Hundreds Protest At Hearing For Medical Marijuana Defendants

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://macombdaily.com/articles/2010/10/08/news/doc4caf16d756281182937356.txt

People protesting arrests of medical marijuana patients and caregivers rallied outside Waterford’s 51st District Court before Thursday’s pre-exam conferences for defendants arrested in connection with an Aug. 25 medical marijuana raid.

About 200 people gathered in the court parking lot during the noon hour. Six charter buses carried the protesters in from Lansing, Ypsilanti, Ann Arbor, Marysville and other communities.

As speakers using a bullhorn led protest chants behind her, Chris — a registered nurse from Sanilac County who didn’t want to give her last name — said the bus she rode on was full.

“We’re here because patient records are protected by the HIPAA law and it’s important to me that these records be returned to these patients,” she said. “It’s an unlawful seizure.”

Michigan voters approved the state's medical marijuana law in November 2008 by a 63 percent vote. The law allows people with debilitating conditions to purchase marijuana under specific guidelines.

The Aug. 25 drug raids — conducted by the Oakland Countys Narcotics Enforcement Team at various growing operations and marijuana dispensaries across the county — resulted in the arrests of 16 people. Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said his office had received 150 complaints about the operations

Standing in the bright sun, Brian Plagens of Marysville explained he drove to Oak Park and rode to the protest from there.

“The (Medical Marijuana) law was enacted, and it’s not right,” he said. “They’re not doing what the voters wanted.”

This was one of several rallies held around Oakland County since the August drug raids.

Asked if the rallies were having an impact, Plagens said, “I hope so, I hope so.”

“I’d like to see the law changed even further. I think (marijuana) should be completely legal.”

The defendants who appeared in the Waterford district court will move on to preliminary examination — some on Nov. 4 and others on Nov. 19. That is the point at which evidence will be presented.

Because there are so many involved, the exam may be held in a larger facility, possibly the Oakland County Commissioners’ auditorium, officials said.

“I want the people (government) to show that a crime was committed, defense attorney Jeffrey Perlman said. “I believe (those arrested) were trying to stay within the law.”

I'm sure many who weren't paid went there, (B&T for example). I don't know the organizers or the whole story, and all I know is what I saw posted, so I can't say much except what I said, that IF this is true, it hurts us all. As I've also seen mentioned before, if someone makes statements as serious as something like this, they'd better have proof, I'm sure I've even seen BB say that.

Sb

that is right no one paid us to go but a nice lady gave us $20 for are Lawyers i sure hope you saw me with my Bag on it was funny for sure

the only thing that was said in the news was we were their for are Rights any thing else i don't know about or care about

i am not much of a poster on here and the Dispensary is well i don't know any thing about i do know that sick people need their Meds

Nope Darrell is. He is the owner of Third Coast Seed Company. He supposedly quit for making the statement about caregivers, but reemerged after the Caregivers Cup, to head up the organization. A protest is a serious thing. You don't offer compensation such as free prizes or any other enticement to get people to attend. This thing would have been simple had these guys not tried to do a power play. We asked repeatedly to be in the loop and we were denied the opportunity to participate. Thanks, Bb

Blueberry,

You seem to forget that many of us who have cards from the state are POOR! I didn't ride the bus - but, if one was available for my area I would have gladly taken them up on it.

I have to make conscious choices about how far my dollar stretches each month - as do most who read this board.

So what if people were given some water and a slice or two of pizza or a sandwich?

Mizerman

p.s. you might have just lost a lot of people over these statements - while you obviously don't support dispensaries - patients like me and countless others need safer, saner, and more reliable access to our medication of choice.

I'm glad there are other groups.

Sb

I'm with you, SB.

The more support for MMJ and cannabis that is out there means we can move forward just that much faster.

Power struggles are NOT the way to go.

And as someone already mentioned, many of the 'MACC' folks ARE members of the MMM Association.

Making comparisons about 'who' and 'what' group is doing more than another is just 'group think' and is not productive for anyone.

And getting 'defensive' and 'self protective' because another group might be out there helping out is short sighted and damaging to what we are ALL trying to accomplish.

ALL groups that help the 'community' and the 'movement' are more than welcome IMHO.

I'm with you, SB.

The more support for MMJ and cannabis that is out there means we can move forward just that much faster.

Power struggles are NOT the way to go.

And as someone already mentioned, many of the 'MACC' folks ARE members of the MMM Association.

Making comparisons about 'who' and 'what' group is doing more than another is just 'group think' and is not productive for anyone.

And getting 'defensive' and 'self protective' because another group might be out there helping out is short sighted and damaging to what we are ALL trying to accomplish.

ALL groups that help the 'community' and the 'movement' are more than welcome IMHO.

Absolutely. This movement is about so much more than one organization vs another...

Mizerman

lunch and or a t shirt ain't "gettin' paid"

a ride ain't "gettin' paid"

WTF is this an issue?

Cannabis Cures

that is the only message.

"owners" are members of our society as well.

"owning" a collective, dispensary whatever is not a crime and acting like it might be is not helpful to

CANNABIS CURES

I agree,who got paid? by who? nobody i know that went got paid.if someone was kind enough to offer a free magazine-t-shirt,or food,these protesters deserve it they make big sacrifices to be there and i appreciate all that was there,fighting for us all.

:(Tell me I didn't read this right. Protesters being paid??? Did someone slip me something? (rubbing eyes in disbelief) Wtf? This makes me very deeply sad. A few months back I thought I saw some mention of this kind of thing going on, I didn't want to believe it. It hurts us ALL, so if it's true, it's good 3MA wasn't officially involved. I know how ashamed I'd feel if I went, not knowing till later what was happening. To me, an act of protesting is a sacrifice in many ways, not to be motivated by anything but the incentive of compassion. To do otherwise gives the whole community a BIG FAT BLACK EYE. This ain't no party, this ain't no foolin' around, it's a very serious matter. I'm stunned.

Sincerely, Sb

I think I'll wait to make up my own mind AFTER I have more information.

These 'power' struggles' can get nasty once they 'become power struggles.

Myself... I need more information.

I agree,who got paid? by who? nobody i know that went got paid.if someone was kind enough to offer a free magazine-t-shirt,or food,these protesters deserve it they make big sacrifices to be there and i appreciate all that was there,fighting for us all.

I agree

You forgot Free Prizes. I support the defendants, Patient Choice and the cure. I don't support commercial interest rolling over advocacy groups and risking political gains to protect investments. This same group almost screwed up a month of work over the alligator, because they supplied a bogus picture in their press kit. We do advocacy everyday. The Government must know that our support is grass roots without remuneration or we have no power.

BB, I agree the 'poster' could have been 'written' differently'.

But when you suggest that the people attending were 'paid' to attend you also give the anti-MMJ folks great ideas on what to look for to add to their own attacks against us.

And until MANY things are straightened out regarding 'dispensaries' a 'for profit' group (as you suggest the MACC is) will go through a 'crap load' of money before ANY of the 'legal' changes come about to make 'dispensaries' a legal and 'profitable' enterprise.

At this point might it not be better to possibly give 'subtle' guidance to such groups as the MACC on HOW to word their 'protest messages' so that they are worded and presented in such a away that they DO NOT give the anti-MMJ folks more things to throw at us?

Always forward! Education is our best tool.

Well, I am really disappointed to read this. This is something the majority of folks here could have got behind, but were denied the knowledge with only hints about "being paid". This is BS. How do you think Democrats pulled off their big rally last week in DC? Union and other big money groups paid for buses and lunches and signs and shirts and lodgings.

Reagan once said "someone is 80% in agreement with me is on my side" or something like that. The poorest patient here has a lot more in common with the dispensary owner then they do with the prohibitionist. Why do we continue to dictate our actions based on what we think the enemy will like or dislike? They will not support us no matter what. I mean the first two comments on the first article were about how the protesters have no jobs to be showing up to a protest in the middle of the day and that the protesters are tax payer funded pot heads. Is this who we are really worried about dictating our behavior for? Really?

I think there will be more fracturing and hurt feelings as a result of this whole fiasco.

The floodgates have been opened. Whether their intentions were good or not, I don't know, but I do know that there is now a real crisis that must be dealt with.

Are you saying the protests brought about the crisis? That Sheriffs are just now aware of CC's and groups calling themselves CC's that are either dispensing meds or allowing meds to be consumed on site? If so, I would disagree. The opposition has said this would happen even before the law was even passed. The opposition was looking at writing law to forbid CC's before this protest even came about.

I hope to be getting with MACC to poss be filling a bus from West Michigan for future events.

Blueberry,

You seem to forget that many of us who have cards from the state are POOR! I didn't ride the bus - but, if one was available for my area I would have gladly taken them up on it.

I have to make conscious choices about how far my dollar stretches each month - as do most who read this board.

So what if people were given some water and a slice or two of pizza or a sandwich?

Mizerman

p.s. you might have just lost a lot of people over these statements - while you obviously don't support dispensaries - patients like me and countless others need safer, saner, and more reliable access to our medication of choice.

You forgot Free Prizes. I support the defendants, Patient Choice and the cure. I don't support commercial interest rolling over advocacy groups and risking political gains to protect investments. This same group almost screwed up a month of work over the alligator, because they supplied a bogus picture in their press kit. We do advocacy everyday. The Government must know that our support is grass roots without remuneration or we have no power.

ooo cheap donated trinkets to make a long boring dangerous ride interesting. We had a DVD player as well. Shoot us. I have attended protests in the cold, rain and snow since the 70's on issues ranging from Nukular power, the arms trade, the middle east, energy policy, human rights in South America etc etc ad nauseaum and guess what! I have seen all sorts of "inducements" to do the right thing and participate. It is done in the EU all the time and has been for decades. Make democracy fun. It is not like if some one wanted to join the bus who opposed us would be barred from riding. No one is being paid to attend. NO ONE is taking time from trying to survive to be a professional protester. This sort of internal division over picayune issues is surprising.

UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED we get squatted on.

I have seen too often the "I am going home" mentality play out; sometimes artificially spurned at that to the detriment of the overall movement. Look at what cost us our 79 law. Lack of participation due to fear. Now we have fear being spread from within our own ranks? It also strikes me as inaccurate to say that prizes and bad pizza comprise payment when the proper term is at best "incentive" or "distraction". It is the sort of disingenuous word choice made by our opponents.

SEARCH COINTELPRO

P.S. the pizza was Little Ceasers and SUCKED but thank you for donating. I grew up in an Italian town and to me there is no good pizza in Michigan so my opinion does not count

in oakland the d word is 2 or more caregivers in the same place helping their patients.

In other places it has been defined as one caregiver in their own home serving one single patient.

In Ann Arbor the planning commission decided that a caregiver may only service people that live in the same location. Other than that, as I understand it, they fall under control of d-word regulations.

In my life I've been involved with many organizations of ALL types, non-profit, for profit, governmental and private.

Seen it ALL from the bottom to the top.

I have found that the best way to work with other 'organizations' that had 'similar' goals but 'different ways' of doing things was to keep EVERY communication channel open and to help the other organization with suggestions and 'coaching' when possible.

My organization made 'mistakes' as well as did the other organizations ... but to TRY and 'control' what the other organization did I found to be 'futile' and a waste of time and energy... AND my efforts to control what the other organizations did only served to make working together less likely and often caused 'friction' between the organizations that 'used up' resources and energy that could have been put to better use.

SOME protest efforts will be to our liking SOME WON'T... but ANY protest... unless it BLATANTLY supports an effort to 'break the law'... at least shows the anti-MMJ / cannabis groups that we can organize a strong showing and WE WILL CONTINUE to organize strong showings.

Of course the more fore thought and reasoning that goes into the protests will certainly produce a better showing of our support for our cause and our community.

But to try and 'control' what others may do quite often backfires.

Helping others to improve their own efforts and to help educate others without anger or humiliation is the best way to go IMHO.

ANY peaceful effort we produce to show the anti-MMJ cannabis crowd that we are HERE TO STAY is a good effort.

As for me... I take all of our efforts seriously... BUT I am not taking ANY of this personally.. this 'movement' is much bigger than me OR you as individuals.

And IMO the 'movement' is an effort to regain our rights to choose our own course in life AND how and what we choose to do with our own bodies while respecting the rights of others.

I'll step back now and await the flying tomatoes.

The solution to the problem is simple. Communication. It was totally lacking. Compassion Clubs are off limits to law enforcement. All they have to do is screw with one to find out what happens next. Oakland County Compassion Clubs are not illegal as the sheriff claims and any action against them will be met with swift and multiple legal and civil responses.

I have deleted my previous post and apologize for them. I have already been on the phone with legal council and we are moving to protect the Compassion Clubs in Oakland County. Thanks, Bb

Bb, ALL your efforts are GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!!!

I am sorry for any stress I caused you folks. I am over protective. This is a flaw in my personality. I care greatly for all aspects of our movement including a patients choice on where and how they obtain their meds. You guys that protested were doing the good work yesterday. All of the problems were caused by the leadership of the movement. We will resolve our issues and move on. We owe you folks that. Peace BB

IMHO 'passion' for a good cause is never a bad thing.

A little stress now and then is good for the 'circulation'.

Ever forward, Bb.

Archived