So What Changed Yesterday

stlhdr

What is that quote, something about the arc of history bending toward justice? It may take a while yet, but we've come a long way. At least I don't have to watch another egg frying in a commercial about my brain, which was inevitably followed by a budweiser commercial...

Can we get this back on track to the original question -- What did change with this election?

In Michigan, the Republicans hold a supermajority in the Senate, a majority in the House, the Governorship, Attorney General, and Supreme Court. What specific things could happen to derail our movement?

• Could 'they' limit, curtail, or eliminate dispensaries?
  • Could 'they' limit, curtail, or eliminate compassion clubs?
  • Could 'they' limit, curtail, or eliminate P2P transfers?
  • Could 'they' tighten restrictions on doctor's recommendations and the patient certification process?
  • Could 'they' mess with the voter-enacted system of 12 plants per patient, 5 patients per caregiver?

I don't mean 'Do republicans want to do these things?', instead I mean: do they have the ability now?

Does the Tea Party's influence lean toward being libertarian or 'conservative family values'?

Don't you all complain then when they regulate our medical marijuana law to death and only allow big business to grow it.

From Issue 4 of The Midwest Cultivator

Q1 DO YOU support our Medical Marijuana law

Rick Snyder - Y

Q2 IF ELECTED would you sponser and/or support a "regulation & taxation system" for cannabis, much like what is in place for alcohol and tobacco?

Rick Snyder - N

For the law to be changed it would take 75% in favor in both houses. There hasn't been a state yet that has emasculated their MMJ law much less rescind it.

Change will come, but expect that with anything in it's infancy.

Good questions, we really need to know what they are most likely to do. Dispensaries are prob'ly a goner. If people hadn't pushed that issue this day might look differently. I know there's times when something like that is needed but I still honestly believe, with all my heart, that it was the wrong time to start them. It's just my opinion. I might've been for them if things were different, because I do see the need, but it seems many were run improperly, which caused deep trauma for those who did try to run them within legal limits. My heart goes out to those who are suffering now, who lost everything because they were entrapped by leo.

So now we must see what our options are, what is likely to happen, pull together, and work from there.

Peace.

Sb

Many of you have fears that are somewhat baseless. First we need to examine this, what exactly is the function of the Attorney General? While the Attorney General of the U.S. is indeed America's top cop. The Attorney General of Michigan is not Michigan's numero uno. In effect the Attorney General of Michigan is Michigan's top LAWYER, Michigans legal representative. The Governor is ultimately Michigan's top cop. Mr. Schuette may have some sway, but not the ultimate say. I think that once he is in office, he will find himself much to busy defending his affiliation with a variety of factions, defending the laws of Michigan, etc. to concern himself much with our issue. If that isn't the case then we will make it the case. We can tie him up severly by bringing his Hezbollah ties to the surface. His ties to corruption in his home area. There are so many fronts where he can and will be confronted. Don't be cowed by his overwhelming win, he doesn't have the power needed to gut our law. Remain calm, we are watching his every move and this man will not be allowed to take away our basic rights because we still have some power reserves at the ready...Peace...j.b.

What have we lost?

We MAY have lost the dispensaries Statewide.

We MAY have lost the co-ops and farmers markets.

We MAY have lost legal CG/CG and Patient-to-patient transfers and the openness of some of the private events.

We have NOT lost the law which allows caregivers with 5 patients to grow up to 72 plants.

We have NOT lost the affirmative defense which protects medical marijuana patients and lets us purchase and use legally (even though it may or may not be legal for the seller unless he is your CG).

Remember this is a 1 vote margin now. Contrary to popular opinion there is a libertarian wing of the Republican party that is very accepting of marijuana as medicine and even tolerant of legalization so we cannot assume all the Republican judges will vote in lockstep. Can we?

Basically what changed is we went from a lame duck attorney general who disapproved of the MMMA to a drug warrior who is looking to make a big name for himself and there isn't a better way to appear to be tough on crime than to ring up some high profile drug busts. Look at all the favorable publicity that went to the Axis of Evil in Oakland County. All they had to do was portray sick people seeking medicine as drug fiends invading a neighborhood near you to scare the uninformed into picturing a meth lab exploding in the house next door.

Bull Schuette is a dangerous Reefer Madness zealot looking to enhance his resume by cracking down on ,"dope-smoking employees in Michigan". If you haven't read the article from the link posted by Fluffygrrrl check it out.

http://www.ourmidland.com/opinion/editorials/article_9b952d7a-7f33-5b6a-95ca-450ab8c21a7e.html

He will do his best to shut down all clubs, farmers markets and dispensaries for starters and he will dream up more ways to harass medical cannabis users. The group calling themselves the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan (PAAM) has issued guidelines which identifies what they call "Catch 22" portions of the law:

"Individuals who have been issued a marihuana registry

identification card can legally purchase marihuana, but

the person selling it to them can be prosecuted."

and,

"Qualifying patients can cultivate their own medical

marihuana, but there is no place to legally purchase the

seeds."

So they think they have a couple of ways they can bust us anyway even if we think we are in full compliance with the law by having a card and no more than 12 plants and 2.5 ounces. Their position is, "There is no way for you to have seeds or clones so you broke the law." Will they win court? That's a good question and that leads to the second thing that changed.

The make up of the Supreme Court could be the biggest change. We went from a 5 to 4 liberal court to a 5 to 4 Engler court. A one vote margin, but all they need is a one vote majority. Remember Bush v Gore was decided by one vote and we ended up squandering our national treasures in Iraq. The Citizens United ruling was decided by one vote and now corporations, including foreign corporations, can funnel unlimited amounts of money into local elections.

In mid September Alton Davis and Denise Langford Morris had big leads over Young and Kelly. The Republican party spent $3.4 million on Supreme Court ads (the most in the nation) compared to $2.4 million by the Dems, but an out of state group spent another $1.7 million targeting Davis. In six weeks Young went from last place to first place because of the one vote decision in Citizens United.

I'm glad to learn that one of the Republicans on our court has some Libertarian leanings. Are you referring to Markman? One vote will be crucial to the cases now making their way to the Supreme Court.

I'm so stressed and on edge that I can barely think. I've started to reply to several posts today and couldn't pull my thoughts together. I'm tired. I was hoping to be able to sit back and enjoy the show as Leyton put the brakes on the rogue regime in Oakland County. I felt pretty good about these cases that are working their way to the Supreme Court.

Now, because they have successfully played the fear card and motivated their base, we are looking at a whole new ball game.

I'm going to get some rest and try to get my thoughts together.

<_<

Southern,

'Aint nothin' but a 'thang' , Baby...... Get some rest!

Nothing changes on New Years Day and 'nothing' has changed now.

Take it easy for a while... give yourself a break... you deserve it.

We all do.

But after I get myself a spell of down time ... I'll be right back at it. Count on it.

Basically what changed is we went from a lame duck attorney general who disapproved of the MMMA to a drug warrior who is looking to make a big name for himself and there isn't a better way to appear to be tough on crime than to ring up some high profile drug busts. Look at all the favorable publicity that went to the Axis of Evil in Oakland County. All they had to do was portray sick people seeking medicine as drug fiends invading a neighborhood near you to scare the uninformed into picturing a meth lab exploding in the house next door.

Bull Schuette is a dangerous Reefer Madness zealot looking to enhance his resume by cracking down on ,"dope-smoking employees in Michigan". If you haven't read the article from the link posted by Fluffygrrrl check it out.

http://www.ourmidlan...0ab8c21a7e.html

He will do his best to shut down all clubs, farmers markets and dispensaries for starters and he will dream up more ways to harass medical cannabis users. The group calling themselves the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan (PAAM) has issued guidelines which identifies what they call "Catch 22" portions of the law:

"Individuals who have been issued a marihuana registry

identification card can legally purchase marihuana, but

the person selling it to them can be prosecuted."

and,

"Qualifying patients can cultivate their own medical

marihuana, but there is no place to legally purchase the

seeds."

So they think they have a couple of ways they can bust us anyway even if we think we are in full compliance with the law by having a card and no more than 12 plants and 2.5 ounces. Their position is, "There is no way for you to have seeds or clones so you broke the law." Will they win court? That's a good question and that leads to the second thing that changed.

The make up of the Supreme Court could be the biggest change. We went from a 5 to 4 liberal court to a 5 to 4 Engler court. A one vote margin, but all they need is a one vote majority. Remember Bush v Gore was decided by one vote and we ended up squandering our national treasures in Iraq. The Citizens United ruling was decided by one vote and now corporations, including foreign corporations, can funnel unlimited amounts of money into local elections.

In mid September Alton Davis and Denise Langford Morris had big leads over Young and Kelly. The Republican party spent $3.4 million on Supreme Court ads (the most in the nation) compared to $2.4 million by the Dems, but an out of state group spent another $1.7 million targeting Davis. In six weeks Young went from last place to first place because of the one vote decision in Citizens United.

I'm glad to learn that one of the Republicans on our court has some Libertarian leanings. Are you referring to Markman? One vote will be crucial to the cases now making their way to the Supreme Court.

Yes, we should not assume just as you pointed out that 'judges' will always lean toward 'party' policy when making court decisions.

And we can ALWAYS hope that some of the other 'conservative(?)' judges ALSO have a streak of 'Libertarian' in them.

But what we don't need to do is make the situation any more 'mental' for us than need be.

Cool heads and hearts are what we need now.

Anger and depression only serve to 'blind' us.

And you can bet next election I'll be taking 18 people to the polls instead of just 9.

Southern,

'Aint nothin' but a 'thang' , Baby...... Get some rest!

Nothing changes on New Years Day and 'nothing' has changed now.

Take it easy for a while... give yourself a break... you deserve it.

We all do.

But after I get myself a spell of down time ... I'll be right back at it. Count on it.

Thanx! I got some rest. My meds still work.

And the girls are looking great. :D

I'm back! :kfu:

Thanx! I got some rest. My meds still work.

And the girls are looking great. :D

I'm back! :kfu:

Thanks for your insights, very much appreciated. I try to avoid politics in general, as it makes me very angry and full of stress. Unfortunately at times like this I lack the knowledge to interpret the situation.

Archived