Close-Minded Parents/obtaining Mm Card

Daniel18

Hello all, my Dad (a very close-minded man when it comes to this topic) is giving me a really rough time because I told him that I wanted to get a medical marijuana card.

I haven't told my mom yet, but I expect similar results. I'm 18 and still under their roof unfortunately.

I told my dad that I had:

-Chronic anxiety about a lot of things

-Chronic insomnia

-Depression

-Fatigue, yet I can't go to sleep.

-ADHD symptoms that were not corrected by medicine but instead completely messed me up with the side effects.

I told him that I also had random heart pains almost everyday, that my muscles were twitching and tensing up daily (spastic muscles).

I have tried numerous medications that I could count on both hands to help with my problems but none of them have helped (actually feel better without them) and all of them gave me bad side effects.

I told him that marijuana made me feel better the times that I did try it, but he casts it all down because it's a "drug" to which I countered that all the medications that doctors prescribed me were "drugs" too. But he is as close-minded as can be and a total hypocrite because he used to smoke for recreational purposes.

Would it be of benefit of me to get a mm card for my problems if I could? Would I be able to get a mm card for my problems?

Can anyone help me out with convincing my parents and hopefully obtaining a medical marijuana card please?

Doesn't feel good to be called the "worst son ever' because I want to try to get something that might help me.

Thanks all

post-18147-092071400 1287448308_thumb.jpg

Hello, sorry about your troubles.

I am not a Dr, so i can't sit here and say that MMJ will help. I can say that i know people with similar problems and they have said that it helps.

Also, you do not need permission from your parents to obtain a card since you are 18. I hope this helps and hope you are able to work things out.

Hello, sorry about your troubles.

I am not a Dr, so i can't sit here and say that MMJ will help. I can say that i know people with similar problems and they have said that it helps.

Also, you do not need permission from your parents to obtain a card since you are 18. I hope this helps and hope you are able to work things out.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know that I can obtain one without my parents consent but my Dad said he would kick me out of the house. Problem is is that I'm to the breaking point and have so many anxieties that it is hard to even drive to therapy. My Dad thinks Marijuana will "eff" me up and calls it "dope". Is there any way to educate the ignorant?

Hello all, my Dad (a very close-minded man when it comes to this topic) is giving me a really rough time because I told him that I wanted to get a medical m

HI THERE!!

WELCOME TO THE SITE!!

not trying to make a statement one way or the other, but what i heard in your post was a lot of "what i told my dad". you never know until you contact a dr. and see.

perhaps maybe "this is what my doctor said and i approached my father with it" would be better :)

let your dad know what a medical professional thinks.

HI THERE!!

WELCOME TO THE SITE!!

not trying to make a statement one way or the other, but what i heard in your post was a lot of "what i told my dad". you never know until you contact a dr. and see.

perhaps maybe "this is what my doctor said and i approached my father with it" would be better :)

let your dad know what a medical professional thinks.

Very true, but I wanted to tell my psychiatrist after I had informed my parents of my intentions. Since I just recently turned 18, I haven't gotten the whole consensus (yet) that I'm not a minor anymore and as such no longer "belong" to my parents.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know that I can obtain one without my parents consent but my Dad said he would kick me out of the house. Problem is is that I'm to the breaking point and have so many anxieties that it is hard to even drive to therapy. My Dad thinks Marijuana will "eff" me up and calls it "dope". Is there any way to educate the ignorant?

I think you can only educate him with your actions. There is nothing you can say that will change his mind, now it's only the things you do.

If you really think cannabis helps you, get your card and show him how it helps you become a productive citizen rather than a ne'er do well layabout stoner. Sure, you risk getting kicked out of the house, but there is no reward without risk. Maybe it'll be the best thing that ever happened to either of you. He'll realize he's got a son that stands up for himself and isn't afraid to cut the apron strings, and you'll realize that those apron strings were keeping you from becoming your own man.

I have no clue of the intimate details of your situation, other than what you've said here, so I admit I'm taking some liberties here with my assumptions.

I think you can only educate him with your actions. There is nothing you can say that will change his mind, now it's only the things you do.

If you really think cannabis helps you, get your card and show him how it helps you become a productive citizen rather than a ne'er do well layabout stoner. Sure, you risk getting kicked out of the house, but there is no reward without risk. Maybe it'll be the best thing that ever happened to either of you. He'll realize he's got a son that stands up for himself and isn't afraid to cut the apron strings, and you'll realize that those apron strings were keeping you from becoming your own man.

I have no clue of the intimate details of your situation, other than what you've said here, so I admit I'm taking some liberties here with my assumptions.

Thank you! This is some great motivation, I want to do exactly that. Does having a mm card advocate having THC in your system if I wanted to get a job (drug testing)? Because my Dad believes that having a job is part of being a productive citizen, and I agree. I know that nothing is a "magic pill" that I have to do most of the work myself (seeing as how many medications I have been on before), but my chronic fears and anxieties about everyday things completely hold me back. And honestly, when I have taken marijuana in the past, it has helped a lot with that.

Thank you! This is some great motivation, I want to do exactly that. Does having a mm card advocate having THC in your system if I wanted to get a job (drug testing)? Because my Dad believes that having a job is part of being a productive citizen, and I agree. I know that nothing is a "magic pill" that I have to do most of the work myself (seeing as how many medications I have been on before), but my chronic fears and anxieties about everyday things completely hold me back. And honestly, when I have taken marijuana in the past, it has helped a lot with that.

Employers can still disqualify you for having it in your system legal or not. There are avenues to passing a drug screening if you're willing to take those steps, but that will probably just add to your anxiety.

Most part time jobs that college kids typically take(hint, hint) don't screen.

employers can disqualify you, and your parents can still kick you out of the house.

the problem i see, is that it would seem some of your reasons for getting it are kind of a stretch. people stretching their problems to try to fit it under the umbrella is going to hurt those that truly need it.

i remember trying to justify a new car stereo purchase to my dad, by telling him the color was distracting to me and was going to lead to an accident.

while if you need it, i advocate it's use, i also discourage people from using it simply because they want to legally use marijuana, and could really get along fine without it.

i know this may not be a popular view, and i don't feel anyone should be prosecuted because of a plant, but i also don't want to see more restrictions put into place, because too many people are fudging and making their ills seem more than what they are, just so they can smoke pot. this is a useful drug for many people and providing relief they have not had before. i don't want to see it get harder for them to get the medication they need.

employers can disqualify you, and your parents can still kick you out of the house.

the problem i see, is that it would seem some of your reasons for getting it are kind of a stretch. people stretching their problems to try to fit it under the umbrella is going to hurt those that truly need it.

i remember trying to justify a new car stereo purchase to my dad, by telling him the color was distracting to me and was going to lead to an accident.

while if you need it, i advocate it's use, i also discourage people from using it simply because they want to legally use marijuana, and could really get along fine without it.

i know this may not be a popular view, and i don't feel anyone should be prosecuted because of a plant, but i also don't want to see more restrictions put into place, because too many people are fudging and making their ills seem more than what they are, just so they can smoke pot. this is a useful drug for many people and providing relief they have not had before. i don't want to see it get harder for them to get the medication they need.

Hmm no, all of the reasons I listed are the truth. I have every single one of those problems and they have not been relieved by any medication I have been on. I would like to try medical marijuana because of that.

I would like to play devil's advocate a second. sorry. Daniel, please consider the repercussions of your actions. If you do get a doctor to sign off for you, what will your parents' reaction be? Are you under their roof? Are you under their insurance? Could you reasonably make do, if you didn't have their roof, and their insurance? Are you on any medications that could cause poor side effects if you use cannabis with them? Are you on medications that you could no longer afford, but may still need if you didn't live with them? I believe cannabis can help people with a great deal of issues. But it cannot pay your rent (at least not NEXT MONTH!) lol! Daniel you should consult a physician. One that has a more open mind towards cannabis, but also one that isn't just there to certify you. You need a doctor that can give you the big picture. It would be disingenuous for you to look only for a doctor that is willing to certify you. It sounds like there are a number of medical issues that should be weighed against one another here.

I would like to play devil's advocate a second. sorry. Daniel, please consider the repercussions of your actions. If you do get a doctor to sign off for you, what will your parents' reaction be? Are you under their roof? Are you under their insurance? Could you reasonably make do, if you didn't have their roof, and their insurance? Are you on any medications that could cause poor side effects if you use cannabis with them? Are you on medications that you could no longer afford, but may still need if you didn't live with them? I believe cannabis can help people with a great deal of issues. But it cannot pay your rent (at least not NEXT MONTH!) lol! Daniel you should consult a physician. One that has a more open mind towards cannabis, but also one that isn't just there to certify you. You need a doctor that can give you the big picture. It would be disingenuous for you to look only for a doctor that is willing to certify you. It sounds like there are a number of medical issues that should be weighed against one another here.

I have a current psychiatrist who I am going to ask, who may be open to it considering we have tried many things. Also, I have gotten off all of my medications over the course of three years after trying each (11th grade: celexa, abilify, 12th: cymbalta, resperidal, lamictal, Summer: vyvanse).

well, as of right now, i don't know that you qualify for it, anyway. occasional "heart pains" is not a qualifying condition.

at 18 years old, living with your parents, i'd suggest listening to them. you think you've got it all figured out, but you don't, brother. it's apparent to me that you've got your eyes on the prize, and are looking only for people who are going to tell you what you want to hear. if your psychiatrist doesn't tell you what you want to hear (which he/she probably is not going to recommend the use of mj), you'll look for the next person.

i'm sorry if i'm a downer for you, but there are too many people getting relief from this, and every one person who gets a card that doesn't truly need it, risks bringing the whole house down. while the goal is to get this more liberal, any screwups are just going to make it more strict.

sorry if it hurts your feelings, but i don't feel you qualify, and you won't be the first or last trying to get society to let you smoke weed without repercussion. thousands are using this as a medicine and don't need someone adding strength to the stereotype and stigma of being just another pothead. that is what i see, when i see people stretching the truth to get a card. call it whatever you want.

you want to smoke weed, smoke weed; it shouldn't be illegal in the first place. at 18, with your situation, i don't know that a card to do whatever you want is the answer.

Reply to phil78 -

Also remember that you are not the one who is qualified to make the decision on whether or not he is qualified for a card. You give yourself way to much credit. How would you understand his personal situation?

I imagine it took some guts to come on this site and ask for opinions. I give him credit that he has been through several medications on a trial basis. That he is working with his doctor despite his parents support.

I went through all of that crap too when I was younger, try this pill, it might work. Then they tried to do that to my teenage son. Guinea pigs is all we are because mental disorders are not understood. They will give you any little pill that will make you calm down, shut up and go away until your next appointment.

I too came to the conclusion that medical marijuana helps with anxiety and the like. I would be proud to be a test case for medical marijuana and mental disorders. Give this young man some credit for having a brain, and being able to make good decisions for his medical future instead of calling him out at a pothead due to his age. That is not what the MMMA promotes as brotherhood.

Phil hit it right on. This is not a qualifying condition. Based on your story of psychiatric problems marijuana may even be contraindicated for you.

I would ask Dr. Bob on the adjoining thread perhaps with more details of your situation. From what you have described this is not a qualifying condition even though it is obviously serious or disabling. Depression and all the rest are not covered under the MMMA law. It is possible the qualifying conditions could be expanded but we are still trying to figure out what is there.

Archived