and facing charges in Bloomfield, Ferndale and Waterford district courts.

Advertisement

mcch10_brand_exitramp_160x600.jpg Waterford District Judge Richard Kuhn Jr. set a Nov. 4 exam date for Michael Danto, 23, of West Bloomfield; and Nov. 19 dates for William J. Teichman, 51; and his wife, Candace, 45, both of White Lake Township; Laval Crawford, 38, of Waterford Township; Todd Phillip Robinson, 34, Southfield; Kirk Swafford, 28, of Waterford; Jennifer Zuck, 29, of Waterford; Matthew Miller, 26, of Waterford, Brian Vaughan of Waterford; and Max Brochert of Birmingham.

All were arrested and charged following raids and seizures by the Oakland County Sheriff’s Narcotics Enforcement Team at a Ferndale medical marijuana clinic and a Waterford “compassion club” and its related dispensary.

The Waterford club and dispensary were owned and operated by the Teichmans, investigators said.

“This is really unbelievable,” William Teichman said, looking at supporters outside the court. “It means a lot to us.”

A Michigan Court of Appeals judge last month urged lawmakers to clarify the state's medical marijuana law, saying the “inartfully drafted” measure has resulted in confusion and arrests that some have called an enforcement nightmare.

Several communities are currently wrestling with applications and interpretations of the law, which was intended to provide marijuana to qualified individuals requiring it for medical reasons.

Under the law, people who have obtained physician approval and state-issued cards are permitted to possess and use marijuana.

Licensed caregivers are permitted to grow up to 12 plants in controlled situations and sell marijuana to up to five patients.

Medical records, various quantities and types of marijuana — including in candy form - were seized during the raids by NET officers, who said they were able to purchase the herb without proper identification and also witnessed open sales and exchanges between unlicensed persons.

One of those charged, Bryan Vaughan, said he was the doorman of the compassion club and personally “kicked” the officers out of the building on a previous occasion for not having the proper cards and paperwork to attend.

“It will come out in court,” Vaughan said. “They fabricated ID to get in and buy marijuana.”

Vaughan finds it ironic that he was working at the club as a volunteer to meet the community service sentence for having been driving while intoxicated on pain medication for a knee injury.

“It was sanctioned by my probation officer for four weeks,” he said.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20101008/METRO02/10080375/1409/metro/Hundreds-protest-at-hearing-for-medical-marijuana-defendants#ixzz11upWyMrv

He was convicted and spent two years in jail. Could patients go two years without their meds? Eventually our law will be put in full effect. We have to pick our cases wisely, because sick people can't wait two years for a case to make it's way through the court system, neither can Compassion clubs. Our law is Constitutional. We can show support and influence the court by showing respect and filling the courtroom. Read the statements from the prosecutor and the Sheriff, their positions have hardened. Thanks for making my point Ron! BB

Newshawk: Richard Lake

Pubdate: Sat, 9 Oct 2010

Source: Huffington Post (US Web)

Copyright: 2010 HuffingtonPost com, Inc.

Author: Karen Dalton-Beninato, New Orleans Musicians Relief Fund

Video: John Sinclair -- John Lennon

Image: http://www.mapinc.org/images/JohnSinclairFreedomRallyPoster.jpg

Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/people/John+Sinclair

JOHN SINCLAIR RECALLS THE SONG JOHN LENNON WROTE TO FREE HIM

Among those sharing memories of John Lennon on what would have been

his 70th birthday, no one was more directly affected by a Lennon song

than poet John Sinclair. After Lennon and Yoko Ono flew to Michigan

to perform Lennon's song John Sinclair for the Free John Rally,

Sinclair was released from his sentence of 10 years for giving an

undercover police officer two joints.

"I first heard it in prison when one of my lawyers came and played it

for me," Sinclair said of the song in a phone interview. "I couldn't

believe he would come and play it for my concert." The rally was held

at Ann Arbor's Crisler Arena in December 1971. Within a week, the

Michigan Supreme Court ruled that the state's marijuana statutes were

unconstitutional and Sinclair was released.

"My first wife and I went to New York to say thank you in December. I

got out on the 13th," Sinclair said. The song was later featured on

Lennon's Some Time in New York City album and is in the movie The

U.S. Versus John Lennon.

Sinclair's fellow peace activists had lobbied for years for his

release, but a former Beatle showing up and singing a song with the

judge's name in it spurred immediate action. "It was the culmination

of two and a half years of agitating and organizing to get me out. I

just lucked into Lennon hearing about it and wanting to help. That

meant a lot to me."

Others at the rally included Stevie Wonder, Allen Ginsberg, Abbie

Hoffman and Jerry Rubin. All were friends of Sinclair who was known

for reorganizing The Fifth Estate, one of the longest running

alternative newspapers in the United States, and managing Detroit's

MC5 - the only band to play the rally at the 1968 Democratic National

Convention in Chicago before the police shut it down. Ann Arbor still

hosts a Hash Bash ever year, possibly an offshoot of Sinclair's Free

John Rally.

Sinclair's path as an activist and author has led him from Detroit to

New Orleans to Amsterdam where he now runs Radio Free Amsterdam. In

addition to Lennon writing the song that released him from prison,

Sinclair's favorite memories of his friend include "when he wrote

Power to the People, putting up the billboard in Times Square, the

Bed In's for Peace - I liked all of that a lot. You think you'd you

see Lady Gaga doing a Bed In for peace? Or 50 Cent? It's a different

world. No one with the taste or musicality of John Lennon would ever

be heard today."

It's true that the days when a superstar at the level of John Lennon

could release a song as politically potent as John Sinclair are long

gone. But with platforms shifting everywhere from the recording

industry to the publishing industry to something as simple as

Twitter, we could once again be reaching a time when Power to the

People is more than just the title of a song.

Just imagine.

UPDATE: This week the FBI pulled Lennon's fingerprints from a

celebrity autograph auction, presumably in the interest of public

safety. Tonight Imagine Peace Tower in Iceland will be lit up with

the power of a million Tweets. Happy Birthday, John.

Archived