Got Gnats

md420

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not to sure if its the miracle grow b/c I'm using happy frog and fox farm and I'm having a fungus gnat issue as well.

Switch to Pro-Mix or another quality soilless mix. It looks, smells, and feels, like high quality garden soil; but is bug-free and not loaded with time-release nutes.

Repot everything, and don't overwater but make sure you fertilize routinely as Pro-Mix has no nutes past a couple days worth.

Available at Hydro Harrys and other shops for about $35 a bale that is 3.5 cubic feet.

Real Dirt, like potting soils, is often the source of the fungus gnats infestation.

Stop bringing them home, and the problem will cease.

i have a problem with these gnats too...but it doesn't seem like they're damaging my plants at all. My roots are still white and healthy. I notice they crawl around on the top and take flight but do they really do any harm to the plants..I've already brought one harvest through with no problem. I've been adding some hydrogen peroxide to my water as well to keep the roots healthy, and let the soil get real dry in between waterings, but i just can't see being able to get rid of all of them. Are they really that bad?

Yes.

If the problem persists over a long enough period of time, and you are effective at making life hell on Earth for them in the top layers of soil, they will burrow into the roots and make thier way into the stem of the plant.

It's called systemic infestation, and is common in advanced fungus environments which the gnats create on the roots.

Once a fungus has gone systemic in a plant, (like Powdery Mildew or Fungus Gnats), it is almost impossible to get rid of it even with cloning.

The best bet is to try a respected fungicide and hope for the best; if one treatment routine does not work try cloning the very top of the plant where the fungus is usually latest to arrive at.

I used to use miracle grow potting soil, and had a terrible fungus gnat problem. I also tried the dairy doo and still got gnats, now Im using fox farm soil. I dont have near as many gnats now but theyre still there. Im gonna try the green sand suggestion. I am beginning to believe theres always gonna be gnats.

I used to use miracle grow potting soil, and had a terrible fungus gnat problem. I also tried the dairy doo and still got gnats, now Im using fox farm soil. I dont have near as many gnats now but theyre still there. Im gonna try the green sand suggestion. I am beginning to believe theres always gonna be gnats.

Predatory Nematodes will ravage anything it comes into contactg with. Then once they eat all their prey they eat each other as a food source. Gnarly bastuurds.

A light drench in the top soil layer, w/ a Neem Product like Azatrol, should help. Crush up Mosquito Dunks which contain BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) and place on top layer of soil. These treatments are not to be used along w/ predatory nematodes. Place yellow sticky traps throughout the room. I like to have one in each plant. These will help you monitor the population, as well as take many out in the process. You can also try putting lids on your containers to make it more difficult for them to find the soil.

Frank, my co-teacher at Roseville American Cannabis College, says it takes 3 days to wipe out gnats. Into a spray bottle of water drop a couple aspirins, some dish detergent (he recommends Dawn), leave sit a few minutes then shake. Spray all plant parts until dripping wet. Don't freak, after the solution dries the aspirin will leave a white film on the leaves, stems, buds. After the third full day, spray with clear water and the white film will disapppear.

In case of a second occurrence of gnats suspect the drains as the source. Attack every drain in the house or grow building. First pour a gallon of boiling water down every drain, then follow with one cup of bleach. After half hour flush with plain water.

I have never tried, but Frank says it has worked in his indoor and greenhouse grows.

Frank, my co-teacher at Roseville American Cannabis College, says it takes 3 days to wipe out gnats. Into a spray bottle of water drop a couple aspirins, some dish detergent (he recommends Dawn), leave sit a few minutes then shake. Spray all plant parts until dripping wet. Don't freak, after the solution dries the aspirin will leave a white film on the leaves, stems, buds. After the third full day, spray with clear water and the white film will disapppear.

In case of a second occurrence of gnats suspect the drains as the source. Attack every drain in the house or grow building. First pour a gallon of boiling water down every drain, then follow with one cup of bleach. After half hour flush with plain water.

I have never tried, but Frank says it has worked in his indoor and greenhouse grows.

No No No do not try aspirins and Dawn in water. It will kill your plants or severely set them back. I tried on a few and they appear to be their way out. In 12 hours the center tops had turned sickly light green and in 24 hours had rust spots and begun to curl upward and visibly shrink.

now thats interesting

i have been using fox farms happy frog, and had gnats all summer, a few weeks ago, i decided to try a run in a organic mix from a friend up here named shredder.

so i mixed up a batch, and have been using it now for a few weeks. the last happy frog cycled out last week, when i chopped one down.

i didn't really think about it, but since i switched to the new soil, i haven't seen the pesky bass turd little air force patrolling my veg room.

i thought it was because i expanded, changed lights, cleaned and moved everything....again...LOL (it's just kinda funny how many times "things change" in the grow area)

so maybe its the soil...

no gnats right now

none spotted in a week or better

there may be something to this.

OH

LOL

i m an idiot...fookin meds....crushing my short term memoryz

i had a 1/4 bag of miracle grow organic mix left from a early on trial run, and a few days ago when i moved it from under the table (i was thinkin of using it with seedlings because its light on nutes) it was teaming with the little bass turds when i opened it.....growl.gif

i put it outside in the snow to freeze them.....

miracle grow = gnats

for sure

confirmed...

No No No do not try aspirins and Dawn in water. It will kill your plants or severely set them back. I tried on a few and they appear to be their way out. In 12 hours the center tops had turned sickly light green and in 24 hours had rust spots and begun to curl upward and visibly shrink.

Well I guess I missed the part where he said only 2 drop of Dawn, no more. So will test only 2 drops of Dawn, an apsirin, and water.

• 2 weeks later...

After months of battling these little buggers, I seem to have broken the cycle through the use of pulverized mosquito dunks that are used as a soil drench and top dressing. $10 at Lowe's for a pack of six, and I only needed two for 24 plants. They last for 30 days and are 100% organic.

I'm also using green sand on top of my soil, as well as the occasional Azatrol soil drench, but they didn't seem to put much a dent in it.

now thats interesting

i have been using fox farms happy frog, and had gnats all summer, a few weeks ago, i decided to try a run in a organic mix from a friend up here named shredder.

so i mixed up a batch, and have been using it now for a few weeks. the last happy frog cycled out last week, when i chopped one down.

i didn't really think about it, but since i switched to the new soil, i haven't seen the pesky bass turd little air force patrolling my veg room.

i thought it was because i expanded, changed lights, cleaned and moved everything....again...LOL (it's just kinda funny how many times "things change" in the grow area)

so maybe its the soil...

no gnats right now

none spotted in a week or better

there may be something to this.

OH

LOL

i m an idiot...fookin meds....crushing my short term memoryz

i had a 1/4 bag of miracle grow organic mix left from a early on trial run, and a few days ago when i moved it from under the table (i was thinkin of using it with seedlings because its light on nutes) it was teaming with the little bass turds when i opened it.....growl.gif

i put it outside in the snow to freeze them.....

miracle grow = gnats

for sure

confirmed...

That is interesting....a lil dif for me. the ONLY soil ive used and not had gnats....happy frog. but to the op.... use that diamiticus earth or how ever u spell it. works great kills all the babies....safe for u safe for ur plants...kills em dead

I just posted this at another site........

I use Happy frog now, But I used to use Ocean forest.

We have never really had a gnat problem..................................

the following was my original post at another site;

Honestly.........I am going to knock on wood before I say this......Knock Knock

We don't have a gnat problem.

We don't over water, and if we do notice a gnat or 2 upon opening new dirt............we use a fan(or several) and direct them at the top of the soil. It keeps them from landing and being able to breed.

Watch where you are getting your dirt from. Some places keep their stock outside in the open. I would ask if you can't tell where they keep their stock. If it is laying out side (Home depot style) then get your dirt elsewhere.

Ive had fungus gnats pop out of every type of soil i have ever used , started putting 1-3 drops dr. bronners hemp-peppermint pure castile soap per 5 gal water and fungus gnats disappeared plus plants seem to like , read its loosens locked salts also. I put 1 drop per 2 gal for foliage and it helps loosen foliage oils for better foliate nutrient uptake. Also to get rid of big infestation , put vinegar in cup , wrap with plastic wrap , punch holes and gnats will get trapped inside... if you use plastic 2-3 gallon containers , spray outer rim with vegetable oil spray , will turn to tacky strip and gnats will get stuck with no toxins . Also rotating fans will keep gnats and mites at bay...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

After months of battling these little buggers, I seem to have broken the cycle through the use of pulverized mosquito dunks that are used as a soil drench and top dressing. $10 at Lowe's for a pack of six, and I only needed two for 24 plants. They last for 30 days and are 100% organic.

I'm also using green sand on top of my soil, as well as the occasional Azatrol soil drench, but they didn't seem to put much a dent in it.

Thanks. Seems like the best solution.

I've had the gnats in my house plants, driving me crazy! Here's what worked for me. Let soil dry completely. Use a couple of drops of dish soap in a quart of hot water. The water must be hot enough to not be able to hold your hand under it for more than 15-30 seconds. You must completely cover the top of the soil, don't miss any spots. The hot water doesn't harm your plants, it kills the eggs. I've noticed that the bottom of the planters that have holes there are an escape route for the gnats. In that case, I soaked the bottom part of the planter in the water for a couple of minutes. Make sure the fan is on them to help dry the soil. I drained off excess water by tipping the planter. I've had to do it again a couple of weeks later, but there is only a couple of gnats that were left. This process has worked for me. I tried neem oil and a few other things. The sand also is a great deterrent. I live on a fixed income and cannot afford some of the other suggestions for soil replacement. My plants are so much happier and are really thriving now.

Gnats are one of the things we get when we use good live earth. Live earth is preferable and always better than that sterilized lifeless soil.

I get a few gnats every once in a while, but not many. I pour a little apple cider vinegar in a few jar caps or saucers and set them in the grow. They love the apple cider vinegar and the next day, there's a bunch of drowned little gnats in the caps. Empty, rinse, repeat as needed. Works for me.

They can be a pest but not nearly as bad as spider mites.

Best of luck. :thumbsu:

is there anyone out there that can help me with a problem that i started having bout 3 weeks already its NATS (those lil flyin bugs). Is there any way of getting rid of them without harming my plants. Any advice would be very much appreciated thanx to all my CGs . MD420

I found a good product it's from SeaBright and they are yellow cards with a sticky side and twist ties that you can hang from the lower branch of the plant, And the Nats are attracted to them..They come in a package of about 10 and you should be able to find them at your local hydro store.