Got Gnats

md420

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hanging those sticky fly strips by the lights will collect a bunch of them but does not eliminate them. When you get a good answer let me know. :rolleyes:

"Go Gnat". Any Hydro store will carry it. Read the instructions on back, but you can spray the plants AND mix to water them. Also using Green sand if you are growing in soil is supposed to slice em up! :sword: Good luck, hope this helps!!!

It sounds like you may have fungus gnats. I would start by getting the sticky bug strips like fly traps and hang them in every corner of the room and that will usually keep them under control. If they appear to be burrowing into your pot top your containers with coconut coir and it will act as a natural bug barrier. I recommend doing that anyways them buggers really like burrowing through your hydroton rocks and munching on your roots.

"Go Gnat". Any Hydro store will carry it. Read the instructions on back, but you can spray the plants AND mix to water them. Also using Green sand if you are growing in soil is supposed to slice em up! :sword: Good luck, hope this helps!!!

green sand huh i sure need sumthin. Seems like they started a lil while after i hooked up a humidifier

bubblegrower, have u ever used this product or would you know if u can put this in your soil? I seen your plants and it seems that you would probably have the answer your plants look very healthy

yes, you add a layer to the top of your soil. i usually go about 1/4" thick. it will cut their bodies up. and their eggs will dry out.

I believe you are supposed to mix it in soil. I grow organic and put greensand in my mix when I make my soil .You can find it at your local hardware if they carry organic gardening supply.It is supposed to cut larvae up.

correct, you can mix it in from the very beginning. but if your plants are already established, and you did not mix it in initially, a simple layer on top will work just fine. no need to disturb the soil too much. it will work itself in as you water.

what soil are you using? I had a horrible time with 'em. Got the sticky traps and they worked wonders, but like it was said, it doesn't get rid of them totally. I had to switch my soil. It was hard to uproot my 18" plants and put them in different soil, but it literally stopped them all together. NO PROBLEMS SINCE! Again, it depends somewhat on your soil. I switched from Miracle Grow Organic to Fox Farm Happy Frog. Hope this helps!

what soil are you using? I had a horrible time with 'em. Got the sticky traps and they worked wonders, but like it was said, it doesn't get rid of them totally. I had to switch my soil. It was hard to uproot my 18" plants and put them in different soil, but it literally stopped them all together. NO PROBLEMS SINCE! Again, it depends somewhat on your soil. I switched from Miracle Grow Organic to Fox Farm Happy Frog. Hope this helps!

no buny muffin im using miracle grow also ugh. where can you get fox farm happy frog at ?

i have a problem with these gnats too...but it doesn't seem like they're damaging my plants at all. My roots are still white and healthy. I notice they crawl around on the top and take flight but do they really do any harm to the plants..I've already brought one harvest through with no problem. I've been adding some hydrogen peroxide to my water as well to keep the roots healthy, and let the soil get real dry in between waterings, but i just can't see being able to get rid of all of them. Are they really that bad?

i have a problem with these gnats too...but it doesn't seem like they're damaging my plants at all. My roots are still white and healthy. I notice they crawl around on the top and take flight but do they really do any harm to the plants..I've already brought one harvest through with no problem. I've been adding some hydrogen peroxide to my water as well to keep the roots healthy, and let the soil get real dry in between waterings, but i just can't see being able to get rid of all of them. Are they really that bad?

the larvae that are hatched in the soil do the most harm to the plant by eating? the roots. I have had them as well and never noticed anything significant.

no buny muffin im using miracle grow also ugh. where can you get fox farm happy frog at ?

GroBlue, Ann Arbor has Happy Frog

I had the same issue w/gnat's - used 1"+ of sand as a top layer to my soil mix...seems to have worked.

• 1 month later...