Quotes To Live By

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. " ~ John Wayne in the Shootist

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him." ~ James D. Miles

"We have the wolf by the ears, and we can neither hold him, nor safely let him go. Justice is in one scale, and self-preservation in the other." ~ Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Holmes, Apr 22, 1820

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation. – Thomas B. Reed (1886)

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. – P.J. O'Rourke

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that, too. – Somerset Maugham

Liberty is always dangerous, but it is the safest thing we have. – Harry Emerson Fosdick

An Avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he a establishes a precedent that will reach to himself. – Thomas Paine (1795)

Left-wing politicians take away your liberty in the name of children and of fighting poverty, while right-wing politicians do it in the name of family values and fighting drugs. Either way, government gets bigger and you become less free. – Harry Browne

Alcohol didn't cause the high crime rates of the '20s and '30s, Prohibition did. And drugs do not cause today's alarming crime rates, but drug prohibition does. – US District Judge James C. Paine, addressing the Federal Bar Association in Miami, November, 1991

Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and makes crimes out of things that are not crimes. A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded. – Abraham Lincoln

The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this. – Albert Einstein

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it. – Martin Luther King, Jr.

Here are some of my favs:

In the beginning there was nothing. Then God said, “ Let there be light,” and there still was nothing, but you could see it...

The problem with some people is that when they aren’t drunk, they’re sober. Wm Butler Yeats...

If I throw a stick will you leave?....

How would you like your face turned into a crime scene....

My memory is not as sharp as it used to be; also, my memory is not as sharp as it used to be....

Everyone have a good day!

Tom Purcell, Esq

Genesee County

Who are yo to judge the life I live?

I know I'm not perfect. I don't live to be

but, before you start pointing your finger,

make sure your hands are clean. Robert Nesta Marley

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love;

this is the eternal rule. Budda

One of my favorite poems:

Ships? Sure I'll sail them. Show me the boat, If it'll float, I'll sail it.

Men? Yes I'll love them. If they've got style, To make me smile, I'll love them.

Life? 'Course I'll live it. Just enough breath, Until my death, And I'll live it.

Failure? I'm not ashamed to tell it, I never learned to spell it. Not failure. Maya Angelou

"Be sure to put your feet in the right place - then stand firm!" Abraham Lincoln. "The man (or woman) who doesn't stand for something will surely fall for anything" Reverend Peter Marshall. "The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of our government in the next generation!" Abraham Lincoln. "We have the responsibility,to be concerned with what they are learning today in our schools". Wingnut..

The quote in my sig line is currently my favorite.

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all." - Mario Savio

I have it good authority that this nut is cracked up .. :)

I think we all are to some degree.You would have to be a nut to stay somewhat same in this insane world.I see us as a assortment of nuts...cashews,pistachios and peanuts.All nuts but some more than others.But in a good way of course.

I love quotes, I could go on and on...here are just a few of my favorite pearls of wisdom:

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places IF you look at it right. -R. Hunter/J. Garcia

"There is a reason for everything. Perhaps at the moment the event occurs we have neither the insight nor the foresight to comprehend it's meaning, but with time and patience it will come to light" -B. L. Weiss MD

"Buyers are Liars" -Anyone who's ever worked in sales

"If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...cuz I'm going to burn one down". -B. Harper

"It's so good, Once it hits your lips it tastes so good!" -F. The Tank

"...What is this, you are going to wear THIS to the show...you are going to wear the shirt of the band you are going to see...don't be that guy" -Droz, PCU

Archived